Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, Hoth said:

That's awesome, Steve. I love weather stories like this, so let me return a short anecdote in kind. Back in the '30s, John Nicholas Brown II built a house on Fishers Island called "Windshield." It was an extremely modern structure, a passion project for Mr. Brown with lots of glass and gadgets, and was several years in planning and construction. It was finally finished in the summer of '38. The family was extremely wealthy and had a lot of help, including a trained English butler. The story goes that a few weeks after they moved in, the hurricane struck. That afternoon, the butler came into living room and announced very nonchalantly, almost casually, to Mrs. Brown, "Tea is served, madame, and, oh yes, the roof is blowing off." And blow off it did. The house was destroyed weeks after being finished.

windshield.jpg

woah that looks modern for 38, who was the architect 

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That sucks, you have a place to shower? Are you on well water?

Sounds like my family in Woodstock are still out and were told maybe by Monday.  That area though has to be low on the priority list compared to like Kev’s neighborhoods, pretty rural with relatively lower number of customers.

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was on the Cog headed up Mt Washington in August  65 when a snow squall hit and they sent us back down. We were vacationing in Maine in an unheated cabin that was cold as hell. I can recall that morning waking up like yesterday.  Teeth chattering cold.

Cannon...36/26 with 0.7" snow.

image.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Third world infrastructure in CT?

interesting lady took over Public Utility oversight. She is from Maryland and is kicking ass. Her interviews are a breath of fresh air from the pandering politicians we are used to. To top it all off Eversource increased our delivery charges this month by 40% . Some people got 600 to 800 bills when they used the same energy and paid 300 last year.

The company doesn't reinvest but doles out stock like crazy. Went from 60 to like 80 this year . CEO made 9 million in bonus, total salary 20 million.  They are a joke. They have had a crew sitting outside my daughter's house for 5 days as there is a live line hitting a guardrail on heavily traveled Rt 138. 12 hour shifts watching a live line. Fuking nutz

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Sounds like my family in Woodstock are still out and were told maybe by Monday.  That area though has to be low on the priority list compared to like Kev’s neighborhoods, pretty rural with relatively lower number of customers.

This describes my house.  Lots of work to do for minor (2 customers) gain.  Tree still down on the wires although half the road has been cleared to allow car passage.  At least the generator gives me power to the well pump, furnace, microwave, fridge, computer and internet.  Amazingly the tree is resting on the Comcast cable and it still works.

7 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

This describes my house.  Lots of work to do for minor (2 customers) gain.  Tree still down on the wires although half the road has been cleared to allow car passage.  At least the generator gives me power to the well pump, furnace, microwave, fridge, computer and internet.  Amazingly the tree is resting on the Comcast cable and it still works.

Nice to have that genny and cable. We lost wifi after the first day but I have an antenna for the TV so I could chill at night.  Hope you get it fixed. Gas or fixed genny? 

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Oh for sure. The house was cursed. Blew down in '38. Browns rebuilt it. Then it burned to the ground a few decades later. The lot where it stood is an empty field now.

Any rebuild pics? Such an interesting story. 38 changed a lot of things.  Since moving up here from Westerly I am amazed at the lack of Emergency Prep and recovery.  Westerly suffered the most casualties from 38 and they never forget. They have a plan pre and post and its wonderful how quickly things are brought back to normal.  I thought after Irene that my town and area would learn. Its actually become worse.