Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Congrats.  I'm in the queue at Maine PERS to have my benefits and options calculated.  When that's ready, wife and I will meet with those folks (probably on ZOOM) with the intent to leave in December.  Some possibility for contract work to aid in training my successor (or at least making sense of my tangled computer files for him/her) and with next year's full recertification audit for forest sustainability.  Also have a permanent invite to future expert peer-review field trips like we had last 2 days, only as one of the experts* rather than the host/note-taker.

*Ex-pert:  Ex: A has-been.  (s)pert: A drip under pressure.

Congrats to you and your wife as well!  It’s so funny but we always know when it’s time. When my potential 2 day/week gig sent me computer access credentials I pulled the trigger.  If that doesn’t pan out-who cares...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

He was a dude who used to walk around town in the 1980s collecting cans in a wheelbarrow he pushed.   He was a hard worker at that.  He had t shirts etc that someone made for him that said Goofy Balls

Yeah, doesn't ring a bell.  We did have one guy who would always come from the Van Dora Nursing Home down to the Igo Building to watch us play soccer.  He must have been 90 years old.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Greater than any single conventional weapon.  This event led me to look up the 1917 explosion in Halifax harbor.  That was a munitions ship and the blast was evaluated as being equal to about 2,900 tons of TNT.  It pretty much leveled everything within a half mile and tossed heavy pieces of metal over 3 miles.  Nearly 2,000 fatalities - I hope Beirut casualties remain in the low hundreds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I worked at a liquor store for years.  Started in the Redemption area at the age of 16 and ended up doing pretty much everything once I hit the age of 18.  The people I saw day to day.  The day drinkers, the drunks, the people who picked up every can/bottle know to man for the $0.05.  Crazy folks.

6 years working at a liquor store for me. Man, the people and the stories!  

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Greater than any single conventional weapon.  This event led me to look up the 1917 explosion in Halifax harbor.  That was a munitions ship and the blast was evaluated as being equal to about 2,900 tons of TNT.  It pretty much leveled everything within a half mile and tossed heavy pieces of metal over 3 miles.  Nearly 2,000 fatalities - I hope Beirut casualties remain in the low hundreds.

There is an 1150lb anchor shaft from a ship that blew up in that explosion gang went 2.5 miles

There were a ton of people who had eye injuries (I think Jerry treated some).  Boston hospitals and doctors helped out and as a token of thanks each year the citizens of Halifax donate a large Christmas tree to the city of Boston   Canadians are awesome

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Halifax explosion was bigger than the Beirut blast if the numbers are compared. The former had a blast yield of just shy of 3 kilotons of TNT. The latter had 2.75 kilotons of ammonia nitrate but that has a explosive yield of 1 kiloton of TNT. Fertilizer and hi grade explosives do not equal same yield despite same mass. It’s around 40%.

Nice shrooms from both though
cae2d0ca1a124c4e252307f7029e0afb.jpg

#NovaScotiaStrong

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There is an 1150lb anchor shaft from a ship that blew up in that explosion gang went 2.5 miles

There were a ton of people who had eye injuries (I think Jerry treated some).  Boston hospitals and doctors helped out and as a token of thanks each year the citizens of Halifax donate a large Christmas tree to the city of Boston   Canadians are awesome

Laughing at the “Jerry treated some” line, not at the tragedy itself. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Don't forget about Tianjin China:

27 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
9 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:
They got fined $600   Against Board of Health regs.   I was kinda shocked. 

edit.  Sorry.  I didn’t see this was already answered

I heard one state would start cutting power to homes that have parties. Sorry, but that's over the line for me.

California.   I would hope people wouldn’t have large indoor gatherings.  If it goes against health dept regs fine them. Make people know they were holding large parties.   

The $600 fine is not at all a deterrent.  How much did the hotel make by hosting the events?   $600 eating into the typically substantial profits vs nada kind of gives the venue the opportunity to put some language in and pass the cost onto the customer.  For flattening the curve to continue to work you. Have to have voluntary compliance.   Human beings have a wide range of what some consider acceptable behavior.   It’s been a long spell.  Those of us older don’t really feel so constrained but younger folks do.  We need a vaccine or a petering out of covid.

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The $600 fine is not at all a deterrent.  How much did the hotel make by hosting the events?   $600 eating into the typically substantial profits vs nada kind of gives the venue the opportunity to put some language in and pass the cost onto the customer.  For flattening the curve to continue to work you. Have to have voluntary compliance.   Human beings have a wide range of what some consider acceptable behavior.   It’s been a long spell.  Those of us older don’t really feel so constrained but younger folks do.  We need a vaccine or a petering out of covid.

Agreed.   And people try to equate an indoor wedding with a protest march...

Tons more studies coming out about T-cell immunity. Its looking like a good majority of people are completely immune to covid.

The blue links below are to to multiple studies supporting it. 

From a NY times article yesterday. 

Eight months ago, the new coronavirus was unknown. But to some of our immune cells, the virus was already something of a familiar foe.

A flurry of recent studies has revealed that a large proportion of the population — 20 to 50 percent of people in some places — might harbor immunity assassins called T cells that recognize the new coronavirus despite having never encountered it before.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/health/coronavirus-immune-cells.html

• Like 1

Sitting in my living room getting some work done and the corner my eye sees this big black mass move right past the screen door.  This guy moved walked within 10 feet of where I was sitting, like he was just wandering the outside of the building. 

The dog went apesh*t like she does and he started jogging away from us. 

He comes by daily at this point, but man, middle of the day and he was literally feet away from me through the screen door again.

2L8A6356_edited-1-2.jpg.4cd7ad74125fb77a9d7c0a2fa9b551d5.jpg

2L8A6361_edited-1-2.jpg.d1590c2527380179d7b138cd150a8003.jpg

2L8A6363_edited-2-2.jpg.2362aac0371decce24df5987a6da5e3f.jpg

• Like 6