Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

6 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I obviously don’t think it is right, the last think we need to be doing is cutting people’s salaries in any line of work.

Its a really horrible situation, that has no winners. You feel bad for teachers who are being painted as not wanting to go back to work in person, when most would probably prefer it, and you have parents now who have kids home an extra 40 hours a week and don’t know what to do with them.

It would be mice if some sort of governing body would step in and rain money down for parents who now need childcare all week. Seems like the only option.

I would say the MTA President isn’t representing most teachers and she is likely overplaying her hand but I don’t mean to say that anyone concerned about their safety or kids returning is in the wrong. 

2 hours ago, White Rain said:

Sat through two hours of a school commitee meeting (not the whole thing). Opinions all over the place on remote vs hybrid learning plans. Still a lot to figure out.

We just had a 4 1/2 marathon meeting.  As you said opinions all over the place.  We were going full in school last week, by the end of the week they changed their stance to full remote.  The superintendent was getting nasty emails, including harming him and the board members.  Alot of pretty pissed off parents up here.  Sounds like alot of the teachers were not comfortable with full time, so they didn't have enough teachers.  Many of the subs backed down too.  I can see both sides, but the rudeness of people over this, is just wrong.  Its no one's fault.  Its a terrible situation for everyone. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I would say the MTA President isn’t representing most teachers and she is likely overplaying her hand but I don’t mean to say that anyone concerned about their safety or kids returning is in the wrong. 

She is definitely overplaying.  Ask for 5 major things. Get 2.   Something like that.  Our local union was fairly evenly split and the SC went their own way.  Some changes were made last night to help out some groups like special ed , vocational students etc.  

Anyhoo, R naught for MA has been back below 1 (0.97) for a little while. That’s good

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dan said:

We just had a 4 1/2 marathon meeting.  As you said opinions all over the place.  We were going full in school last week, by the end of the week they changed their stance to full remote.  The superintendent was getting nasty emails, including harming him and the board members.  Alot of pretty pissed off parents up here.  Sounds like alot of the teachers were not comfortable with full time, so they didn't have enough teachers.  Many of the subs backed down too.  I can see both sides, but the rudeness of people over this, is just wrong.  Its no one's fault.  Its a terrible situation for everyone. 

Lots of subs won’t be doing it.  Already a short supply 

15 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Are they? Down here they make $120K + after 20-25 years, nice pension and great benefits

No where near that in my hood, but our cost of living isn’t as high I’m guessing.  I’m 20+ years in and make under $80k.  
I have never had an issue with my pay.   It is fine.  Benefits are good but we self fund our pension >95%.   
I do wish the city could pay for materials, texts, technology etc. hire more paras and tutors.  More guidance counselors and other support staff are sorely needed.  So many kids come from really tough households. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

No where near that in my hood, but our cost of living isn’t as high I’m guessing.  I’m 20+ years in and make under $80k.  
I have never had an issue with my pay.   It is fine.  Benefits are good but we self fund our pension >95%.   
I do wish the city could pay for materials, texts, technology etc. hire more paras and tutors.  More guidance counselors and other support staff are sorely needed.  So many kids come from really tough households. 

Cost of living his higher, but 120k is more than most people in the private sector make here. So in the overall job market is above average pay. And the pension...which most in the private sector do not get...

37 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The average Public School Teacher salary in Connecticut is $63,053 as of July 27, 2020, but the range typically falls between $55,046 and $72,792.

Not as much as Mass. Having summers basically off.  180 days times say 10 hrs a day figuring extra home and weekends is 1800 hrs so average is roughly 35 per hour in Ct

46 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

No hazard pay for the sweaty kids in June either.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

No mosquitoes at all this summer.  Epic dry. Since the storm no bugs overnight in the pool either. Occasional grasshopper but bugs be gone. Aint no bugs on me

Been a few mosquitoes up here, Been in the pool over the weekend, Low 80 pool temp, Had a family party with about 25 of us, Good times but heading back to the lake Saturday, Second of my free rentals.