Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's something different almost every evening, depending on cloud cover, etc. I am setting up a public camera pointed at it, hopefully by tomorrow; I will share the link here.

Nice. That will be great in winter for obs. 

9 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I disagree.   At least around here

Getting into the local vocational school (our son went) is hard.  Not enough spots. 
He is continuing his education to go into the construction field   Very competitive 

My district has its own vocational part and that is always full.  

College has been a great investment in indebtedness the last decade  for kids who choose degrees w poor job prospects 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

It's something different almost every evening, depending on cloud cover, etc. I am setting up a public camera pointed at it, hopefully by tomorrow; I will share the link here.

Mountain weather never gets old.  The slopes give the clouds some perspective too and I think what makes mountain weather so awesome is it gives the atmosphere a sense of 3-D.  In flat country, a cloud over your head is just a cloud over your head, but the topography in the mountains gives you something to compare height with.  

Like an elevation snow event over your head... in ALB I would know it’s snowing at 2,500ft but you wake up and it doesn’t matter if it was or not.  Now I look outside and despite wet grass in the yard I see plastered hills and that snow aloft becomes real.  Like oh, there it is... ha sort of like if a snowflake doesn’t accumulate on something, did it ever really exist?

If I were you I’d take that photo/view and a topo map and draw the different elevations on it so you can easily reference it for the... “yup, snow level got down to 2,800ft last night“ posts.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I forget, did you move there? Where is it?

We bought this house in April. I will be here most of the winter. I am back and forth through the summer and fall.

House is at 1,500 ft in Randolph, NH.

Has anyone in here ever done forecasting for the bay area in CA (Oakland, San Jose)? MOS can be pretty trash out there with temperatures...especially in anomalously warm patterns. For example, NAM/GFS had mid 70's there yesterday and they got to 90. I've tried to do a little digging into OAK and see if perhaps wind direction could be a huge influence but I didn't really find anything striking though the research was rather loose. 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Has anyone in here ever done forecasting for the bay area in CA (Oakland, San Jose)? MOS can be pretty trash out there with temperatures...especially in anomalously warm patterns. For example, NAM/GFS had mid 70's there yesterday and they got to 90. I've tried to do a little digging into OAK and see if perhaps wind direction could be a huge influence but I didn't really find anything striking though the research was rather loose. 

There’s always a big difference down there depending on wind direction. Inland torches and the shore gets Pacific puke. 

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There’s always a big difference down there depending on wind direction. Inland torches and the shore gets Pacific puke. 

Oakland is one of those locations where one side of town can bake while the other side of town is like 10-15F cooler? I guess any time there would be a wind component off the bay or ocean you can forget a torch. I'm guessing a NW wind would mean less marine taint for them? 

I remember a while back trying to use mixing heights/bufkit to see if that provided better accuracy with temp forecasting but I remember the GFS always going crazy mix happy there and would constantly result in temperatures well into the 80's. I also wouldn't think OAK is a location that mixes very well so I've wanted to look more into if using 925mb temps could give a solid idea (to gauge the airmass in place)? Also see NAM MOS has 96 today while GFS 86 (although 3-HR high on NAM is 91). They even pulled off the 90 yesterday with partly sunny skies. 

On 8/13/2020 at 9:46 AM, weatherwiz said:

Good luck! I always struggle with the notion of is it better to pay off bills or perhaps invest. I've tried to do alot of research into this and I really haven't found any conclusive evidence towards which is better. What my thinking has leaned towards is if you can pay down or pay off as many bills/debt as possible now that opens up even more room for investing down the road and also opens up much more money for yourself down the road. Others have stated...just pay the minimum on all your bills and live life lol. 

If your debt is revolving credit (credit cards) you should pay it off . Don’t carry balances, as has been said, interest rates are th key determinant and most CC have high rates. As for paying off mortgages, money is “cheap” (low rates) right now so it tempting to use that money to invest as long as you can beat the return. The caveat is mortgages are expensive over their life and you can pay more in interest than in principle so paying off the mortgage makes sense, that’s what it did for my mother, if your a risk averse investor that COA makes sense. Then use the money you save from each months mortgage payment and invest it overtime , dollar cost average into investments rather than do it all at once, dampens out the (wild) swings in the market. Any good financial advisor should ask you about your tolerance for risk and go from there.

Anyways my thoughts.

• Thanks 1

Picked a 5 gallon bucket full of tomatoes this morning. Bell peppers greens and red like crazy,  chilis by the dozen.  Rapid ripening in 2 days. Tomatoes leaves are turning very early this year. Picked about 50 stalks of celery after blanching, bunch of green beans. Dogs love green beans, tomatoes, celery and peppers. Great treats. They follow me to the garden every morning for their green bean treats. Making sauce tonight. Garden seems very early this year. Even though I water daily and miracle grow weekly there is something about natural rain that is different for plants. Big difference from last year as maturity was early September.  Big big winter incoming?

• Like 3

Never seen anything like this warning before:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED   TORNADO WARNING   NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV   235 PM PDT SAT AUG 15 2020     THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO HAS ISSUED A     * TORNADO WARNING FOR...   SOUTHEASTERN LASSEN COUNTY IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA...     * UNTIL 330 PM PDT.     * AT 228 PM PDT, A PYROCUMULONIMBUS FROM THE LOYALTON WILDFIRE IS   CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A FIRE INDUCED TORNADO AND OUTFLOW WINDS IN   EXCESS OF 60 MPH WAS LOCATED SOUTH OF CHILCOOT, AND IS NEARLY   STATIONARY.     HAZARD...TORNADO.     SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.     IMPACT...EXTREME FIRE BEHAVIOR WITH STRONG OUTFLOW WINDS CAPABLE   OF DOWNING TREES AND STARTING NEW FIRES. THIS IS AND   EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SITUATION FOR FIRE FIGHTERS.     * THIS TORNADIC PYROCUMULONIMBUS WILL REMAIN OVER MAINLY RURAL AREAS   OF SOUTHEASTERN LASSEN COUNTY IN THE VICINITY OF THE FIRE.    

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Here is the link to the camera I set up facing the Northern Presidentials. This is right off my deck. The fish eye lens effect of the camera makes the mountains seem further away than they actually are. They are much, much closer in person. :) 

https://video.nest.com/live/cfvTL567uL

Nice, now we can watch you wrestle bears for sport on the front lawn!

51 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Here is the link to the camera I set up facing the Northern Presidentials. This is right off my deck. The fish eye lens effect of the camera makes the mountains seem further away than they actually are. They are much, much closer in person. :) 

https://video.nest.com/live/cfvTL567uL

Spectacular! what mountains.  Will be cool to watch the snow cover March down the mountain