Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, CTValleySnowMan said:

Ok. Nice.  You're a bit further west than where we stay in Mount Vernon just west of Belgrade Lakes.  Similar-looking topography perhaps your area is a bit more mountainous.  Our lake is at about 400 ft with some 800-900 ft hills surrounding it. 

I'm on Long Pond most of the summer. Great area, I don't hate it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Nice to see they backed there way in i guess.

To be fair, the 5 game series they have to win to advance to the playoffs basically just replaces the end of the regular season for them. No matter who wins it all, there’ll be an asterisk on it. The NHL seems to have a good formula to start play again. MLB on the other hand...

7 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Ok. Nice.  You're a bit further west than where we stay in Mount Vernon just west of Belgrade Lakes.  Similar-looking topography perhaps your area is a bit more mountainous.  Our lake is at about 400 ft with some 800-900 ft hills surrounding it. 

Moose Pond has Shawnee Peak (aka Pleasant Mountain) located at the northern end. It is a pretty spot. My cousin went first as a camper and then as a counselor to a boys camp - Winona - for years.

Watching a beautiful sunrise over our lake as I type...maybe I should put the phone down!

1 hour ago, Angus said:

Moose Pond has Shawnee Peak (aka Pleasant Mountain) located at the northern end. It is a pretty spot. My cousin went first as a camper and then as a counselor to a boys camp - Winona - for years.

Watching a beautiful sunrise over our lake as I type...maybe I should put the phone down!

Yeah we can see pleasant mountain looking a little further left than my first shot straight up the lake...

45007A46-B608-4B3F-AD58-96F4ABE4CBC7.jpeg

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Tornado alley of ME.

I think it was two years ago when we were here right after the tornado hit the northern part of the lake at the 302 causeway. You could see the tree damage driving over it. 

1 hour ago, Angus said:

Winona Wimps :whistle:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

From the west side of the pond one can probably see the higher hills (1300' in Vienna and Rome) in the Kennebec Highlands.

Grew up in belgrade lakes. Had friends from Mount Vernon. Cool little town

Took this shot last night down by the fire pit. Thought it was kinda neat.27b92a783f370072179e22e314a82f3b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Nice, you let him stay up later than DIT.  

Congrats 4-year-old ORH.

I think he fell asleep before his head fully hit the pillow...his normal bedtime is like 745-8. :lol:

The kid is a fish though. He’s been on the beach and in the water since 830am. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How warm is the water? Must be at least high 70s.

Yeah not sure exact temps but in the shallow area near the dock it has to be at least high 70s. It’s definitely cooler in the deeper area near the channel. 

16 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

353 new cases in MA reported today. 2.6% positive.  Keeps going up.  7 day average up to 2.2%

Yeah we are headed in the wrong direction albeit slowly.  The average age of cases is dropping which tells me it's the younger adults getting sick. The upward trend in hospitalizations worries the most however, more intubations also.

• Like 1

Just now, Dan said:

Surprisingly very windy here today. No crazy gusts, but a steady breeze. Feels like something from the eastern Caribbean. The breeze is fantastic

Yes, very nice. Luckily a western wind so might be able to hit the Quabbin today. Yesterday with a straight south wind around 10mph there were 2-3' rollers. Not fun in an under-powered 16' boat.