• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Heat Wave

2 hours ago, brentrich said:

Guys, I know we all hate heat/humidity but hang in there folks, only 56 more days till September 1st and we all can say bye bye summer. 

F*ck that. This is fantastic weather. Hot, not too humid.  Could use rain though. Maybe later this week... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Revracer800 said:

:o not good not good at all. So glad i have city water or the well would be done dry. 

I looked at 18Z GFS a bit ago, didnt look as hot...roughly normal temps i'd say?  Of course, it's the GooFuS. And 18Z as well.  Glad to see the Euro has us roasting in the pit of the Slor. Great pool weather. ;)

22 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

That’s the thing about weather though, it does what it wants. Cheering or no cheering. If it’s going to be warm, I want to really experience some tropical nights up here.  Me wanting it hot isn’t what’s killing people on the great plains.  I’d rather find a way to enjoy it than bitch about it. 

People always die.  Whether you or I root for hot, extreme weather has no bearing on anything. It's going to happen and people will die.  It's been going on forever. ;) I agree on being fascinated by unusual and extreme weather.  Tropical nights up here don't happen too often so I prefer to enjoy it instead of crying about Darwins waiting room getting an early wake up call. 

Of course, walking around with a mask on in the heat isn't exactly pleasurable but its just for a short time heading into a store or bar. Only the crazies are walking around in public with masks on.

Dew point has skyrocketed to 72 degrees here from mid 50s earlier today. What a difference when you walk outside now even with temps “only” around 80 now. The air punches you right in the face. Gonna be downright brutal with these dews and temps in mid 90s Thurs/Fri. Over under for BUF heat index on Thurs/Fri set for 102? 

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

Dew point has skyrocketed to 72 degrees here from mid 50s earlier today. What a difference when you walk outside now even with temps “only” around 80 now. The air punches you right in the face. Gonna be downright brutal with these dews and temps in mid 90s Thurs/Fri. Over under for BUF heat index on Thurs/Fri set for 102? 

Thurs/Fri are going to be insane I'd say we go over 100 on both days for heat index

• Like 1

Looking just outside of the scope of this forecast period at the
second half of the week...there are deterministic models (ECMWF)
that are strongly suggesting the presence of a 600dm ridge that
could be centered just to our south. This is also being
advertised by the NAEFS. If this were to come to pass...then
H85 temps of 21-23c would overspread the Lower Great Lakes. This
would set the stage for ANOTHER heat wave...one that would
shadow the current heat spell.

Supporting another heat wave are temperature forecasts from the
Climate Prediction Center (CPC). The Day 8-14 U.S. Hazards Outlook
map includes the Great Lakes region in an area for EXCESSIVE
heat during the July 15-21 period...and the corresponding 8-14
temp outlook has a 80 percent bullseye for above normal temps
over the region.

27 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looking just outside of the scope of this forecast period at the
second half of the week...there are deterministic models (ECMWF)
that are strongly suggesting the presence of a 600dm ridge that
could be centered just to our south. This is also being
advertised by the NAEFS. If this were to come to pass...then
H85 temps of 21-23c would overspread the Lower Great Lakes. This
would set the stage for ANOTHER heat wave...one that would
shadow the current heat spell.

Supporting another heat wave are temperature forecasts from the
Climate Prediction Center (CPC). The Day 8-14 U.S. Hazards Outlook
map includes the Great Lakes region in an area for EXCESSIVE
heat during the July 15-21 period...and the corresponding 8-14
temp outlook has a 80 percent bullseye for above normal temps
over the region.

I don’t think I have ever seen a 600dm ridge forecasted in my lifetime. That’s absolutely insane. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

I don’t think I have ever seen a 600dm ridge forecasted in my lifetime. That’s absolutely insane. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I read it!! Service those air conditioners. Don't want them to crap out anytime over the next 2 weeks.

44 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

This isn't Cali, from what I've read NY has quite a bit of electrical overhead to tap into if needed. 

Unfortunately not over here. We’ve been getting daily calls from our electrical provider asking us to conserve usage between 10am and 10pm and their system is already taxed. Lost power the last 2 days. Other day was for 10 hours and luckily yesterday was only 4 hours. With all the people still quarantining or working from home there is more people cranking A/C all day long as well as more pool pumps being run as more people are home to use their pools. If this comes to fruition I bet at least around here there will be many more outages. 

49 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

This isn't Cali, from what I've read NY has quite a bit of electrical overhead to tap into if needed. 

That's correct.  And Cali's power problems (recently) have been due to PG&E de-energizing lines during fire weather to minimize fire risk (and lawsuits), resulting in reduced ability to serve load...hence the rolling blackouts.  Virtually no other state has this problem.  There are pockets in NY where temporary localized issues pop up though.

4 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Unfortunately not over here. We’ve been getting daily calls from our electrical provider asking us to conserve usage between 10am and 10pm and their system is already taxed. Lost power the last 2 days. Other day was for 10 hours and luckily yesterday was only 4 hours. With all the people still quarantining or working from home there is more people cranking A/C all day long as well as more pool pumps being run as more people are home to use their pools. If this comes to fruition I bet at least around here there will be many more outages. 

I believe there was a cable fault that led to problems in parts of the Buffalo region....statewide load has been well under record MW demand levels.