Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

24 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Novavaxs matrix M vaccine is going to work.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

They are a front runner as far as immune response looks . There is approval and then there is a game changer level of efficiency. Pfizer and Moderna will cross the finish line before but that is not the most importer thing obviously . Shares are rocking close to 180$. 

Phase 3 data and dissecting the (median response of high risk individuals looks to be a total unknown currently ) as well as the length of immunity period (mild cases may not offer much ) and possible  LT side effects of lack there of (which there will be no time to conduct studies on by the time mass vaccination is approved . Will be interesting , Especially in vaccines that lead to symptomatic responses . Mr Fauci has been vocal in dialing hopes back a bit.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Hopefully before that, ha.  They are like large raccoons.  They'll steal food off your deck, from your car, the dumpsters, anywhere they can get it.

I stayed at the Attitash Grand Hotel and one nite after 1am they had a bear in the lobby . Just walked in thru automatic doors and some panicked employee noticed it like 20 mins later hahaha

• Like 3

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya, and there prices are very very reasonable for a solid spot . They are in a good locale 15 min to N Conway eats 

Yup. We have stayed there a couple of times.  Their pricing structure can be funky. Sometimes the deals aren’t described correctly. But we have been happy with our stays there.  

57 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

These bears are god damn savages. 

There's no stopping them.  This was what a friend tried to do on advice of the Game Wardens. 

We got hit twice yesterday alone.

Up at the mountain they removed a door, hinges, and the door frame right off a building to get to compost. 

117151614_10164434516435497_467145996554

117287813_10164434516480497_784960964502

The bear just laughed at this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I stayed at the Attitash Grand Hotel and one nite after 1am they had a bear in the lobby . Just walked in thru automatic doors and some panicked employee noticed it like 20 mins later hahaha

Ha!  That’s happened at Stowe Mtn Lodge, but I think the valet got to him quick.  He was hitting the loading dock there under Over Easy and wandered to the front of the hotel, ha.

25 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I think the derecho is the one doing the chasing 

The bow seems to be heading right for Chicago.  Anyone who has time on their hands during the next hour or two this earthcam site should be interesting to watch

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/illinois/chicago/field/?cam=fieldmuseum

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

The bow seems to be heading right for Chicago.  Anyone who has time on their hands during the next hour or two this earthcam site should be interesting to watch

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/illinois/chicago/field/?cam=fieldmuseum

want to see no tree left standing 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Worse education (it’s not really close ) and more costs to parents . At some point people (likely after a mediocre vaccine ) will realize they have to live with this virus for a very long time and breathe .

The likelihood of a very effective vaccine seems unlikely and the real data will be phase 3 when they actually test the response on the populations who make up 90% of hospitalizations (obese / smokers / elderly ) and hospital workers in high Covid areas make up a large % of the relatively small number of healthy 20-50 year olds hospitalized that don’t fall into the other co-morbidity’s.

No easy choices , Mose suburbanites aren’t used to not having a painless option.

People are seeing first hand how powerful the teachers union is. Not sure how many other jobs you could tell your employer you’re not going back to work.

My mom has a couple of friends who had kids late and still have school aged children. They (and apparently this isn’t just a few rogue people) want teacher salaries slashed and use the saved funds to pay for childcare for parents who can’t stay home with their kids. I bet this is going to be a pretty widespread idea when people’s taxes are still raised and now they are paying for 40 hours of extra childcare a week.

My guess is when parent teacher conferences finally resume in person, you aren’t going to have a lot of happy people walking into those classrooms to meet with teachers, right or wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

People are seeing first hand how powerful the teachers union is. Not sure how many other jobs you could tell your employer you’re not going back to work.

My mom has a couple of friends who had kids late and still have school aged children. They (and apparently this isn’t just a few rogue people) want teacher salaries slashed and use the saved funds to pay for childcare for parents who can’t stay home with their kids. I bet this is going to be a pretty widespread idea when people’s taxes are still raised and now they are paying for 40 hours of extra childcare a week.

My guess is when parent teacher conferences finally resume in person, you aren’t going to have a lot of happy people walking into those classrooms to meet with teachers, right or wrong.

At least a couple of my coworkers have left teaching (at least for now) rather than do remote teaching. I am not sure I understand the philosophy of cutting my salary since I will still be teaching 100+ students (maybe 150 this year if we don’t hire back some of those cut).  Remote teaching in the spring was much more difficult than in person and def not as good (although lawmakers, parents and admin are at least as much to blame as teachers.   If a kid isn’t taking part in the lessons and the parents don’t make them take part how is that the teachers fault?). 

Many people are still working remotely. I get that many jobs can’t be done that way.  I also don’t think many jobs put you in as close contact with as many potential vectors as being in a classroom. 

so tired of being society’s punching bag. 

I just want to teach science. I want to be with my students in person.  This is not the fault of the teachers. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

At least a couple of my coworkers have left teaching (at least for now) rather than do remote teaching. I am not sure I understand the philosophy of cutting my salary since I will still be teaching 100+ students (maybe 150 this year if we don’t hire back some of those cut).  Remote teaching in the spring was much more difficult than in person and def not as good (although lawmakers, parents and admin are at least as much to blame as teachers.   If a kid isn’t taking part in the lessons and the parents don’t make them take part how is that the teachers fault?). 

Many people are still working remotely. I get that many jobs can’t be done that way.  I also don’t think many jobs put you in as close contact with as many potential vectors as being in a classroom. 

so tired of being society’s punching bag. 

I just want to teach science. I want to be with my students in person.  This is not the fault of the teachers. 

I obviously don’t think it is right, the last think we need to be doing is cutting people’s salaries in any line of work.

Its a really horrible situation, that has no winners. You feel bad for teachers who are being painted as not wanting to go back to work in person, when most would probably prefer it, and you have parents now who have kids home an extra 40 hours a week and don’t know what to do with them.

It would be mice if some sort of governing body would step in and rain money down for parents who now need childcare all week. Seems like the only option.

• Like 1