Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, mreaves said:

Interest rates are the reason we chose to finance our recent appliance purchases from Home Depot.  Interest free for 24 months.  I'll use someone else's money for free for the next 2 years. Just make sure to pay them off within that time or they will hit you with the entire amount of interest the day after the interest free period ends.

I kind of feel that way about all my home improvement projects. Front walkway? Deck? Solar panels? :lol:

Skilled trades are booming here in CT. I can work pretty much endless overtime if I wanted.  Huge shortage of state licensed hvac, electrical, plumbing, etc workers. There are huge sign on bonuses.  All those jobs are mostly apprentice based jobs with zero college debt. 

Lineman made an absolute killing the last week. My neighbor who is one said he made over $10k working 16 hour days. Said he will make close to 200k this year .

Its funny how back in the late 90s my High School gutted the entire tech ed department and converted it to classrooms... 

Screenshot_20200813-100728_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

Skilled trades are booming here in CT. I can work pretty much endless overtime if I wanted.  Huge shortage of state licensed hvac, electrical, plumbing, etc workers. There are huge sign on bonuses.  All those jobs are mostly apprentice based jobs with zero college debt. 

Lineman made an absolute killing the last week. My neighbor who is one said he made over $10k working 16 hour days. Said he will make close to 200k this year .

Its funny how back in the late 90s my High School gutted the entire tech ed department and converted it to classrooms... 

Folks will be paying top dollar over the next 20 yrs or so as there are less and less going into the trades and the older tradesman retiring there will be more of a demand then a supply.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Jokes aside, There are a lot of idiots out there. But I am doing well and so are some others... It's about the only thing entertaining me during the pandemic. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/robinhood-investors-are-beating-the-stock-market-and-heres-the-data-that-proves-it-2020-08-06

3 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Yup. These big companies are also some of the few who still provide pensions. Actual fair benefits, etc. Best way to head for a job.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Skilled trades are not the "In" thing for the younger generation.  

Manual labor is the reason, Can't work it into the gaming slot, Folks trying to hire a carpenter, electrician and plumber right now are having a tough time finding one, And if you do, You're on a wait list.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Skilled trades are not the "In" thing for the younger generation.  

I disagree.   At least around here

Getting into the local vocational school (our son went) is hard.  Not enough spots. 
He is continuing his education to go into the construction field   Very competitive 

My district has its own vocational part and that is always full.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I disagree.   At least around here

Getting into the local vocational school (our son went) is hard.  Not enough spots. 
He is continuing his education to go into the construction field   Very competitive 

My district has its own vocational part and that is always full.  

There is a lot of money to be made in the Plumbing, Heating and HVAC industry.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The biggest issue i see up here is most that get into these trades only want to do new construction and not repairs to existing infrastructure because your dealing with someone else's problems.

I’m guessing people start working in the bigger new construction firms and then some decide to become their own boss and start their own plumbing, electrical, carpentry businesses?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I’m guessing people start working in the bigger new construction firms and then some decide to become their own boss and start their own plumbing, electrical, carpentry businesses?

Yes, That and I know a few that got into it later in life and opted to go the repairs route instead of new construction because you can demand higher $$$ with fewer doing repairs and it being more competitive for new.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Yup. These big companies are also some of the few who still provide pensions. Actual fair benefits, etc. Best way to head for a job.

My company has had to actually increase pay,  retirement benefits, more vacation time etc to match up with what other companies are offering. Workers will leave in a flash if another company has better benefits and are paying more. There are huge sign on bonuses out there as well.

• Like 1

Lot of people out there to work but getting good skilled labor is something all companies are trying to hang onto, Its an employees mkt if you have a needed skill and can actually demand what you want and someone will be more then willing to oblige with sign on bonuses, Higher wage and Bennies to lure you away, One of the main reasons i have kept my CDL license so when i retire, If i want to go drive truck part time, I will have no issue finding a job with my clean license.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

From the article:

The policy would be in full force inside any sheriff buildings and civilians coming into that office would be barred from wearing a mask.

If that civilian doesn't want to go mask-less, he or she will be asked to exit the building and leave a cell phone number so they could be called and invited back inside when a sheriff's employee is free to meet with them.

The sheriff may be free to direct his department's policy, but telling his employers (the citizens) they cannot come into the building wearing a mask seems like dereliction of duty and makes second-class citizens of all who wish to be masked, especially those with comorbidities that make them high risk.  Who gets to tell their boss how to behave?

I suspect he added the barring of mask-wearing citizens to make a political statement and I hope it backfires before anyone gets sick due to his idiotic policy.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Just download RobinHood, put all your savings in the stock market, blindfold yourself, and put money in the stock your dart lands on

20+ years a go a group of elderly ladies used the darts method, and their results over a couple years outperformed the Dow and most of the big houses like Merrill-Lynch.  :o

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BrianW said:

Great gig if you can get it, but like most of those jobs, very difficult to get into. At least around here, you always hear we don’t have enough trade workers, yet none of these jobs ever come available.

If I could go back in time I’d probably do electrical or plumbing. Pretty hard at 26 now that I’m married and own a home... can’t really afford to do it, and not sure I have the time to learn it making very little $$.

My college degree is useless in my current line of work. I have my hoisting licenses and pesticide applicators license and and making decent money, at least comparatively to others in my age group.

• Like 2

Luckily I had a full ride to Seton Hall for soccer so I never had the $120k student debt that some of my peers are still paying off. That’s just nuts. If you have to pay for school you should chose a profession that you see yourself in. Doctor, lawyer, scientist, etc. Otherwise, going to college just because it is the next thing to do while ‘figuring it out’ may not be the best path. It’s kinda what I did until I stumbled upon logistics and supply chain my senior year and it turned out to be my career that I am passionate about...but I didn’t have to pay heeps to do so, thankfully. But everyone has a different goal in mind, not everyone is built with career aspirations at 18, and this is Amerka...do whatever you want.  

• Like 1