Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

10 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Not sure why/how MA is seeing an increase in hospitals at surge capacity when cases are below 400.  Makes no sense.  Numbers today were not bad.  Only 14 deaths.

Just book keeping noise....

Note: Due to the recent change in federal hospital reporting requirements and definitions which went live July 22, ongoing data accuracy and integrity issues were experienced with today's report. DPH and the reporting hospitals are making every effort to mitigate these reporting challenges.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I really like it. Most of my connections on there I know their tastes , and they’re generally right on.

I don’t use it for the ratings.  I use it to see what I’ve had before.  There are new beers every week to try.  There aren’t too many styles that I don’t like, I’ve just navigated to the hoppy beers since I find them the easiest to enjoy over a period of time.

14 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That’s a young one. Usually the young males only have two or three points and by late July, a fully mature bull moose will have pretty big antlers as they stop growing and shed their velvet by late August/early Sept. 

Seems a bit odd to me - chest looks deeper than normal for last year's calf and late-July antlers too small for a 2018 birth, but they're all different in antler size and growth phenology.  I'm guessing it's class of 2019 and headed for being a really big bull.
In late May 30 years ago when we were canoeing/fishing on Spencer stream (about 5 miles north of Flagstaff Lake), we were trying to get back down to our campsite at dusk but two large bulls blocked the stream.  They each already had antlers about 3 feet wide.  One departed from the stream (probably with tummy full of eelgrass) and when the other wandered to within 10' of the left shore of the 80'-wide stream we had our chance - we thought.  As we approached, the bull decided he needed to exit right, passing about 10' from our bow as we frantically backwatered.  No raised neck hair (on the moose - plenty on us) so he wasn't attacking but likely would've plowed right thru us had we been in his path.  (I was paddling stern.  In the bow was a guest missionary who had never seen a moose before this trip.  Nearly got to give one a hug.)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It’s probably just a matter of time before we see a big spike again here in New England. This really sucks. Hopefully by the winter we will see a big breakthrough in treatments and a vaccine will begin to be distributed. 

Schools and college openings will prob be a big contributor.  I was impressed with the steps my son’s university was taking (twice weekly testing on site for starters) but he is staying home this fall. The public schools will be a shitshow   No funding and impossible plans

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Schools and college openings will prob be a big contributor.  I was impressed with the steps my son’s university was taking (twice weekly testing on site for starters) but he is staying home this fall. The public schools will be a shitshow   No funding and impossible plans

Was just talking about this with someone. There is just no ways schools can re-open in the fall. But I guess both sides of the argument are very valid...but I’m certainly not in the position to really have an opinion as I’m not a teacher, not going to school, and don’t have kids going to school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Was just talking about this with someone. There is just no ways schools can re-open in the fall. But I guess both sides of the argument are very valid...but I’m certainly not in the position to really have an opinion as I’m not a teacher, not going to school, and don’t have kids going to school.

I would prefer to be back in front of my students in person, even if only half are there at a time.  But I have not seen any plans that would really keep students, families or staff safe without tons of $$$ being poured in.  Oh well.  Off we go

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I would prefer to be back in front of my students in person, even if only half are there at a time.  But I have not seen any plans that would really keep students, families or staff safe without tons of $$$ being poured in.  Oh well.  Off we go

It's a "least harm" type of dilemma and I'm glad not to involved in making those decisions.  We've seen that a significant minority of students are poorly served (or in some cases not served at all) by distance teaching, and it's often extremely hard on teachers as well.  Finding the right balance between an inevitable spread of COVID-19, whether minor or huge, and tens of millions of kids getting a year (including last spring) of crappy education is incredibly difficult, since whatever decisions are made some people will be harmed by them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Unfortunately for the foreseeable future, there is no reason to think we won't have 1000+ deaths per day in this country 4 or 5 days per week with the exception of weekend/lag days.  And then who knows what impact that the attempted reopening of schools will have.  I mean, we can sort of guess that it will slow the decline at a minimum.

A poster in the Lakes/OV sub recently posted his experience with the virus.  Disappeared from the board for 2+ months, was hospitalized and barely survived and is still not fully recovered.  We know it is a serious virus for some people but stories like that from people on here hit harder.

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

It's a "least harm" type of dilemma and I'm glad not to involved in making those decisions.  We've seen that a significant minority of students are poorly served (or in some cases not served at all) by distance teaching, and it's often extremely hard on teachers as well.  Finding the right balance between an inevitable spread of COVID-19, whether minor or huge, and tens of millions of kids getting a year (including last spring) of crappy education is incredibly difficult, since whatever decisions are made some people will be harmed by them.

I can’t help but wonder if it would just make more sense to call it a day and start school March 1st in the same class rooms and same grades as we left off.  Just hold everyone back.  If you were in 5th grade in March 2020 guess what.  You will finish 5th grade in the spring of 2021.  

4 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

I can’t help but wonder if it would just make more sense to call it a day and start school March 1st in the same class rooms and same grades as we left off.  Just hold everyone back.  If you were in 5th grade in March 2020 guess what.  You will finish 5th grade in the spring of 2021.  

Let’s do that with all of 2020 not just the school year. Just wipe the slate clean and start over. In history books 2020 will be skipped over like some buildings skip having a 13th floor. 

Just now, mreaves said:

Let’s do that with all of 2020 not just the school year. Just wipe the slate clean and start over. In history books 2020 will be skipped over like some buildings skip having a 13th floor. 

That’s an awesome idea.  It’s been a terrible year in so many ways.  The best pet I ever had in my 53 years died on January 5th of a heart attack right in front of us and there was nothing we could do.  I’d give a lot to have her back.  Personally the rest of the year has sucked but that sucked the most.  I still cry about it. 

• Sad 4