Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Last night the district I teach in was going to have a Zoom meeting between the superintendent and her people and the school committee to go over the plans they have been working on since March. This was open to the public.  They got Zoom bombed in a pretty disgusting way so it was shut down.  Ugh.  

Awful.  They had one last week here and another one coming up.  They opened the zoom up to 1000 participants.  Luckily we didn't have any issues like you had.

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I was wondering why they couldn’t make it password secure but I think the Open Meeting laws prevent that or something.  

Could be, of course then you get what you saw, so what would be better.   Sometimes common sense needs to win out.  They also had the meeting on the local channel on cable.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I've read that great whites can partially thermoregulate, thus can remain active in colder waters than can most shark species. 

Not surprised, They have been spotted up here before but further south, Seal population has grown so they are after the food.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

I've read that great whites can partially thermoregulate, thus can remain active in colder waters than can most shark species. 

Sea surface temps are quite warm off the coast of Maine. I would assume there are tons of seals on all the rocky coast there.

Ed9ZPdUWAAAEZ-5.png

8 hours ago, mreaves said:

Take a day trip over to Willoughby.  It's my favorite lake.  Absolutely stunning.  Good hiking on the mountains on either side of the lake, Mt. Pisgah and Mt. Hor

We did today. Swam and kayaked. Absolutely  beautiful lake, looks like what I imagine a fjord would look like. Hiking up Pisgah tomorrow. What a gorgeous area. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Red Sox called. They need me to give them a few innings tonight. Pats called and asked if I could play LB for them. Decisions....decisions.

Yeah I saw the Red Sox were looking for anyone who could "throw the ball forward" to pitch for them.

33 minutes ago, MacChump said:

We did today. Swam and kayaked. Absolutely  beautiful lake, looks like what I imagine a fjord would look like. Hiking up Pisgah tomorrow. What a gorgeous area. 

It is the best lake in Vermont, hands down.  Not even close really.  Such a cool spot and topography.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, that might be better.  At least he won't give up any home runs.  Just walks.

Half of the Marlin's team has tested positive for COVID after more positive tests today, yikes.  This won't last long anyway.

They won't be playing the whole season, And i suspect basketball and hockey won't make it either nevermind the NFL.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:
Ha, that might be better.  At least he won't give up any home runs.  Just walks.
Half of the Marlin's team has tested positive for COVID after more positive tests today, yikes.  This won't last long anyway.

Are they spreading it in the locker room? No way that's all happening outside

It has to be locker room or just spending time together.  You don't get 15 players and a few coaches on top of that to just pick it up outside the game.

2 hours ago, MacChump said:

Like I said, it's my favorite lake in the state and it's the deepest.  I've snowmobiled on it in winter but it feels a bit creepy standing over 300' of water.  There is a nude beach there too.  I think it's on the south end.

Edit to add: It's a pretty cold lake too. I've gone swimming there on really hot days and you would swear the the glacier had just finished melting that morning.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

@weathafella remember our convo several months ago. Its bad

I had my annual follow-up with my Hematologist back in April.  Was a tele-health appointment.  I had to get my blood drawn at a local place beforehand.  I can understand the fear from patients whose immune systems are compromised while they undergo chemo/radiation therapies for not wanting to venture into these hospitals that are also treating Covid patients.  My father-in-law is currently doing chemo for a Glio that was diagnosed in March just as the shit was hitting the fan.  That was a surreal time for them, going to Yale-New Haven Hospital for initial diagnosis and surgery and follow-up at Lawrence-Memorial.

49 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I had my annual follow-up with my Hematologist back in April.  Was a tele-health appointment.  I had to get my blood drawn at a local place beforehand.  I can understand the fear from patients whose immune systems are compromised while they undergo chemo/radiation therapies for not wanting to venture into these hospitals that are also treating Covid patients.  My father-in-law is currently doing chemo for a Glio that was diagnosed in March just as the shit was hitting the fan.  That was a surreal time for them, going to Yale-New Haven Hospital for initial diagnosis and surgery and follow-up at Lawrence-Memorial.

Hope all is well Bob. I have an MRI scheduled for Aug 3rd and have no qualms about it.  Glad My Dr finally opened but they have 25% of the staff onsight.

1 minute ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Hockey has had 0 positive tests for a week. IF there is one sport that can make it is hockey. Those guys are just different.

Different breed, We will see when they get out on the ice with others, I think they are all going to be wearing face shields though so that's a plus.

Conspiracy theorists dabble in plausibilities while negating the probabilities - and that's what suspends their disbelief ... psycho babble feeds back, viola!  they're out to get us -   

But, the Gov of Mass is not helping when they put out products that look like this.  Yet, under the auspices of where are the 'low risk states' vs 'high risk states'  ?

This looks like a child did this - anything that's not us.  Almost smacks like we're all just a bunch of beef-witted plebeians that are too stupid to "get it" so just "tell 'em not to go anywhere"

I don't know if this is lazy or swamped ...probably the latter, but this really needs some sort of qualitative refinement .. It looks like a tongue-in-cheek prop behind "Weekend Update" on SNL.   This makes no logical sense - they're doing rolling percentages and some other explanatory method that doesn't really fit "reality" ... Massachusetts ( for example...) has a population of just over 6.8 million, and a caseload that brings to ~0.4% of the population, and Alaska has a caseload to pop ratio that comes to .01% ....why are they high risk and Mass low risk?    I'm sure there's something else to this but that's bad art/presentation for an increasingly skeptical and perturbed population that's about ready to suck on a f'n covid pipe out of frustration anyway!

map of states