• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Heat Wave

13 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

If we can hit 90 Friday and Saturday we could go on a really impressive “heat wave” with temps hitting 90+ for up to 9 or 10 days as it looks like temps will likely be 90+ through 7/12 according to the models. Would be the longest heat wave I can ever remember here. 

EFF66BFF-53AE-4F09-AC9C-3D282A75D552.jpeg

Glad our 90 degree days were done with in May!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

If we can hit 90 Friday and Saturday we could go on a really impressive “heat wave” with temps hitting 90+ for up to 9 or 10 days as it looks like temps will likely be 90+ through 7/12 according to the models. Would be the longest heat wave I can ever remember here. 

EFF66BFF-53AE-4F09-AC9C-3D282A75D552.jpeg

It looks to be the strongest heat wave in years. I really wish I got AC installed earlier.

• Like 1

Modeling looks hot and dry for the forseeable future, although the GFS is hinting at a trough in the northeast that would bring precip and lower temps in the middle of the month. With the heat and working from home, we're going to have a $300 electric bill easily.

8 hours ago, WNash said:

Modeling looks hot and dry for the forseeable future, although the GFS is hinting at a trough in the northeast that would bring precip and lower temps in the middle of the month. With the heat and working from home, we're going to have a $300 electric bill easily.

Yep was just saying today were probably going to see our biggest electric bill ever this month being home and running the central A/C non stop and a 12,000 BTU window AC at night. Not even like we can turn the central air off at night and just run our window A/C or my sons room is a heat box by morning. Some pretty impressive heat coming for sure.

13 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Yep was just saying today were probably going to see our biggest electric bill ever this month being home and running the central A/C non stop and a 12,000 BTU window AC at night. Not even like we can turn the central air off at night and just run our window A/C or my sons room is a heat box by morning. Some pretty impressive heat coming for sure.

That AC guy I talked to said best time to install is March/April where they essentially install at cost. Right now it would be $1,000 more because of the demand. So next year I will be getting it installed in the beginning of the year. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The GFS showed 90s for the next 2 weeks. :huh:

It’s grim. Not much of a chance of rain for the next 7-10 days, either. 90s and high humidity is not the kind of weather that makes summers in Buffalo so enjoyable. The lake is way above normal temps as well - I expect we will be hitting record lake temps by mid-month, which will really weaken the lake breeze. 

1 hour ago, WNash said:

It’s grim. Not much of a chance of rain for the next 7-10 days, either. 90s and high humidity is not the kind of weather that makes summers in Buffalo so enjoyable. The lake is way above normal temps as well - I expect we will be hitting record lake temps by mid-month, which will really weaken the lake breeze. 

I don't remember a heat wave like this since I've been on these forums. Maybe 2012? 

Already 87 degrees at KBUF, should be close to 90 by 4. 

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...
...Heat Advisories May Be Needed for Much of this Period...

An upper level ridge will push eastward this period, pushing 850 hPa
temperatures of +18 to +21C across our region. However, with the
westerly flow aloft, and no deep southerly flow transporting Gulf of
Mexico moisture northward...moisture will not increase dramatically
and PWATS through much of the period range from 1.0 to 1.5 inches.
This moisture (PWATs just over 1.5 inches) and surface dewpoints
will peak Tuesday night and Wednesday ahead of a shortwave trough.

Surface temperatures will build with mid 80s to lower 90s common
through the period. With the drying ground it is not out of the
question that we could see some mid 90s...especially in the Genesee
Valley where winds will downslope. Though hot, moderate levels of
humidity will hold back apparent temperatures early in the
week...and not until mid-week as surface moisture increases that we
may near heat advisory levels (95F). Nighttime temperatures will
provide little relief either as they remain in the low 70s in most
locations.

Have aimed above most guidance packages for temps...staying in the
upper quartile of packages.

1 hour ago, WNash said:

I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this over the next decade. 

2 minutes ago, champy said:

I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this over the next decade. 

Just saw this earlier...INSANE

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/06/what-100-degree-day-siberia-means-climate-change/

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/siberia-verkhoyansk-record-heat-wave-arctic-circle

Buffalo has never hit 100. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Not terribly uncommon to get a little snow at those altitudes, even in summer months. I think that’s one of the routes that will get you to Grand Teton NP and Jackson Hole if you’re driving west on I-90. It’s pretty high up for a mountain pass.

43 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We're at 2 so far this year. June 10th hit 90 and today. June also had an 89 and 2 88s. First 2 days of July had highs of 87. 90+ is very rare in Buffalo region due to the lake breeze.

June finished at +.8 for the month.

We’re at 3 for the year, we also hit 93 on May 26th. 

• Like 1

I don’t think we’re gonna quite make it to 90 tomorrow but it’s gonna be close. After that I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we see 90 for at least 8-10 days straight which would be a record for most consecutive 90 degrees as well as put us at 11+ 90 degree days on the year which I think would also be a new record. If the GFS is to be believed we could see 90s straight through to around the 17th or so which would be almost 2 weeks of consecutive 90s which would just be mind boggling.

Yeah that's some jersey weather right there lol Avg high in CNJ is 86/87 with plenty of 90s..

Not looking forward to it lol

This is for Altmar

Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 88.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 66.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 68.
Wednesday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 90. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 70.
Thursday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Thursday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly clear, with a low around 71. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah that's some jersey weather right there lol Avg high in CNJ is 86/87 with plenty of 90s..

Not looking forward to it lol

This is for Altmar

Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 88.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 66.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 68.
Wednesday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 90. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 70.
Thursday
Thursday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly clear, with a low around 71. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday

About as hot of a forecast as your going to see around here for such a long period of time. I can remember a couple times having 90+ 3-4 days but then a cold front usually comes through with some wicked storms and knocks us back into like the low 70s for a couple days and there’s some relief. The duration of this heatwave is going to be what makes this a memorable event. 

E4A7EFC3-DB6F-4718-BCAB-814604DBE32E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

We’re at 3 for the year, we also hit 93 on May 26th. 

Can't believe I missed that day! I wish there was somewhere to confirm 10 being the most 90+ days. Before the early 1940s the recording station was right on the lake which would have made it nearly impossible to hit 90 so that graph is likely correct at 10 being the max.