• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

My uneducated guess is ammonium nitrate. That stuff has been know to cause huge explosions with big pressure waves in the past. Could’ve started as a fireworks fire but spread into an area that stores fertilizer.

Whatever it was, the explosion was massive in scale and power. Here is a pic I grabbed of twitter. The cars are overturned facing the epicentre. They were literally pulled toward the explosion from the vacuum created by the blast. That’s a beast.

1c0b336d6e0de802278a458e875e7d08.jpg

#NovaScotiaStrong

6 minutes ago, Hazey said:

My uneducated guess is ammonium nitrate. That stuff has been know to cause huge explosions with big pressure waves in the past. Could’ve started as a fireworks fire but spread into an area that stores fertilizer.

Whatever it was, the explosion was massive in scale and power. Here is a pic I grabbed of twitter. The cars are overturned facing the epicentre. They were literally pulled toward the explosion from the vacuum created by the blast. That’s a beast.

1c0b336d6e0de802278a458e875e7d08.jpg

#NovaScotiaStrong

Close.  It was Sodium Nitrate

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Close.  It was Sodium Nitrate

Seeing reports that both Sodium and Ammonium nitrate were stored there.   Sodium nitrate isn't explosive on it's own and would not have reacted with another chemical fast enough to cause something that big. Ammonium nitrate is the more likely suspect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_nitrate_disasters

I saw a report that there may have been 2700 tones of confiscated fert being stored there after it was seized as illegal cargo. Apparently this was back in 2013 but it was still being held at the port. Again just a story I saw on the net. Might be bs but that’s looks like a 3kiloton blast. I feel bad for them. What a disaster for a country that was already struggling.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Looks like local schools will be 100% remote for a few months at least, very likely longer.

Teachers unions putting on the full court press to not go back. Looks to be working.

Wish I could not go back to work and eliminate all risk.

Our union had a very mixed set of opinions. Prob mirrored the city pretty closely.  Our super wanted to go hybrid (me too) but school committee voted remote.    Hopefully something happens where we can go in person.   I just row the ship. 

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our union had a very mixed set of opinions. Prob mirrored the city pretty closely.  Our super wanted to go hybrid (me too) but school committee voted remote.    Hopefully something happens where we can go in person.   I just row the ship. 

Yeah I personally liked a hybrid approach to start. Something like one week on one week off or 2 days and 3 days etc etc. I really think continued remote learning is going to be a disaster for growth, especially younger kids.

(Not saying you), but I find it weird that teachers seem to be the only group not being asked to assume some risk returning to work. Everyone is assuming some sort of risk leaving their home and going to work, why should they be any different? As long as reasonable precautions are taken, what more can you ask?

• Confused 1