Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, MacChump said:

nice...i hadn't even really considered going up 93 until i looked up schilling and saw that there is no difference between 93 and 91...i remember you talking before about kelsen...i will check all of these out

I'd second any of those SNH stops as well. All close to where I live. Schilling is close to where your headed, so I figured I'd mention it. It's one of my favorite to stop at if I'm headed up to northern NH

3 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I'd second any of those SNH stops as well. All close to where I live. Schilling is close to where your headed, so I figured I'd mention it. It's one of my favorite to stop at if I'm headed up to northern NH

Their resilience line of IPAs looks great. It may be the one.  

4 hours ago, MacChump said:

what are some must not miss breweries near the the North East Kingdom area of Vermont?  I will almost certainly hit treehouse on the way up, and hill farmstead is at the top of my list, but wouldn't mind swinging through one more brewery if it has a curbside pickup thing going...was looking at river roost and red barn but figured some of you locals may have some suggestions...stowe and burlington are sort of out of the way and i can get alchemist and ten bends and lots of others down here so i probably won't head in that direction...

I love that you can get Ten Bends down there.  I know the guys that started that real well... one was an accountant at a hotel I worked at at the time and he always had the dream of brewing beer.  They started in his garage and the place they brew in Morrisville is still pretty small.  

Love good success stories like that where now you know the product down there.  

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Kettlehead in my backyard is right off exit 19 on 93 and you can scoot back on at exit 20 in tilton. Just throwin another one out there.

https://kettleheadbrewing.com

I think it is very good. There is a small brewery in Bristol who sells growlers and that's not bad either. A nice young man who grew up in our neighborhood now works at Schillings. It is an impressive operation. Coincidentally have gone to their Traverse City location many, many times when stayed there for work.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I love that you can get Ten Bends down there.  I know the guys that started that real well... one was an accountant at a hotel I worked at at the time and he always had the dream of brewing beer.  They started in his garage and the place they brew in Morrisville is still pretty small.  

I just started seeing it down here and got a 4-pack of their northern heights last week. It’s really good. Tell them thanks from PA next time you see them!

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Kettlehead in my backyard is right off exit 19 on 93 and you can scoot back on at exit 20 in tilton. Just throwin another one out there.

https://kettleheadbrewing.com

1 hour ago, Angus said:

I think it is very good. There is a small brewery in Bristol who sells growlers and that's not bad either. A nice young man who grew up in our neighborhood now works at Schillings. It is an impressive operation. Coincidentally have gone to their Traverse City location many, many times when stayed there for work.

Looks like an easy enough detour off 93. Thanks, on the list it goes lol. 

Just now, MacChump said:

I just started seeing it down here and got a 4-pack of their northern heights last week. It’s really good. Tell them thanks from PA next time you see them!

The popular one locally from Ten Bends is Cream Puff War... that seems to be taking off and they are dangerous... go down really easily for the alcohol content, ha.  If you see it I'd recommend it. 

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

1 hour ago, MacChump said:

Morrisville might be a good day trip, Lost Nation Brewery, Ten Bends and the LVRT to bike on. A couple of decent restaurants. The vibe is low key, so much different than Stowe. 

If you were in to gin and vodka, I’d tell you to make a trip to Montpelier for Caledonia Spirits. They make Barr Hill Gin and Vodka. Pretty good and they just built a new distillery. 
https://caledoniaspirits.com

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

Morrisville might be a good day trip, Lost Nation Brewery, Ten Bends and the LVRT to bike on. A couple of decent restaurants. The vibe is low key, so much different than Stowe. 

If you were in to gin and vodka, I’d tell you to make a trip to Montpelier for Caledonia Spirits. They make Barr Hill Gin and Vodka. Pretty good and they just built a new distillery. 
https://caledoniaspirits.com

Man reading this thread never realized how many craft places there are up there. Cool stuff. Rip one back for me

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, MacChump said:

yeah, our plan is to go to a cabin in east burke and just hike for a few days with as little contact with anyone as possible...any other time i would take a day and visit all of these breweries, but since i only want to do a curbside pickup type deal its probably not worth taking a day to drive down to burlington...thanks, though, those are on my next time list

If you go I-91 stop at Brattleboro Co-op, they have a beast selection of VT beers. 
Brick and Feather in Turners Falls is awesome.  Peoples Pint in Greenfield (I work at their brewery) but only open for pick up Wednesday to Saturday right now, probably same for brick and feather. 

