• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Heat Wave

43 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

I don’t think we’re gonna quite make it to 90 tomorrow but it’s gonna be close. After that I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we see 90 for at least 8-10 days straight which would be a record for most consecutive 90 degrees as well as put us at 11+ 90 degree days on the year which I think would also be a new record. If the GFS is to be believed we could see 90s straight through to around the 17th or so which would be almost 2 weeks of consecutive 90s which would just be mind boggling.

8-10 90+ days would be so difficult here. Rochester I would almost guarantee it. With the lake erie breeze, you never know.

18 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Dewpoints are crazy low today (49 right now)making the heat index lower than the actual air temp! Perfect day. Winds finally go south Monday and then the humidity will pour on.  One more day of hot dry weather first. 

Low dews (mid 50s in Buffalo) felt really good yesterday. Really dreading the subtropical air on its way later this week.

1 hour ago, WNash said:

GFS shows a slight cooldown by the latter half of next weekend, lasting 2-3 days before the sauna returns. This is not my favorite kind of summer.

Not my kind of weather either.  Too hot to do any productive work outside. I wonder if the guy who kept posting about this summer’s forecast ever got central air installed.  I would never suggest it for someone from upstate NY but, ironically, this summer is trending toward one where it may be useful.  Dropped to 50 degrees last night though, so that was a nice surprise.  

I’m also shocked to see that the number of annual 90 degree days in Buffalo is trending downward over the last +/-century.  That seems very counterintuitive relative to all other temperature trends I have heard about. 

10 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

Not my kind of weather either.  Too hot to do any productive work outside. I wonder if the guy who kept posting about this summer’s forecast ever got central air installed.  I would never suggest it for someone from upstate NY but, ironically, this summer is trending toward one where it may be useful.  Dropped to 50 degrees last night though, so that was a nice surprise.  

I’m also shocked to see that the number of annual 90 degree days in Buffalo is trending downward over the last +/-century.  That seems very counterintuitive relative to all other temperature trends I have heard about. 

I would definitely recommend AC around here. Our summers are hot and especially humid near the lake. Out in the country away from water, it is not as bad with less humidity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I would definitely recommend AC around here. Our summers are hot and especially humid near the lake. Out in the country away from water, it is not as bad with less humidity.

Good point.  My default image of upstate NY consists of semi-elevated rural areas, but of course most people live in populated areas that are generally lower elevation and near water.  My property is usually a +/-5 degree difference compared to when we “go into town.”  

1 hour ago, winter_rules said:

Good point.  My default image of upstate NY consists of semi-elevated rural areas, but of course most people live in populated areas that are generally lower elevation and near water.  My property is usually a +/-5 degree difference compared to when we “go into town.”  

The dewpoint is well into the 60s for much of the summer, and can push towards or past 70 with flow from the S or SW. Stubborn ridging over the southeast can bring that soupy gulf air up this way, not to mention flow off Lake Erie can bring up humidity on the lake plain. 

When we have highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s, it’s nice to put the windows open, but we haven’t had much of that this summer.

16 hours ago, WNash said:

The dewpoint is well into the 60s for much of the summer, and can push towards or past 70 with flow from the S or SW. Stubborn ridging over the southeast can bring that soupy gulf air up this way, not to mention flow off Lake Erie can bring up humidity on the lake plain. 

When we have highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s, it’s nice to put the windows open, but we haven’t had much of that this summer.

Low of 55 today at my house, 50 yesterday.  But I know most places don't radiate like here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

Heat advisory for 4 days. Anyone ever seen that before around here? 

Never have I ever. Definitely one to remember and I really think this is going to be the new number one spot for BUF heatwaves. Think we will see 8 consecutive days beating the old record of 7 consecutive days. 

GFS has us above average all the way through 15 days, but with two dips to lower dews. Some troughiness in the lakes will keep us from the extreme heat. Things look just brutal for the central states, temps getting to well above 105F.

The Northeast winds have really tempered Rochester's temps during this recent "heat wave".  We've  barely hit 90 and hit has felt very comfortable with the low DP's.  Quite disappointing for a heat lover like myself.  I want it to be completely oppressive.  Give me 95 degrees with a dewpoint of 77 please!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

So far this month we are +8.1 INSANE

AVERAGE MONTHLY: 78.3

DPTR FM NORMAL: 8.1

We’re a lock for Top 10 and at this point I think it would take a hell of a cold shot to get us out of top 5. Next 2 weeks look well above normal with 80s and 90s right through the end of the model runs. 

after this week we will likely be a +10 or more departure for the month with more mid 90a the rest of the week. 

25 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

We’re a lock for Top 10 and at this point I think it would take a hell of a cold shot to get us out of top 5. Next 2 weeks look well above normal with 80s and 90s right through the end of the model runs. 

after this week we will likely be a +10 or more departure for the month with more mid 90a the rest of the week. 

Obviously too early to call it. But with the long range right now I think we're a lock for #1.