Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

19 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That’s terrible.  What a thing to have hanging over your wedding day.  Obviously everyone made their own decision to attend your wedding but to know it ended up killing one of your guests shortly after... that couple will carry that for a while.

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

True.  Though I've never seen hunters at the ski resort in over 15 years there.  It would be one hell of an extraction from 3,000ft with no public vehicle access anywhere close.

Is there any elevation limit to hunting?  I know with a lot of things the state gets much tighter with regs up high.  I think it would be an extreme stretch to see someone hunting up in that area, especially after reading this weather forum, but I'll edit it I guess, ha.

No real reason to put an elevation restriction on hunting - maybe on camping or extraction methods but walking around with a firearm or bow has minimal environmental impact.  Of course, with  a moose there's the other obvious consideration.  Years ago I read of a first-time moose hunter asking about the best point-of-aim on that kind of animal:

"Where do you shot a moose?"
"Next to the road!"

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, tamarack said:

No real reason to put an elevation restriction on hunting - maybe on camping or extraction methods but walking around with a firearm or bow has minimal environmental impact.  Of course, with  a moose there's the other obvious consideration.  Years ago I read of a first-time moose hunter asking about the best point-of-aim on that kind of animal:

"Where do you shot a moose?"
"Next to the road!"

Haha, yeah I just don’t see a hunter hiking all the up and in there to then have to carry a moose 1,500 vertical feet over variable terrain without any motorized assistance.  But then again I’m not a hunter so I have no idea... but that sounds like one hell of a sufferfest.

I’d think if you have a permit for a moose, there are far easier hunts in the NEK where you can just wait in a field off a road or ATV zone for one to walk by.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha, yeah I just don’t see a hunter hiking all the up and in there to then have to carry a moose 1,500 vertical feet over variable terrain without any motorized assistance.  But then again I’m not a hunter so I have no idea... but that sounds like one hell of a sufferfest.

I’d think if you have a permit for a moose, there are far easier hunts in the NEK where you can just wait in a field off a road or ATV zone for one to walk by.

If you have ever watched "The Last Alaskans" you've seen how it would be done - in pieces with many miles of sweat.  "Life Below Zero" has some similar illustrations.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The NEK is the only place you can hunt moose in VT this year. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I figured that would be the media narrative. Only certain uncontrolled mass gatherings are deemed “safe.”

I think I saw something tracing sturgis to multiple small outbreaks.  FWIW did anyone actually imply the protests were covid safe?  Steve I’ll find the link-walking the dog now...