Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Just got our notice about school for this year.  The district is offering a choice between completely remote learning or a hybrid model.  The hybrid model has kids going to half days of classes 2 days per week and remote learning the other 3 days.  Kids with last names that start with A-K will attend school in-person on Monday and Thursday while L-Z will attend school in-person on Tuesday and Friday.  It isn't perfect but I think they are doing the best they can with the situation they've been handed.

https://www.buusd.org/covid-19/reopening

How many cases has Barre had?

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Our county has had 47 cases and 2 deaths.  I know what you're trying to say but I also see that, as a state, we have done ok and I am fine with our cautious approach.

Wasn’t trying to say anything. Just a question , how many people are now infected? What’s the RO in your county. At what point is considered safe for full school? Are you providing with these answers

Just now, mreaves said:

Some people think we are being too cautious, I wonder myself at times.  But, like I said, I think we have done ok and don't want to change that now.  

Did you see what UVM's approach was going to be?  They are trying to do in-person but will provide testing before arrival on campus for all students and will require weekly testing for at least the first month students arrive.  Then they'll adjust as needed after that.  It's said to be one of the most extensive testing policies rolled out for a university.

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Some people think we are being too cautious, I wonder myself at times.  But, like I said, I think we have done ok and don't want to change that now.  

Wasn’t trying to say anything. Just a question , how many people are now infected? What’s the RO in your county. At what point is considered safe for full school? Are you providing with these answers

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Did you see what UVM's approach was going to be?  They are trying to do in-person but will provide testing before arrival on campus for all students and will require weekly testing for at least the first month students arrive.  Then they'll adjust as needed after that.  It's said to be one of the most extensive testing policies rolled out for a university.

The college I work at is doing on boarding testing before kids can move in and after that staff and students will be tested twice a week.

51 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Just got our notice about school for this year.  The district is offering a choice between completely remote learning or a hybrid model.  The hybrid model has kids going to half days of classes 2 days per week and remote learning the other 3 days.  Kids with last names that start with A-K will attend school in-person on Monday and Thursday while L-Z will attend school in-person on Tuesday and Friday.  It isn't perfect but I think they are doing the best they can with the situation they've been handed.

https://www.buusd.org/covid-19/reopening

Half day twice a week? That’s rough. You’d think it’d be easier to just keep everyone hoMe 

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

The college I work at is doing on boarding testing before kids can move in and after that staff and students will be tested twice a week.

Ha so not that extensive.  How many students?  I haven't read anything on how colleges/universities are handling it, just what's been written about the UVM one.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

First new case in awhile in my town today. My hunch is it's a library worker based on the announcement they made. We're starting to see some cases pop up around Winni and up through North Conway. Thanks Massholes. ;)

We don't go down to Jackson or North Conway very much. Too commercial and touristy feeling to me. I prefer the rugged, blue-collar vibe in Coos.

Just now, PhineasC said:

We don't go down to Jackson or North Conway very much. Too commercial and touristy feeling to me. I prefer the rugged, blue-collar vibe in Coos.

We like going to Littleton.  World's largest candy counter at Chutter's.  Home Depot and Lowes.  Traffic isn't nearly as bad as Burlington or W.Leb

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

First new case in awhile in my town today. My hunch is it's a library worker based on the announcement they made. We're starting to see some cases pop up around Winni and up through North Conway. Thanks Massholes. ;)

We recently supposedly had a local Shaws supermarket employee test positive along with an Alpine Mart/Subway employee... though apparently both turned out to be false positives after the serum test.

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wasn’t trying to say anything. Just a question , how many people are now infected? What’s the RO in your county. At what point is considered safe for full school? Are you providing with these answers

I'm not sure of the R0 for my county but for the state it's at .88.  Obviously ours is lower than that as it is heavily weighted by Chittenden County.  The state does have a decent dashboard and they send out a daily update.  https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19/current-activity-vermont

Just now, mreaves said:

I'm not sure of the R0 for my county but for the state it's at .88.  Obviously ours is lower than that as it is heavily weighted by Chittenden County.  The state does have a decent dashboard and they send out a daily update.  https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19/current-activity-vermont

Appears many districts will go part time remote until there is a 100% cure or vaccine is a long term 100% solution. Sad times for kids . I really feel bad for them and their parents.  This virus sucks . 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Appears many districts will go part time remote until there is a 100% cure or vaccine is a long term 100% solution. Sad times for kids . I really feel bad for them and their parents.  This virus sucks . 

It does suck and I feel sometimes like your damned if you do and damned if you don't.  You plug along and try to make the right decisions knowing there is little margin for error.  I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make those decisions.

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s awesome. It’s like seeing cats in NYC camping out near dumpsters, or rats. Just chilling until someone wastes food. 

Last week a friend woke up in the middle of the night to noise outside the window, flipped the outside lights on and this big guy is wandering around outside the screen.  He lives about a mile away from my place, other side of the golf course, but I haven't seen one this big.  He immediately shut the sliding doors open on the deck, and bedroom windows. These bears are curious and have no fear getting very close to homes, making a lot of folks "close up" more at night than they normally would.  This bear has to be 300-350 pounds.

West Hill Bear.jpg

• Like 2

Hopefully a safe vaccine can come out soon.  Going to be a rough time. Lots of people will die from this, economy will continue to suffer, education will take a hit. 
I do think of those three the education part will be the easiest to recover from. 

We took a bike trip out in Hadley/Amherst today. Close to 20 miles. I’ve never done that before.  Awesome day.  Loaded up on stuff at a place called Maple Farms. Made a huge charcuterie board.  I’m going to explode

Say our trip to The Andrea next week looks not so good 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Last week a friend woke up in the middle of the night to noise outside the window, flipped the outside lights on and this big guy is wandering around outside the screen.  He lives about a mile away from my place, other side of the golf course.  Immediately shut the sliding doors open on the deck, and bedroom windows. These bears are curious and have no fear getting very close to homes, making a lot of folks "close up" more at night than they normally would.  This bear has to be 300-350 pounds.

West Hill Bear.jpg

We have bears here. They seem to travel down the Hoose. People that see them say they are typically timid. I think up there, bears are less nomadic and more confident as if they’re like, ”this is my land so I’ll have a look around if you don’t mind.”

Our son’s school contracted testing with the Broad Institute (one of my old customers). They plan on testing all staff and students twice a week for the first month, then once per week. 
They really seem to have done a good job with the safety end but our son feels the experience isn’t there this semester so will be doing remote (saving a ton of $$$ too)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Hopefully a safe vaccine can come out soon.  Going to be a rough time. Lots of people will die from this, economy will continue to suffer, education will take a hit. 
I do think of those three the education part will be the easiest to recover from. 

We took a bike trip out in Hadley/Amherst today. Close to 20 miles. I’ve never done that before.  Awesome day.  Loaded up on stuff at a place called Maple Farms. Made a huge charcuterie board.  I’m going to explode

Say our trip to The Andrea next week looks not so good 

Fitch also downgrading US credit rating as we remain on an unsustainable path. Fed and Treasury continue debasing our currency and burying our children under a mountain of debt. But on a cheerier note, charcuterie is awesome.

31 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

First junior or senior courts party and the campus will be shut down again. 

We are 18+ months away from any sense of normalcy, especially when factoring in societal impact, economic impact etc.

I’ve been discussing that probability with my family and friends and neighbors, just to be mentally prepared.