• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
TS Fay - Drought ending Rains and Severe Convection

weatherwiz

The naked swirl is opening up and it looks like a new center is trying to form just northeast under developing thunderstorms.  Not that this means that much but fun to watch.  I want the center to go into Western New England.  That brings true tropical air into SNE with breezy conditions and quick moving heavy showers.

• Like 1

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Hmm when I think “outbreak “ I think multiple F2 and above tornados 

were these jn western areas or Just a bunch of F-0’s in a landfalling tropical system 

Outbreak is certainly a subjective term but IMO, the best way to sort of quantify it is (speaking for tornadoes here)

1. Climatology 

2. Geographic area 

I think...don't quote me on this but I think usually an event which spawns like 3-4+ tornadoes in our region is considered an outbreak (keeping in mind that our climo is very low). Also, let's not forget how small of a geographic area New England represents then the scale which severe weather/tornadoes occur on. I mean we have had 4 F4 tornadoes occur within a relatively small area...Great Barrington, Windsor Locks, CT, Hamden, CT, Worcester, MA. That's actually pretty impressive...when you factor in aerial size. We have also had more than several events produce 4-5+ tornadoes...yes granted most part they're weak ones but compared to our yearly tornado climo that's alot for one event. 

I don't know .. that hi resolution visible looping is pretty fantastically convincing to me... 

this is an exposed center devoid of anything ...with a displaced wall of squally showers well to the E of best fix...  RECON will definitely bias toward that convection as part of their "near land PR modis operendi" but in reality, this Meterologist needs to see a glaciated cu tower at all near that exposed center - and...preferably have the plume not moving across the low-level cyclonic axis of rotation.   So yeah...add shear to the limiting factors... 

Also, I put the 12z on 36 hours over at TT and clicked prev 5 times and across all those cycles, other than very minor insignificant variances...the solutions are identical - GFS operational... So, it may be wrong, but I don't see the model having continuity issues in a vacuum ... 

19 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Saturday shaping to what could be a big severe day...perhaps several wet microbursts. 

nah... what's likely to happen is a latent heat conversion, transient beta-synoptic scaled plume of mid level heat gets abandoned when the vertical structure wanes and ceases and leaves it behind, and that'll effectively CIN the asshole shut like a bull's ass at fly time... 

77 DP and 5,000 CAPE choked closed for business....   

Save for that one cell over Mt Greylock that rains 5.7" in 2 hours and doesn't move and takes out a campsite of Boy scouts -

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

nah... what's likely to happen is a latent heat conversion, transient beta-synoptic scaled plume of mid level heat gets left behind when the vertical structure wanes and ceases and leaves it behind, and that'll effectively CIN the asshole shut like a bull's ass at fly time... 

77 DP and 5,000 CAPE choked closed for business....   

Save for that one cell over Mt Greylock that rains 5.7" in 2 hours and doesn't move and takes out a campsite of Boy scouts -

I was thinking there could be evening/overnight convection...that's a pretty strong s/w working through PA

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I was thinking there could be evening/overnight convection...that's a pretty strong s/w working through PA

days are long ... I suppose it's imaginatively possible we could transition into a quasi, albeit weak TC sounding through dawn...out the ass end by noon... through a transient mid level stranded CIN plume dull afternoon...that moves off and 'unlids' for a late ... yeah ... good luck populating grids at NWS heh...   

• Like 1

Just looking at vis...that exposed llc is a bit elongated looking. there is some inflow toward the exploding convection to the NE so maybe we can drop pressures enough there to shift the main circulation eastward like a secondary triple-point low. The 3k NAM sorta does this, but hooks it more westward anyway into DE/ACY.