Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

That low temp seems way out of alignment with other stations around it. It was closer to 54 degrees unless you were in a unique cold pocket.

His spot won’t be beat for rad cooling.  

He’s I think a little higher than you but right along a river bottom.  

Hes got like the SLK set-up... which is high elevation but at the bottom of a valley.  Your photos look like you’ll have a more mid-slope climate.  I bet the bottom of your hill or where the road is down in that valley between you and the Presidential's there was well into the 40s last night.  Any stations to compare to down there?

Even where I am and MVL, we can be at least 10F cooler at 750ft than 1,500ft base of the ski resort on clear/calm nights.   1500ft here is more mid-slope and stays mixed. 

• Like 1

I think in the past Alex has said he’s near where I think that RT 302 marker is at the mouth of Bretton Woods.

Thats an insane set up for very cold mins... bottom of the river valley but elevated at 1500-1600ft... with close terrain rises to over 2,500ft on all sides, draining cold air into that pocket.  

If you want to see summer frosts, that’s one of the best looking geographic set-ups you’ll find for massive radiational cooling.  I bet the minute that little valley goes into the shade around sunset that open flat river basin drops 10 degrees in minutes.

Even people living up those small roads up at 1,800ft probably don’t see anywhere close to the temps that pool just a few hundred feet lower.

1DEB5DBB-EFA9-44D4-A14C-6292CA41E188.jpeg.e8758eadfa017d4fd3409662b57a8f70.jpeg

2 hours ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

Any chance you or anyone could provide a link to that Northeast dew map?  I’ve been on that site, but can’t figure out how to get that Northeast view. I used to use USair.net for dews, but it doesn’t work for me any longer. 

Here's the link:

https://vortex.plymouth.edu/myo/sfc/pltmap.html

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I think in the past Alex has said he’s near where I think that RT 302 marker is at the mouth of Bretton Woods.

Thats an insane set up for very cold mins... bottom of the river valley but elevated at 1500-1600ft... with close terrain rises to over 2,500ft on all sides, draining cold air into that pocket.  

If you want to see summer frosts, that’s one of the best looking geographic set-ups you’ll find for massive radiational cooling.  I bet the minute that little valley goes into the shade around sunset that open flat river basin drops 10 degrees in minutes.

Even people living up those small roads up at 1,800ft probably don’t see anywhere close to the temps that pool just a few hundred feet lower.

1DEB5DBB-EFA9-44D4-A14C-6292CA41E188.jpeg.e8758eadfa017d4fd3409662b57a8f70.jpeg

Correct - I have circled my spot above. It's the lowest spot in this high elevation valley, close to the river - it radiates like crazy. I've seen difference of 5-10 degrees between here and the Mount Washington Hotel 1.5 miles down the road on a slight hill! 

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Our place has far less elevation with which to work, but it's an ideal set-up for cold.  The field to our north drains cold air across the road and into the yard but it doesn't infiltrate into the dense forest next to our lawn - only 100' elevation change from the top of the field to my recording thermometer but I'd guess my growing season is 3 weeks shorter than at the trailer a quarter mile away just north of the top of the field.
Upper 40s this morning, first sub-50 since June 18.  Haven't checked the records (and may not bother) but the 49-day run of minima 50+ is undoubtedly the longest here, as no July before last month had recorded fewer than 3 sub-50 minima

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Our place has far less elevation with which to work, but it's an ideal set-up for cold.  The field to our north drains cold air across the road and into the yard but it doesn't infiltrate into the dense forest next to our lawn - only 100' elevation change from the top of the field to my recording thermometer but I'd guess my growing season is 3 weeks shorter than at the trailer a quarter mile away just north of the top of the field.
Upper 40s this morning, first sub-50 since June 18.  Haven't checked the records (and may not bother) but the 49-day run of minima 50+ is undoubtedly the longest here, as no July before last month had recorded fewer than 3 sub-50 minima

The random freezes are what makes the growing season so short. A couple of years ago we had a single cold night in mid August that killed my tomatoes, followed by not even frost for another month. That was frustrating...