• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Late June-Early July Heat Wave

Chicago Storm

I back dated this to account for the past few days across portions of the region, so Hoosier can move posts here from monthly thread if wanted.

Past few days...

LSE: 92/94/91/94

MLI: 91/92/93/93

STL: 89/92/92/93

ORD: 91/91/89/94

PAH: 88/92/93/94

IND: 89/91/92/94

LMK: 93/93/94/95

GRR: 92/94/90/91

DTW: 90/94/90/91

CMH: 92/93/94/96

CVG: 89/92/94/95

39 minutes ago, Baum said:

I noticed this afternoons forecast out of LOT now has our cool down this weekend still in the upper 80's with what sounds like another surge of heat next week. Nice way to run a July.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a day or two cooler than that.  Regardless of the ultimate magnitude of the pullback, it does appear there will be a resurgence of the heat mid month. 

4 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The Euro has been 3-5 degrees too cool for this area for the last few months at least.  Applying that to the 12z keeps a never-ending streak of 90s going through the next 10 days.  Thursday is close to being in jeopardy though as clouds/precip are close by.  For the whole run we get 0.11" of rain.

same for ORD...4-5F too cool on 2m temps most of the summer.

19 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The Euro has been 3-5 degrees too cool for this area for the last few months at least.  Applying that to the 12z keeps a never-ending streak of 90s going through the next 10 days.  Thursday is close to being in jeopardy though as clouds/precip are close by.  For the whole run we get 0.11" of rain.

6 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

If we apply this principle to the EPS control from last night it would be historic heat. It had a massive 600dm ridge over the entire area. The 12z run "backed" off a bit to 597dm. Definitely prolonged heat on both runs and the Euro though.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

On the flip side the GFS has been slightly too warm at times, though has been much closer to reality than the Euro. That's for the immediate metro only, as both models have been too cool for non-urban areas.

It seems odd LOT wants to message heat to the public, but never includes the words,"Hot and Humid" or "Very Warm and Humid" in text forecasts any longer. Are they not allowed to include these descriptions in the body of the forecast any longer?

29 minutes ago, Baum said:

It seems odd LOT wants to message heat to the public, but never includes the words,"Hot and Humid" or "Very Warm and Humid" in text forecasts any longer. Are they not allowed to include these descriptions in the body of the forecast any longer?

I'm not 100% sure, but dew points haven't been especially high during the hottest parts of the day so far.

Are you talking about the point and click forecast blurbs with the associated images?

If so, I believe the threshold is 95.

7 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Are you talking about the point and click forecast blurbs with the associated images?

If you ask me they should take into account heat indices then so a 90F high with dews expected into the 70s gets that message.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Actual zone text forecasts. I rarely read a point and click. Back in the day, even a 83 degree day with good dews warranted a "Warm and Humid" phrase. Even recall a "warmer and more humid labeling" as we transitioned from a summertime cool dry air mass to a warmer wetter scenario. As weenie, always liked those added descriptives.