Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Drought 2020

pen_artist

On 7/17/2020 at 7:12 PM, Kitchener poster said:

For parts of MI and ON their doesn’t seem to be a lot of optimism for more than an inch of rain in the next 12 days or so.

D9CF502A-0F1D-4B7A-AC92-3F2162EC9BC1.png

Picked up 1.54" yesterday.  Probably a little more fortunate than most in the area, but definitely no drought working its way in here for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, dmc76 said:

Huge portions of SEMI is in a drought. I’ve never seen it this dry. Parts of Western Oakland county is completely cooked. Rain tonight looks minimal, again. 

Must be real localized. DTW DET had 5.00+ in July and Flint had 3.72" 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 2:47 PM, Stebo said:

Must be real localized. DTW DET had 5.00+ in July and Flint had 3.72" 

I’ll put money on it that isolated areas of central/western Oakland, Western macomb around stoney creek and parts of the thumb...is the driest area(s) East of the Mississippi 

On 7/7/2020 at 12:50 AM, frostfern said:

Okay, but i's not the greatest year here either though.  It's not full drought yet, but still boring as hell if you want t-storms.  2018 repeat.  Have to wait until late August to get one of those good low-level jet-fueled nocturnal MCSs.  On the east side of the state you at least have a shot at some afternoon storms.  Here Wisconsin afternoon stuff inevitably eats shit when it hits the lake, and night stuff dies too with no low-level jet due to constant weak-ass synoptic pattern.  I remember when heat waves used to have nocturnal convection.  Recent times they have nothing but airmass shit that gets totally suppressed by lake-breezes.

....not even close

D80C836D-45B8-4AB4-A2F8-AC9D37312F1E.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Good chance of more color in N IL/N IN on next week's update, given expected weather conditions.

20200818_Midwest_trd.thumb.jpg.4e4c46da3dc21d9dc6206e1b70173dd7.jpg

I just spent a couple of days in Porter and LaPorte County. Seemed awfully dry in that area and it's not even showing as abnormally dry.  After driving the area today, I'm betting on a large chunk of northeast IN being in D1. As you said, sunny and 90° for the next several days should see our area likely being in D2 conditions by late next week.

34 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I just spent a couple of days in Porter and LaPorte County. Seemed awfully dry in that area and it's not even showing as abnormally dry.  After driving the area today, I'm betting on a large chunk of northeast IN being in D1. As you said, sunny and 90° for the next several days should see our area likely being in D2 conditions by late next week.

It has definitely dried out in Porter and LaPorte in the past month.  Would think they will be added in on the next update.

3.33" this month so far at YYZ but that number is deceiving. 3.1" of that fell in 3 days earlier this month. In reality only 4.2" has fallen since July 12th. Models are showing couple thunderstorm risks tomorrow and the chance for more steadier rain Friday night into Sat morning. Let's see if that verifies.

Been dry as hell.

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

Have been getting a lot of yellowing leaves and leaf drop from trees the past week or so, likely due to the dry and hot conditions combo.

Lawn is browned out too. (insert aleks lol @ lawns) 

Lawns look bad around here (don't really care though) but haven't noticed the yellowing/leaf drop.

Every time we’ve gone through a dry stretch this summer and get added to D1 on the weekly monitor a line of storms will come through and drop around 1” which quickly catches us back up. 

Weird that I’m rooting for below average precipitation but in the 4 years I’ve lived in Minnesota haven’t had a year below average.

Although there are a couple days left to go, we can already call this.  Officially, this will be the driest July-August in Chicago since 1941.

List of driest Jul-Aug:

1894:  1.20"

1919:  2.69"

1897:  3.18"

1893:  3.26"

1941:  3.26"

1916:  3.27"

2020:  3.35"  (through 8/28)

1874:  3.73"

1930:  3.80"

1944:  3.82"