Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

42 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Imagine having 4 kids each with a need to remote. I don't know about other schools but I have listened to my daughter and her kids complain incessantly about how badly the remote stuff is and how the teachers are mailing it in. Sad times

Yikes. This is as bad as your COVID takes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tunafish said:

Hold on... Hold the fook on.....

95 hasn't been 495 in 15+ years.  Is this a wunderground/mapquest overlay from 2002?!!

Also, Suckerville?  Is that aka the Lava Rock 'hood, cuz, ya know...

I thought that 495 was just the connector between 295 and 95 north of PWM.

And "Suckerville" probably (hopefully :lol:) refers to fish - sucker-gigging used to be a rite of spring, not so much nowadays.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yup.... and guess who this will negatively impact the most if kids can’t go back in person? Minorities and lower income families. 

Most working class families can’t afford to hire someone to watch their child 5 days a week for 6+ hours that school would normally take care of.

Interestingly enough, these populations have consistently been against F2F school in the fall. Maybe because of their already higher risk and not wanting to increase it?  Most lower income people know someone who had a bad covid outcome.

10 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Yikes. This is as bad as your COVID takes. 

Emphatically agree. My mother is a teacher and has never worked harder to make remote learning engaging. She put in the longest hours of her 35 year career over the spring. Frankly, I think a lot of teachers are going to burn out this year. Many are putting in a lot of time over the summer to plan and prepare for the possibility of shutdowns this fall/winter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Emphatically agree. My mother is a teacher and has never worked harder to make remote learning engaging. She put in the longest hours of her 35 year career over the spring. Frankly, I think a lot of teachers are going to burn out this year. Many are putting in a lot of time over the summer to plan and prepare for the possibility of shutdowns this fall/winter.

I am not shocked the majority of teachers are,my grandaughters have had the opposite experience. 

26 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I haven’t heard of any teacher mailing it in in my town. In fact, I’ve heard and spoken to elementary school teachers and I get the complete opposite vibe...working more, doing more for the kids, etc. Glad we live here.

My granddaughters high school was extremely bad in their remote stuff and teachers were not responsive. 

44 minutes ago, dryslot said:

@powderfreak First one i thought of when i saw this...........:lol:

Vermont.jpg

LOL, that’s literally been on our minds a lot with the composting law going into effect.  Now that we have to get more serious about it we were looking into getting bins and all sorts of details on how to manage it most effectively, and with neighbors telling us about their bear sightings, it was sounding really complicated.  Then my wife spoke to one of her friends at work that essentially removed all the hassle.  Her friend’s method that has been working well for years is that she simply dumps her stuff back in the woods, tosses some leaves on it, and that’s it.  We picked a spot well away from the house though just in case of bear issues.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

LOL, that’s literally been on our minds a lot with the composting law going into effect.  Now that we have to get more serious about it we were looking into getting bins and all sorts of details on how to manage it most effectively, and with neighbors telling us about their bear sightings, it was sounding really complicated.  Then my wife spoke to one of her friends at work that essentially removed all the hassle.  Her friend’s method that has been working well for years is that she simply dumps her stuff back in the woods, tosses some leaves on it, and that’s it.  We picked a spot well away from the house though just in case of bear issues.

Lol.  If any fruit or vegetables start going bad, that's what I do too.  

55 minutes ago, dryslot said:

@powderfreak First one i thought of when i saw this...........:lol:

Vermont.jpg

Ha yup, that's the compost inspection division alright.  Our guy destroyed our first attempt at it and the Fish & Game Warden said with the bears in Stowe (he said Stowe and Richmond were getting hit really bad by bears) that right now despite the law he said we should forgo any composting until we can get a true secure way for it not to be feed for them.

Every day you drive around here there are dumpsters emptied with trash.  There are more bears than any other animal around here.  Just a day ago, a family was checking into a neighboring townhome air b'n'b and the father was like "At 2pm I was unloading the car and this bear just casually walked right down the sidewalk, past our SUV, within 10 feet of me holding luggage, and he went straight over to the dumpster and hopped in."  I was like oh yeah, that's our daily visitor.  He circles our pool and stays outside the fence grazing on berries while people are swimming.  He thinks he's supposed to live with us or something.

I now put a couple empty trash bins to make a barrier to get onto our porch, so if he tries it again it'll make a sh*tload of noise that will trigger our dog alarm system.

