• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

Today's date back in 2013 was the best severe storm T-Storm I've ever seen locally. 

This was all around my place and within easy walking distance.  Whiteout wind speeds with rain.  The Mansfield summit was something like 60G80 in a very short period of time... only a 5-min ob, between light wind speeds. 

I bet we saw a solid 50-60mph... maybe a higher gust peak (?).... that does more damage to interior (non-coastal) full-foliage forests than most people think during the summer season.  It doesn't have to be 80-100mph.

Sorry for the pics, but strong storms are hard to come by.

969015_10101621033273190_551081219_n.jpg

74908_10101621033432870_631363328_n.jpg?

942706_10101621033557620_306283143_n.jpg

1013963_10101621033707320_477961491_n.jp

75514_10101621033368000_1468582791_n.jpg

1005191_10101621033667400_439122869_n.jp

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone catch fred touchers meltdown on 98.5 this morning? Yikes 

My wife was mentioning it.  Sad.  Apparently wife is divorcing him and he doesn't want to.  Coming into to work drunk and he's mad.  Not a good combination.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone catch fred touchers meltdown on 98.5 this morning? Yikes 

What was the gist of it? Was he obviously drunk or just basically melted down crying?

He's kind of a mess anyway. But i can see how this whole Covid situation can get to anybody much less people who are a bit unstable to begin with.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

My wife was mentioning it.  Sad.  Apparently wife is divorcing him and he doesn't want to.  Coming into to work drunk and he's mad.  Not a good combination.

47 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

What was the gist of it? Was he obviously drunk or just basically melted down crying?

He's kind of a mess anyway. But i can see how this whole Covid situation can get to anybody much less people who are a bit unstable to begin with.

Yeah he announced live on air that his wife is leaving him. He sounded like a mess. He denied being drunk but he sure sounded like something was up.

This might sound ridiculous, but does anyone here use central air and window units?

Im beginning to think our unit is too small for our house, it’s throwing cool air, but runs a lot. The return vent is also in my parents in law downstairs so it’s constantly running and it’s pretty aggravating. 

Im wondering if I turn the temp up and then cool bedroom with window unit?

19 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Vermont has had only 2 COVID related deaths since May 15th.... and is the only state in the Nation with 0 deaths in the past 30 days.

The only two deaths in the past two months were on May 24th and June 15th.

During Governor Scott’s press conference today, I heard some other impressive numbers:  VT now has the fewest total COVID-19 cases in the country (HI recently lost ground to VT), as well as the lowest % positivity.  The % positivity is harder to check, but the total cases is mentioned in the Messenger article below:

https://www.samessenger.com/news/even-with-fewest-cases-in-country-vt-mask-mandate-still-possible/article_fc2dbdf8-cb76-11ea-8e09-6f652c493a32.html

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

During Governor Scott’s press conference today, I heard some other impressive numbers:  VT now has the fewest total COVID-19 cases in the country (HI recently lost ground to VT), as well as the lowest % positivity.  The % positivity is harder to check, but the total cases is mentioned in the Messenger article below:

https://www.samessenger.com/news/even-with-fewest-cases-in-country-vt-mask-mandate-still-possible/article_fc2dbdf8-cb76-11ea-8e09-6f652c493a32.html

I go by cases per million in population.  HI still lowest but VT is next.

49 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It’s pretty easy to keep numbers down in rural states like VT, NH, and ME. Population density seems to be driving this the most. 

And HI has a huge geography advantage.  But Montana and Wyoming aren’t doing that well.  So yes rural is easier but it still has to be managed.

Just now, dendrite said:

MT and WY aren’t doing well? They’re near the bottom of the lists in cases and cases/1M. And these are red states with a lot of people that dgiaf about masks, distancing, etc. 

Daily numbers are disturbing.  I’ve been following per million numbers and check 2-3 weeks ago vs today.  Because they are rural states there’s a limit to how bad it can get.  On the flip side, can hospitals handle the end result.   Not entirely sure why other than the surge happening in the south and west.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

It’s pretty easy to keep numbers down in rural states like VT, NH, and ME. Population density seems to be driving this the most. 

The cases per 100,000 people ratio though can also get out of hand pretty quickly with “relatively” small outbreaks.  One senior living center outbreak in VT could send it through the roof.

But yeah, rural areas are going to have a lot less “touch” points for transmission. 

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The cases per 100,000 people ratio though can also get out of hand pretty quickly with “relatively” small outbreaks.  One senior living center outbreak in VT could send it through the roof.

But yeah, rural areas are going to have a lot less “touch” points for transmission. 

Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this, but I don't factor senior centers and nursing homes much into the community spread.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Why?  A lot of younger care givers were sickened or died from those facilities.

Yeah I know. But with the way it spreads like wildfire through those buildings I feel like it's not representative of the community spread as a whole. The nursing home right across the woods from me had like 50+ cases, but Franklin has only had 68 total cases, Tilton 5, and Northfield under 5 (NH site just lists 1-4). I know this doesn't apply to all areas (especially higher density areas), but in these rural areas we're talking about I just don't find them very representative.

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I know. But with the way it spreads like wildfire through those buildings I feel like it's not representative of the community spread as a whole. The nursing home right across the woods from me had like 50+ cases, but Franklin has only had 68 total cases, Tilton 5, and Northfield under 5 (NH site just lists 1-4). I know this doesn't apply to all areas (especially higher density areas), but in these rural areas we're talking about I just don't find them very representative.

I see that point.  It’s just younger community folks work there which poses a risk to everyone else.

We did a beach day today in RI (Misquamicut)

We booker a space at The Andrea. Pricey, but $54 got us a prime parking spot, a great social distanced beach plot, and access to their bathrooms and restaurant   And best part, bar service to your spot. 

we booked again for two weeks from today.   I’m not a big beach person but this was great.  Holy hot though.