• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Heat Wave

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My guess of 97 won!! Highest temp in 25 years!!

High of 97 today at #Buffalo not only smashes previous record for this date (92 last set in 1988), but is tied for 3rd highest temp on record for any day. Last time we were this warm was July 15th 1995. #nywx

Nice man.

Hey, guys. Been a while...

You all know how much I loooooooooooooove heat.... :P So, I have been hibernating inside checking out your posts during the winters of the past decade. It's a great way for me to still get my snow fix. lol

I already keep up the hope by acknowledging that days are now getting shorter and in a month average highs begin dropping again. It helps me stay Summer sane.

P.S. What is up with Upstate New York consistently being hotter than most places to the south this summer? How abnormal is it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So any ideas why Buffalo is suddenly the hottest location in our area after being the coolest location (In events like this) for many decades?  Did they pave a new parking lot nearby?  Is there an increasing affect from urban heat islands?  This whole thing is bizarre and almost suspicious. Can any buffalo observers verify that it felt historically hot?

5 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

So any ideas why Buffalo is suddenly the hottest location in our area after being the coolest location (In events like this) for many decades?  Did they pave a new parking lot nearby?  Is there an increasing affect from urban heat islands?  This whole thing is bizarre and almost suspicious. Can any buffalo observers verify that it felt historically hot?

Just about the hottest I’ve ever felt. Wasn’t excessively humid so I have felt days close to or similar in feel due to some times we hit 92-94 but had dews in 70s vs hitting 98 with dews in low 60s. I think it’s legit for sure as numerous PWS around the airport were at least that hot if not hotter. Numerous PWS over 100. I was driving around from 330-630 and the thermometer was fluctuating between 96-101 the entire time and was hottest in between Union and Transit at 101 which isn’t far from the airport. I’m obviously not guaranteeing it’s spot on but I don’t see any reason to discredit it although it is definitely surprising that we have been the hotspot. 

43 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Just about the hottest I’ve ever felt. Wasn’t excessively humid so I have felt days close to or similar in feel due to some times we hit 92-94 but had dews in 70s vs hitting 98 with dews in low 60s. I think it’s legit for sure as numerous PWS around the airport were at least that hot if not hotter. Numerous PWS over 100. I was driving around from 330-630 and the thermometer was fluctuating between 96-101 the entire time and was hottest in between Union and Transit at 101 which isn’t far from the airport. I’m obviously not guaranteeing it’s spot on but I don’t see any reason to discredit it although it is definitely surprising that we have been the hotspot. 

I’ll back that up. The last few days have been incredibly hot here (I’m only about 5 miles from the airport).  I’m surprised it’s played out like this with BUF being the hotspot, but I have no doubt it’s legit.  

• Like 1

Isn't it mostly attributed to wind direction? 

58 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

50 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

The lack of humidity the past few days has really made the heat somewhat bearable but this afternoon was a downright blast furnace!   Was a bit odd seeing KBUF as the hot spot but maybe something to do with the lake breeze boundaries today?  Look at the hourly temps in relation to the wind direction, albeit winds were rather light... SW wind and we got stuck in the low 90s, no wind we bump to mid 90s, NW wind takes us to upper 90s.  Can’t get it to upload but if you watch the COD radar loop through the afternoon you can really see the Ontario lake boundary hang up just NE of KBUF when we rocketed up to 98.  Maybe that boundary acted to dam up the heat bubble over us?  Even Niz posted that the Ontario lake boundary today was one of the strongest he has ever seen.

BF83D3BC-3111-43C4-9E29-7371CE995925.jpeg

4BC448F6-13CE-4793-BE5D-91A3030DF498.jpeg

• Like 1

Suspicious was a bad choice of words. Perplexing is better. It’s just unusual that dansville and other normally really hot spots came up short while Buffalo roasted. Weird wild stuff...

I saw 98 on the truck thermometer numerous times driving on 104 in Wayne county.  Also saw it hit 98 in downtown Rochester on 490 so there is no doubt that it was extremely hot.  Once I got out to my house it dropped to 94 which seemed reasonable and agreed with the kROC NWS numbers at the time.   

A great heat wave with very manageable humidity. 

• Like 1

At least we’re not Phoenix AZ... I just checked the point and click to see if I could find somewhere hotter than BUF. Just a tad warm there, to the tune of 110-115 for highs the next several days. I thought with the dry heat out there the lows would drop way off into the 60’s for nocturnal relief. Not so much. Lows the next few days are 90!  Ouch. 

• Like 2

I do landscaping and lawn care and today was brutal. I took breaks during the day so I stayed hydrated and just a little while ago i went to throw my stuff in the wash and noticed my jeans had massive salt stains on them just from working 8am to 3:45. I don't really complain about the heat since are winters can last awhile but I'm sick of this heat and need a break.

