• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Drought 2020

pen_artist

Looking around northern IL and surrounding areas, the precip deficits in August alone are running 3-4".  So a couple things:

1.  In general, it will take some time to put a big dent in the dryness.  Maybe some spots that get lucky with convection can come out of it sooner.

2.  How bad would it be right now if the months earlier in the year weren't as wet?

• Weenie 2

On 8/28/2020 at 8:47 AM, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Every time we’ve gone through a dry stretch this summer and get added to D1 on the weekly monitor a line of storms will come through and drop around 1” which quickly catches us back up. 

Weird that I’m rooting for below average precipitation but in the 4 years I’ve lived in Minnesota haven’t had a year below average.

I'm surprised you've been in the D1 this summer.  It seemed like Minneapolis area had been getting patterns with steady once a week decent rains at least, similar to Milwaukee.  We have not been in D1 this warm season, and to be honest if there are two things we're due for in my locale it's drought and an ice storm.  I'd be thankful if we had neither in the next ten years.

• Like 1

The data cutoff is Tuesday at 8 am eastern, and while some areas received decent rain on Tuesday, I'm not sure that single rain would have had any significant impact on this map.

20200901_Midwest_trd.thumb.jpg.b8625afd76e2e8b177fdca30fd5b23df.jpg

I’m guessing it might have been enough to keep some of the southern portions of D1 in D0, but that’s probably about it.

9c075f46486cf3e8340929e2caef4cc2.jpg

On 9/1/2020 at 6:27 PM, Kitchener poster said:

This lawn was completely dormant by the 2nd week of July. I honestly think it’s dead from the drought. 

In the last 105 days, we’ve only had 1 day in which we got >0.75” 

A9647AC7-24E2-426A-9AA2-30CCBE0A5BFC.jpeg

you should plany something more drought tolerant and climate appropriate, lawns are garbage anyways

There's a time series feature on the drought monitor site where you can look down to cwa level or even county/city level.  No idea how long it's been there but I just discovered it.  Anyway, you have to go back to 2012 to find the last time that so much of Chicago metro was in D1 or higher.  It briefly snuck into far southern parts of the metro in fall 2013.  Goes to show how wet it has been overall during the past several years. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The data cutoff is Tuesday at 8 am eastern, and while some areas received decent rain on Tuesday, I'm not sure that single rain would have had any significant impact on this map.

20200901_Midwest_trd.thumb.jpg.b8625afd76e2e8b177fdca30fd5b23df.jpg

Surprised to see any part of Northeast Ohio on the map. CLE was 2.73" above normal June - August. And almost 9" above normal since Jan 1. Western OH counties have been dry though

8 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Surprised to see any part of Northeast Ohio on the map. CLE was 2.73" above normal June - August. And almost 9" above normal since Jan 1. Western OH counties have been dry though

Based on precip departure maps, parts of Ashtabula county have been running significantly below average.

Alek's idea of a yard.

Even though my county is only in a D0, our grass is completely dormant. A cigarette butt thrown in the right spot and my lawn would be black.

EDIT: 0.96" in the past 30 days. Not terrible, but with already semi-dry conditions, it's pretty parched here. We had a nearby hay field on fire this afternoon, helped along with the 20-25MPH wind gusts.

canvas.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Alek's idea of a yard.

Even though my county is only in a D0, our grass is completely dormant. A cigarette butt thrown in the right spot and my lawn would be black.

EDIT: 0.96" in the past 30 days. Not terrible, but with already semi-dry conditions, it's pretty parched here. We had a nearby hay field on fire this afternoon, helped along with the 20-25MPH wind gusts.

canvas.png

I would call 0.96" in the past 30 days terrible.  Especially since the temps haven't been cool.  

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Quite a difference between you and ORD between 9/6-9/13.  Surprising because the rains weren't particularly hit or miss type stuff.

Outside of the initial MCS, most of the activity was oriented more SW-NE.

The map that was posted in the Sept thread shows the steady drop off across the central metro on south/southeast fairly well.

prcp_mpe_m2d_tot.png.3db36ea87efe27c3cda6bf2c6c4dc501.png.1070434d40446d306ffdddb8c1ea62e2.png