• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday, July 22, 2020 and/or Thursday, July 23, 2020 Severe Threat

weatherwiz

If this doesn't pan out then I am banning myself. It is now almost August and it's been CRAP. It's been absolute crap and I don't want to hear any arguments stating otherwise. This summer is pure trash and it needs to be recognized as so. This is not an appropriate summer and this better never, ever happen again. It's just been pathetic. 

Anyways let's try again Wednesday and/or Thursday. Right now, Thursday perhaps may have the better potential. This is when stronger forcing associated with a shortwave trough traversing the U.S./Canadian border digs towards the Northeast. This feature looks to be associated with a modest belt of 30-40 knots of shear at 500mb. This isn't overly impressive, however, with over 30 knots of shear at 700mb this should be enough to generate enough bulk shear for organized convective potential. At the surface, strong moisture pooling ahead of an approaching cold front should crank dewpoints well into the 70's. While mid-level lapse rates will be fairly poor (OF COURSE) 70's dews combined with surface temperatures into the 80's should contribute to enough instability (when combined with the shear) to warrant organized line segments with the potential to embedded areas of damaging winds and perhaps a few wet microbursts. 

We're nearing turn 3 and soon heading towards turn 4. Ridiculous

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 5

BOX 
It looks like the more active of the two days appears to be on
Thursday, as a fairly strong trough in prevailing quasi-zonal flow
moves across the Great Lakes into northwest NY. This will spread a
cold front across much of New England, with at least scattered
thunderstorms to develop along and ahead of the front. The better
upper support mostly passes to our north. However noted the still
fairly strong unidirectional wind fields with related speed shear
contributing to effective bulk shear values around 40 kt, with LI`s -
4 to -7C and most-unstable CAPEs ranging from 1500 to 2500 J/kg. A
few stronger storms certainly possible and severe is not out of the
question given the above favorable shear-instability parameter
space. Potential for localized torrential downpours as well, but
fairly fast storm motions could limit the duration of torrential
rain. There are the mesoscale details that need to be narrowed down
a bit more, but from a synoptic standpoint Thursday will need to be
watched. Leftover thunder should move off the coast of SE MA before
midnight on Thursday night, with cooler and increasingly drier air
filtering in by early Friday.

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

GFS looks rather solid for Thursday. That's a pretty potent s/w digging in with ample shear and perhaps moderate instability. Might be an early start to the show too. 

DC ok for Cole v Scherzer Thursday night ?

5 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Hi Wiz I’m here with my standard “will there be an EML present either day?” question

unfortunately not...though there could be some "steeper" lapse rates around Thursday (6-6.5 C/KM) which isn't terrible for around here...also with dews again near mid 70's that would compensate a bit for weaker lapse rates 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

how rare are EML events here?

fairly rare. It's actually not *as* rare to get EML advection here, however, to time EML advection say with a cold front approaching is what is rare...It's just so difficult to do. Prior to 5/15/18 the last real EML event I think we had was June 1, 2011. I can't think of anything in between those two...perhaps some puesdo-EML events. (My memory with this stuff isn't as good as it used to be :lol: )

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

fairly rare. It's actually not *as* rare to get EML advection here, however, to time EML advection say with a cold front approaching is what is rare...It's just so difficult to do. Prior to 5/15/18 the last real EML event I think we had was June 1, 2011. I can't think of anything in between those two...perhaps some puesdo-EML events. (My memory with this stuff isn't as good as it used to be :lol: )

Thanks. More questions, not necessarily only aimed at weatherwiz: In my (limited) understanding,  EML air-masses originate from the SW USA and find their way here along a ridge with westerly winds usually? And they're characterized by dry midlevels and steep midlevel lapse rates? If this is true, and transport is usually due to a midsummer 594-ish mb ridge, I'm wondering why these events aren't that common. It seems like we get ridges like that a couple times every summer, and we see frontal passages maybe every 4 days.