Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice, ORH.  

My wildlife includes accidentally leaving a can of Pringle’s by the pool this evening when the wife and I sat out for a drink.  A friend was dropping something off so we ran inside for a bit. 

I came back out a half hour later to clean up and the Pringle’s are gone.  No where to be found but I notice a paw print on the table.  Looking around I find the container along the woodline... damn bear stole them in the half hour we were chatting on the other side of the building!

300624C4-0AFE-4150-95A4-BE90535555EE.jpeg.79e824bee0d2a71a3a4f90a248a3c7e8.jpeg

When we lived in Bethlehem, there was some controversy in town because a nice old lady in town was baking brownies and leaving them out for the bears.  They developed a tremendous sweet tooth and were pests around town for awhile.  It took a lot of persuading to get her to stop.

8 minutes ago, klw said:

Those are Great North Woods Murder Cicadas.  They emerge every 17 years and have been known to each through screen windows in their prey.  They prefer to feed on roadkill, meterologists and small dogs.  In 1952, the sky darkened over Buxton and they were seen devouring a cocker spaniel in less that 4 minutes, leaving behind only its collar.  RIP Whiskey.

Thanks for the help...........:weenie:

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Got any brighter pics? They do seem somewhat cicada-like. A little bit longer and slender though.

That's all i have, Wife snapped the pic, I will have to investigate more tonight as i will be mowing the lot that has both of those trees, I tried searching beetles in this region and came up with nothing.

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
24 minutes ago, dryslot said:
No Utica Club?

Lol, the good ole party balls. I remember the Coors light ones. Nasty

I worked for a beer dist back in the 70-80's and we had all three, Genesee, Coors and Utica Club beer balls, They were great though, Just cut the box top off and fill it with ice,  I still have a couple keg beer taps too.......lol

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
26 minutes ago, dryslot said:
No Utica Club?

Lol, the good ole party balls. I remember the Coors light ones. Nasty

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I worked for a beer dist back in the 70-80's and we had all three, Genesee, Coors and Utica Club beer balls, They were great though, Just cut the box top off and fill it with ice,  I still have a couple keg beer taps too.......lol

I remember driving around with one behind the back seat in a hatchback.  The spout was just a little to short to reach the driver's seat.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I had a job in college serving beer at (believe it or not) the on campus pub.  Learned to tap kegs without getting de-balled in the old school type.

• Like 1

I worked at a liquor store for years.  Started in the Redemption area at the age of 16 and ended up doing pretty much everything once I hit the age of 18.  The people I saw day to day.  The day drinkers, the drunks, the people who picked up every can/bottle know to man for the $0.05.  Crazy folks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not like anything I've seen.  The shape and (estimated-from-pic) size suggests some species of stonefly but I've never seen one anywhere near that dark.  Adult stoneflies run 1.5-2"+ long. 

Going to have to make a closer examination, I have not seen these before either.

13 hours ago, weathafella said:

Thank you!   I decided to put the papers in....out on 9/30/2020.   Several interesting gigs await...maybe taking up 2 days a week.   Looking forward to the next chapter.

Congrats.  I'm in the queue at Maine PERS to have my benefits and options calculated.  When that's ready, wife and I will meet with those folks (probably on ZOOM) with the intent to leave in December.  Some possibility for contract work to aid in training my successor (or at least making sense of my tangled computer files for him/her) and with next year's full recertification audit for forest sustainability.  Also have a permanent invite to future expert peer-review field trips like we had last 2 days, only as one of the experts* rather than the host/note-taker.

*Ex-pert:  Ex: A has-been.  (s)pert: A drip under pressure.

• Like 1

https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/08/06/beirut-blast-one-of-biggest-ever-non-nuclear-explosions/

A team from the University of Sheffield has calculated the strength of the blast based on the videos and photographs which have emerged since the disaster.

They believe the explosion was the equivalent of 1,000 to 1,500 tonnes of TNT – a blast intensity which would support the belief that it was caused by the detonation of 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate fertiliser.

This is about a tenth of the intensity of the Hiroshima nuclear bomb but far bigger than any blast from a conventional weapon.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Congrats.  I'm in the queue at Maine PERS to have my benefits and options calculated.  When that's ready, wife and I will meet with those folks (probably on ZOOM) with the intent to leave in December.  Some possibility for contract work to aid in training my successor (or at least making sense of my tangled computer files for him/her) and with next year's full recertification audit for forest sustainability.  Also have a permanent invite to future expert peer-review field trips like we had last 2 days, only as one of the experts* rather than the host/note-taker.

*Ex-pert:  Ex: A has-been.  (s)pert: A drip under pressure.

FYI, City arborist coming to take a look at the trees and those Bugs/Beetles.

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I worked at a liquor store for years.  Started in the Redemption area at the age of 16 and ended up doing pretty much everything once I hit the age of 18.  The people I saw day to day.  The day drinkers, the drunks, the people who picked up every can/bottle know to man for the $0.05.  Crazy folks.

Do you remember Goofy Balls?

3 hours ago, klw said:

When we lived in Bethlehem, there was some controversy in town because a nice old lady in town was baking brownies and leaving them out for the bears.  They developed a tremendous sweet tooth and were pests around town for awhile.  It took a lot of persuading to get her to stop.

If Jeff dryslot made the brownies the bears would be chillin for hours then have tremendous munchies. You could control them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1