Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I think I saw something tracing sturgis to multiple small outbreaks.  FWIW did anyone actually imply the protests were covid safe?  Steve I’ll find the link-walking the dog now...

Tons of people implied that. Many media and political figures came right out and said there is "zero link" between the protests and COVID cases.

The political rationale for how these gatherings are covered is pretty clear, and we don't need to hash that out here.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

39 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Tons of people implied that. Many media and political figures came right out and said there is "zero link" between the protests and COVID cases.

The political rationale for how these gatherings are covered is pretty clear, and we don't need to hash that out here.

In Mass, protestors tested at a rate that was lower than the general population at the time, although the data was probably skewed. 
Im thinking the Sturgis crowd would be similar.  Lots of people, low cases.  
But it is still early. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Grew up riding dirt bikes then had motorcycles until I was 33.

I've spent many summers driving ATVs and side-by-sides on the mountain, and take those up/down steeper terrain than most people experience... but I've never ridden a dirt bike or motorcycle.  Something I wish I at least try in this lifetime, bummed I haven't yet. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I was offered a ninja bike back in 94' for dirt cheap and after thinking about it I realized I'd want to to have it modified to be the fastest in the area . I figured I die on that bike in the end so I chose a 87' Buick Grand National instead and never looked back . So much safer.  Here's a pic...

PhotoPictureResizer_200822_212756296_crop_1413x2390.jpg

One of the most underrated, fastest cars I've ever been in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klw said:

I get the allure of riding and have known many people who do.  My grandfather took me for a ride once and I even was on the back of a bike in a Madras India rush hour during college.  A few years ago, I was on-call for my then job on a beautiful late summer Sunday afternoon.  I got called to the scene of a motorbike accident in the next town.   A 18 or 19 year old kid had gotten a motorcycle 9 days earlier.  He had convinced his dad to let him get it.  He was out with two buddies.  They were all speeding on a two lane road and he failed to navigate a bend (not even a corner) in the road.  He crossed over and went head first into a rockledge at an estimated 90+mph.  His body lay crumpled in the spot it slid to in middle of the road, while the police did accident reconstruction, until his parents had a chance to come to say goodbye to him.  What I remember most is his mother crying over him and the way his leg was bent up under him.

I no longer want to ever ride.

I think people who ride motorcycles with no helmets in just a shirt and shorts must have a death wish. A rock or other piece of road debris could easily end your life, at the very least you will be maimed. 

On 8/22/2020 at 10:02 AM, dryslot said:

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Oof.  Over 50 people who attended a wedding in Millinocket ME August 7 got the ‘vid.  One has died

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Oof.  Over 50 people who attended a wedding in Millinocket ME August 7 got the ‘vid.  One has died

I feel like it boils down to bad luck. I read it was “only” a 65 person wedding. That’s not that big, albeit more than the 50 person allowance for indoor events in ME. I guess all it takes is a super spreader or two and then the dominoes fall where they may. Sad story. 

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Less than half were actually at the wedding/reception.  The rest were secondary and even tertiary infections.  Other than the event being over the 50 max, have not heard anything about masks, social distancing and whatever - hugs on the receiving line?.   Helped push Maine's daily new cases into the 20s and a 32, from the earlier teens.  Yesterday's numbers noted 459 active cases, 7 in hospital and one in ICU, one on ventilator (presumably the same person.)  14-day positive rate was 0.6%.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

79.9° high today counts as the 10th 80°+ F day this summer. It's been just awful this year. Nonstop heat and humidity. Last year I had only 4 days that reached or exceeded 80° F, all in July. 

I'm so done with this crap. Summer can F*** off already!

LOL. My coworkers in PHX would get a kick out of this post. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Anyone have any experience with a Troy--bilt Vortex 2490 snow blower?  The people we're buying from offered to sell there's to us.

TIA.

So this place is a snowblower mecca Milton Village Hardware.   I was there in late February and decided to wait until now.  Haven’t been yet but it’s amazing.  Basement full of snowblowers-gazillions and decent prices.   One time trip in may be worth it.  I came close to buying a rechargeable cordless.