• Like 2

Just now, Buffalo Bumble said:

At least we’re not Phoenix AZ... I just checked the point and click to see if I could find somewhere hotter than BUF. Just a tad warm there, to the tune of 110-115 for highs the next several days. I thought with the dry heat out there the lows would drop way off into the 60’s for nocturnal relief. Not so much. Lows the next few days are 90!  Ouch. 

Doesn't sound that fun but it kind of goes with the whole living in the desert thing they have going on

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Suspicious was a bad choice of words. Perplexing is better. It’s just unusual that dansville and other normally really hot spots came up short while Buffalo roasted. Weird wild stuff...

I saw 98 on the truck thermometer numerous times driving on 104 in Wayne county.  Also saw it hit 98 in downtown Rochester on 490 so there is no doubt that it was extremely hot.  Once I got out to my house it dropped to 94 which seemed reasonable and agreed with the kROC NWS numbers at the time.   

A great heat wave with very manageable humidity. 

It’s all wind direction and speed. 

12 hours ago, ayuud11 said:

Nice you got yours listed on wunderground? I’m thinking of getting one any recommendations?

Yes I do. KNYBUFFA240. I have an ambient weather station. Not a top of the line Davis but overall a solid weather station I really like and find to be really accurate. When I had the time to compare the rainfall in the weather station to my cylindrical tube rain gauge from Cocorahs it was always almost dead on. I also find the temperature readings are always within a degree or so of the surrounding stations and there are a lot of them. It’s super easy to set up and connect to Wunderground so I can see the weather at my house from anywhere. Also for less than $200 you really can’t beat it at all compared to $700-1000+ for a Davis. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Vicarious said:

I do landscaping and lawn care and today was brutal. I took breaks during the day so I stayed hydrated and just a little while ago i went to throw my stuff in the wash and noticed my jeans had massive salt stains on them just from working 8am to 3:45. I don't really complain about the heat since are winters can last awhile but I'm sick of this heat and need a break.

It’s tough, and unfortunately in about 7 to 10 days we’re likely to get enough worse heat and humidity.

21 minutes ago, WNash said:

It’s tough, and unfortunately in about 7 to 10 days we’re likely to get enough worse heat and humidity.

I think the worst thing for me is sweat running down into my eyes, today my hat was useless after the first hour lol. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Yes I am. KNYBUFFA240. I have an ambient weather station. Not a top of the line Davis but overall a solid weather station I really like and find to be really accurate. When I had the time to compare the rainfall in the weather station to my cylindrical tube rain gauge from Cocorahs it was always almost dead on. I also find the temperature readings are always within a degree or so of the surrounding stations and there are a lot of them. It’s super easy to set up and connect to Wunderground so I can see the weather at my house from anywhere. Also for less than $200 you really can’t beat it at all compared to $700-1000+ for a Davis. 

Thanks man I will look into it.

4 hours ago, Vicarious said:

I think the worst thing for me is sweat running down into my eyes, today my hat was useless after the first hour lol. 

It’s brutal, I’ve gotten pinkeye from dirt and sweat getting in my eyes. People who love extremely hot weather don’t have to work in mid day sun for 40-50 hours a week.

7 minutes ago, WNash said:

It’s brutal, I’ve gotten pinkeye from dirt and sweat getting in my eyes. People who love extremely hot weather don’t have to work in mid day sun for 40-50 hours a week.

I have had the same thing happen to me. Since I cant sleep tonight I decided to bring some old towels with me tomorrow just so i have something to  wipe my face with. Back on Tuesday I had this 3 acre lot that only gets cut every 4-6 weeks and had the wind blowing all the dirt/clippings right in my face going the one direction which made for a unbearable few hours. 

• Like 1

Since there’s a late night/early morning party going on and I can’t sleep after both kids have been up all night I’ll chime in haha. 

disappointed that we only got 0.02” of liquid here. 

also at least according to the GFS next weeks heat looks less impressive and more bearable. Looks like upper 80s/low 90s which is still hot and well above normal just not seeing the “hotter than this current heatwave” heat anymore. Anyone have the Euro? 

Many of BUF's classic heatwaves have the greatest 500mb height anomalies over or north of the area. This tends to induce light gradient easterly or northeastern flow across the region which opposes the normal lake erie lake breeze. For the typical region wide heatwaves with very high humidity, those are centered over the Ohio Valley and BUF is often cooled by the lake breeze while the escarpment roc and the Genesee Valley bakes. 

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Since there’s a late night/early morning party going on and I can’t sleep after both kids have been up all night I’ll chime in haha. 

disappointed that we only got 0.02” of liquid here. 

also at least according to the GFS next weeks heat looks less impressive and more bearable. Looks like upper 80s/low 90s which is still hot and well above normal just not seeing the “hotter than this current heatwave” heat anymore. Anyone have the Euro? 

Definitely looks a little weaker. The one latter in the week looks better. Seems like the core of heat transfers to the midwest and we get slightly above average temps. Tough to be warmer then this heatwave as its the greatest in BUFs history. Not sure why they used that wordage. Yesterday was 2nd warmest temp ever.