• Like 1

Dumpsters... gotta lock that sh*t down or these bears will get in.  Matterhorn Bar have screws sticking up to stop the bears from walking on it, but evidently their pads on their feet are so tough they've still seen them walking on top of this with no problem. 

Their grease trap is chained to this concrete pillar that the bear was able actually break and multiple times they've found the grease traps down in the river.

115888327_10224099503899417_721375037947

The dumpsters have those lock bars so you can't lift the top upward, but then they just jump on the top of it until it breaks and falls inward. 

116708431_10224168369501014_641844438488

18 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Exactly what I do. Dump and then just throw some more dirt on top each time

Piecasso Pizza just down the road had one in the middle of the afternoon just hanging out at their dumpsters waiting for the kitchen staff to bring out more bags. 

It is truly incredible the population of these things.  This guy looks different than the one I've gotten pictures of here. 

There are far more bears than deer around here.  If you want to come to Vermont and see wildlife in Stowe, just post up at a dumpster for a few hours and you're sure to see a bear.

116432788_3649562161740536_7614040233013

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

something must be up with the PSU bufkit page b/c I have been having issues with bufget all week. I swear...there's always fooking problems somewhere...like WTF??? People can't fix stuff? The NWS products...more specifically the SPC page has been nothing but pure garbage the past few months. 

be careful some take offense to any criticism 

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Exactly what I do. Dump and then just throw some more dirt on top each time

A dozen or so years ago I built a 6-ft-square compost bin out of small (3"diam.) cedar logs, stacking rather than notching them to allow airflow.  Don't shovel dirt atop - wood ashes serve that purpose.  Bears are uncommon in my part of the woods; one probably wanders thru every so often but in 22 years only 2 have been noted, the 2nd bagged by a friend who asked to hunt on our woodlot.  Having never eaten bear meat I was hoping for a piece (one should never ask) but the carcass was handled poorly and I think it ended up feeding someone's dogs.  Being a meat hunter, I won't kill a bear (short of self-defense) unless I've eaten the meat and found it very good.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

A dozen or so years ago I built a 6-ft-square compost bin out of small (3"diam.) cedar logs, stacking rather than notching them to allow airflow.  Don't shovel dirt atop - wood ashes serve that purpose.  Bears are uncommon in my part of the woods; one probably wanders thru every so often but in 22 years only 2 have been noted, the 2nd bagged by a friend who asked to hunt on our woodlot.  Having never eaten bear meat I was hoping for a piece (one should never ask) but the carcass was handled poorly and I think it ended up feeding someone's dogs.  Being a meat hunter, I won't kill a bear (short of self-defense) unless I've eaten the meat and found it very good.

It actually is very good if butchered correctly.

43 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Took 4 months, but my office just had its first case. The building is closed until further notice. 

Haven’t been in since 3/11...have no idea when we’ll be back in office as no date has been floated. My guess is not until next year sometime. I worked remotely 3-4 days per week anyway before coronavirus so it wasn’t a drastic change. I do find no being in office for meetings every week has slowed our efficiency a little bit though...like operating at 80% or so compared to before the lockdown began. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Haven’t been in since 3/11...have no idea when we’ll be back in office as no date has been floated. My guess is not until next year sometime. I worked remotely 3-4 days per week anyway before coronavirus so it wasn’t a drastic change. I do find no being in office for meetings every week has slowed our efficiency a little bit though...like operating at 80% or so compared to before the lockdown began. 

I haven’t been in since 3/4 myself. Returned from CHI 3/13 and have been home ever since. All business trips canceled for the foreseeable future.  

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Piecasso Pizza just down the road had one in the middle of the afternoon just hanging out at their dumpsters waiting for the kitchen staff to bring out more bags. 

It is truly incredible the population of these things.  This guy looks different than the one I've gotten pictures of here. 

There are far more bears than deer around here.  If you want to come to Vermont and see wildlife in Stowe, just post up at a dumpster for a few hours and you're sure to see a bear.

116432788_3649562161740536_7614040233013

That’s awesome. It’s like seeing cats in NYC camping out near dumpsters, or rats. Just chilling until someone wastes food. 

Just got our notice about school for this year.  The district is offering a choice between completely remote learning or a hybrid model.  The hybrid model has kids going to half days of classes 2 days per week and remote learning the other 3 days.  Kids with last names that start with A-K will attend school in-person on Monday and Thursday while L-Z will attend school in-person on Tuesday and Friday.  It isn't perfect but I think they are doing the best they can with the situation they've been handed.

https://www.buusd.org/covid-19/reopening