Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

13 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I think school systems should plan for full-time remote learning, if they're not already.

The moment a teacher or student tests positive, they'll close down the school.  Maybe for only 2 weeks at a time, but that'll get tiresome by winter after a few bouts of having to shut down.

That's the real issue here.  As soon as someone tests positive, parents will start pulling their kids anyway.  Half the school won't show up the next day if it's on the news that 4 people are positive in a school of 2,000... then what do you do?

How disruptive is that when every school with a case is closing, then reopening, some parents don't send kids, some parents have to send kids because they have no other option... then the way the rumor mill works in these suburban towns... probably only need a rumor of someone having COVID to pretty much shut a school down.

Much different than a factory or private business.

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/01/us/schools-reopening-indiana-coronavirus.html

One of the first school districts in the country to reopen its doors during the coronavirus pandemic did not even make it a day before being forced to grapple with the issue facing every system actively trying to get students into classrooms: What happens when someone comes to school infected?

Just hours into the first day of classes on Thursday, a call from the county health department notified Greenfield Central Junior High School in Indiana that a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive for the coronavirus.

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/01/us/schools-reopening-indiana-coronavirus.html

One of the first school districts in the country to reopen its doors during the coronavirus pandemic did not even make it a day before being forced to grapple with the issue facing every system actively trying to get students into classrooms: What happens when someone comes to school infected?

Just hours into the first day of classes on Thursday, a call from the county health department notified Greenfield Central Junior High School in Indiana that a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive for the coronavirus.

Are they still open?

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Are they still open?

Don't know.  Such an awful situation.  There is just no real good answer.  My son is going into first grade now.  Last spring was tough with him being home all the time and my wife and I were working from home.  Luckily we are both able to do that, I know alot of other parents don't have that choice.  I commend the teachers in our school, they did the best they could with the time they had.

29 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

There is no end game. Vaccine is a panacea but how long does it last,effective, one positive right? 

I guess we can hope that it will last long enough to where by the time most people get it this can just fizzle out...and at the same time start becoming weaker. But obviously this leads to a ton of questions but it's just hope I suppose.

There is no end game. Vaccine is a panacea but how long does it last,effective, one positive right? 

An article yesterday said that the percentage of people willing to get a vaccine as soon as it comes out has dropped to about 40%, down from 55% in April. Mostly cause people want to wait it out awhile before getting injected with a rushed to market vax. So the thought that the vax is the end all be all won't be the case even if very effective if not enough people don't get vaccinated.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Not being asked to assume some risk?  You are packing a lot of bodies into extremely poorly ventilated, old school buildings for hours and hours at a time.  I don't blame teachers for looking for something other than the same ol' same ol' school day. 

I don’t blame them for looking for something other than the “same old same old”. And obviously it’s not going to be that. Do we really think an option on the table ever has been send them back and do nothing as far as precautions?

I’m all for fighting for better precautions and safety but it doesn’t seem like anything is going to be okay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

An article yesterday said that the percentage of people willing to get a vaccine as soon as it comes out has dropped to about 40%, down from 55% in April. Mostly cause people want to wait it out awhile before getting injected with a rushed to market vax. So the thought that the vax is the end all be all won't be the case even if very effective if not enough people don't get vaccinated.

And even if it weren't rushed to market... What healthy person under 60 would choose to inject themselves with something where the long-term effects are unknown?

82/65

4 minutes ago, tunafish said:

And even if it weren't rushed to market... What healthy person under 60 would choose to inject themselves with something where the long-term effects are unknown?

82/65

Someone who wants things to get back to normal? I’ll take it, somebody is going to have to in order for us to get back to some sort of normal. And I don’t think they’ll be administering something that’ll give you 5 heads in a year, I’m sure the risks will be low.

I do find it funny how everyone is clamoring for a return to normal and when push comes to shove a lot of folks are like “ehhhhh I’ll pass on the vaccine for now”. You really can’t have it both ways

It's a personal choice for everyone, even though I certainly didn't phrase it that way.  Should have said "as a healthy person under 60, I personally wouldn't rush to get the vaccine..."

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Someone who wants things to get back to normal? I’ll take it, somebody is going to have to in order for us to get back to some sort of normal. And I don’t think they’ll be administering something that’ll give you 5 heads in a year, I’m sure the risks will be low.

I do find it funny how everyone is clamoring for a return to normal and when push comes to shove a lot of folks are like “ehhhhh I’ll pass on the vaccine for now”. You really can’t have it both ways

I agree, you can't have it both ways and I'm not sure those groups of people are the same, necessarily.  Personally I'm not clamoring for a return to normal.  Yes, everything is more difficult now than it used to be.  I've accepted that this is a marathon and it'll be years before things are normal, even if they make it back to normal at all. But we're humans and we adapt.  Some more easily than others.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Moderna will supposedly charged around $35 per dose of their vaccine. 

Cha ching...

It’s all about the money, as usual. 

I will say this though, I’d like to think there will be some staying power for this vaccine. If we have to get a booster or something every 2 or 3 months for it to work I think we are in a lot of trouble.

31 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s all about the money, as usual. 

I will say this though, I’d like to think there will be some staying power for this vaccine. If we have to get a booster or something every 2 or 3 months for it to work I think we are in a lot of trouble.

Fauci said 50% effectiveness would be a success.