11 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

If you go I-91 stop at Brattleboro Co-op, they have a beast selection of VT beers. 
Brick and Feather in Turners Falls is awesome.  Peoples Pint in Greenfield (I work at their brewery) but only open for pick up Wednesday to Saturday right now, probably same for brick and feather. 

Yeah I looked at brick and feather. Looks great but doesn’t fit my schedule, people’s pint doesn’t either, unfortunately. That co-op looks like a good alternative to a brewery. May look into that more. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, MacChump said:

Yeah I looked at brick and feather. Looks great but doesn’t fit my schedule, people’s pint doesn’t either, unfortunately. That co-op looks like a good alternative to a brewery. May look into that more. Thanks!

The co-op will have alchemist, burlington beer, upper pass, frost, lost nation and more! 

• Like 2

Scores of academics call for ‘human challenge’ trials of coronavirus vaccine

In a human challenge trial, a small number of people would get the vaccine and then be intentionally infected with the virus to see if the vaccine works. In a normal clinical trial, thousands of people get the vaccine and researchers wait to see if the vaccine protects them as they go about their daily lives.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/16/nation/scores-academics-call-human-challenge-trials-coronavirus-vaccine/

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Good hike up to Washington this morning. What a mob scene when I got down. Never seen so many cars at Pinkham. d98005101d691217bfc02a3adc545c1c.jpg8e0a40b45faa92ed941e4d546bea928c.jpg3643726a208196266010334ac093a167.jpg2e12ae65a134f8b6cd4f2cef99769a46.jpg7086041c33fa04fe97076d2de3e36a2a.jpg4bf484c417a0e5b0f97748cd1a166d78.jpg2e03333f30f91c80a95037ca02fa9140.jpg5d926218a7005ee8ebdc0a0cc5131572.jpg232ef0735ca4b350fba91a4a166711bd.jpg

Good for you on a hot day!

We’re looking at Underhill. Stowe, Montpellier.  Ideas?  Probably a year or 2 out.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That’s a healthy sized bear. 

I think he is 4 years old, he and I go back to when he was a cub.  
His mother is a giant!  I have not seen her or the yearlings this year and don’t want to. 

I have some pretty incredible footage of three generations of bears in our back wetland from May 2019.  I’ll get it up on YouTube sometime in the near future and post it.
My MA DEP friend lost her mind when she saw it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Good for you on a hot day!

We’re looking at Underhill. Stowe, Montpellier.  Ideas?  Probably a year or 2 out.

Montpelier would be a good fit I bet. Small, progressive a few good restaurants and a decent arts scene. 30-40 minutes to BTV on 89. I work there, well I guess we’ll see when we get back to the office. It’s a nice town. 

Was pretty sure one of our cats was a goner. Was taking a nap and heard a noise outside window. Sounded almost like a dove bird but louder and with a growl. Looked outside the window and there was a fox rolling in the grass. I had let all three cats out earlier, but brought them all in except one. Was certain the fox was eating the cat. I scared it off and went out to call the cat in. She sauntered around the corner like she wasn't scared, but she was less then 20' away from where the fox was. Almost seems like the fox was playing,.knowing cat was there. Oh well, got cat back inside. We've seen this fox on occasion, but this is the closest to the house we've seen it. Wife not impressed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

Montpelier would be a good fit I bet. Small, progressive a few good restaurants and a decent arts scene. 30-40 minutes to BTV on 89. I work there, well I guess we’ll see when we get back to the office. It’s a nice town. 

I think it’s a good snow place too given the location and elevation 

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think it’s a good snow place too given the location and elevation 

You want to be up at airport height or where mreaves is.  Montpelier itself is a bit of a low spot.  I think MPV is about 400-500ft higher.

Underhill is very snowy but it’s pretty sleepy.  I don’t get the idea you want that vibe where everything closes early and you can’t walk anywhere.  It’s really a bedroom community for Burlington... but it does get a lot of snow.  The CoCoRAHS site’s there are real snowy.

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I think he is 4 years old, he and I go back to when he was a cub.  
His mother is a giant!  I have not seen her or the yearlings this year and don’t want to. 

I have some pretty incredible footage of three generations of bears in our back wetland from May 2019.  I’ll get it up on YouTube sometime in the near future and post it.
My MA DEP friend lost her mind when she saw it. 

Looks about the size of the one we have around.  I still haven’t caught ours on camera and it bugs me, ha.  He takes off into the woods pretty fast.  Acts like a 2-4 year old adolescent male with a tough of spaz.  Really curious about everything but doesn’t like to be seen, likes hiding in the woods.