Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
TS Fay - Drought ending Rains and Severe Convection

weatherwiz

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Possibly a low end Cat 1 for sure. Winds are only 40 to 45 right now at sea, any interaction with the land will disrupt the organization.  NJ and SLI probably hit hardest on the wind front then of course you have the Tstorm gusts either gust fronts or microbursts. 

Agreed...strongest winds for sure across NJ and southern Long Island...and even there not a huge deal...maybe gusts 40-50 mph. If there is strong enough convection maybe someone gusts to like 60. 

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, you never know. If this were able to get its act together over the EC sooner it may have been a bit stronger. As is, this is pretty impressive for our latitude for this time of year. Didn't get the crapping on this system yesterday lol.  

Recon is en route to get a center fix. Will be helpful to see the heading too. Last night recon saw a NNE heading on the center for a bit. 

Yeah there certainly was room for this to be a bit stronger but...actually really wasn't far off from that occurring I don't think. I agree, this is pretty impressive for this time of year. I don't get the crapping on this system either...but if someone isn't seeing crazy weather in their backyard then a system is garbage...I mean which is fine...too each their own but don't go around calling something crappy or garbage just b/c you're not seeing anything. It's like everyone has the mentality of significant damage or nothing.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think you could make the argument that if the max vorticity associated with the trough in the Gulf were instead over the Atlantic, say, just off the FL coast, this would be a much stronger solution. This system had an impressive surface circulation originally, but spent days over land before emerging off the EC. 

This setup also speaks to how difficult it is to get tropical up here. You adjust that trough a bit and this might have been more of a kicker than anything else. These windows for NE tropical impacts are extraordinarily small. Especially this time of year. 

Bingo

Tropical Storm Winds extending farther west of the center per latest update

Tropical Storm Fay Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL062020
725 AM EDT Fri Jul 10 2020

...TROPICAL STORM WARNING EXTENDED SOUTHWARD TO FENWICK ISLAND 
DELAWARE INCLUDING THE SOUTHERN DELAWARE BAY...

Surface observations and radar data indicate that tropical-storm- 
force winds now extend farther to the west of the center of Fay. 
This necessitates an extension of the Tropical Storm Warning 
southward from Cape May, New Jersey, to Fenwick Island, Delaware, 
including the southern Delaware Bay. 

A special advisory will be issued in lieu of the 800 AM EDT (1200 
UTC) intermediate advisory to update the forecast and warnings for 
Fay. 

$$
Forecaster Brennan

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, Ocean City gusted to TS force a little over an hour ago. I thought they should have issued TS Warnings for that area when this was classified yesterday. 

Recon is in the storm and found an extrapolated surface pressure of 998.5 mb. Not bad. 

Naked swirl though

GOES11362020192m4GSbJ.jpg

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's definitely not totally tropical. May be some separation from the low and mid level centers.  And yeah watch tomorrow aftn. Otherwise, Fay is yawn here.

Not sure if it's model error but there is like a small pocket of pretty steep lapse rates that tries to get overhead. I see at least a few wet microbursts tomorrow along with potential for a tornado or two. 

quite muggy out there right now, 74.6/74 on the Davis. Off and on misery mist right now, shrooms growing everywhere, probably don't need much rain at this point. Looks like coastal DE and parts of Southern NJ have seen 3-6 inches of rain so far, not too bad.....