Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

20 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Is it off Mountain Road?  If your in the market, there are cheap properties to be had.  This is our Association which straddles Knights Hill Road.  The pool is in the bottom of the image and the beach is on the right, which has a marina for boats, canoes.

Capture.JPG.a564dd226b47cf743a9e9df8e931a231.JPG

Love that area, have you skied Shawnee?

Screenshot_20200717-081317_Maps.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Love that area, have you skied Shawnee?

Screenshot_20200717-081317_Maps.jpg

Literally grew up skiing that mountain.  There used to be a T-Bar across the street from the Main Lodge where they would have lessons.  I also took lessons Sunday River, long before the days of it being the behemoth it is now.  The South Ridge area had a lone T-Bar and that's where I'd go.  The last place I learned was at Evergreen Valley, which closed in the early 80s.  That photo location looks lite it's directly across from our beach area.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lava Rock said:
13 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:
Anyone know the snow climo for Raymond, ME/Sebago Lake area?

~75" avg. Three winter's ago 132"

The 10 seasons on your sig average 83", but I think 75 is closer to the long term average.  Your (hypothetical) neighbor at 250-300' lower elev would be near 70".

Western Maine (and adjacent NH) is the CAD capital of New England. 

Agreed, as I've learned from experience, which also has shown that "best CAD" is often paired with "worst upslope".
Bridgton area trivia (for anglers) - Maine's record bass, 11.5 lb, came out of Moose Pond.  I've fished (frequently to obsessively) since I was 9 and have never caught one even half that big.

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The 10 seasons on your sig average 83", but I think 75 is closer to the long term average.  Your (hypothetical) neighbor at 250-300' lower elev would be near 70".

Western Maine (and adjacent NH) is the CAD capital of New England. 

Agreed, as I've learned from experience, which also has shown that "best CAD" is often paired with "worst upslope".
Bridgton area trivia (for anglers) - Maine's record bass, 11.5 lb, came out of Moose Pond.  I've fished (frequently to obsessively) since I was 9 and have never caught one even half that big.

Yeah, it's a big fishing mecca.  My buddy, whose family has a place over in Lovell on Heald Pond, thinks that pond could hold a record Bass in it.  What little I fished in Moose, I never caught a Bass.  Sunfish, Perch, and Catfish.  Maybe a couple lbs tops.  

39 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Is it off Mountain Road?  If your in the market, there are cheap properties to be had.  This is our Association which straddles Knights Hill Road.  The pool is in the bottom of the image and the beach is on the right, which has a marina for boats, canoes.

Capture.JPG.a564dd226b47cf743a9e9df8e931a231.JPG

It’s off mountain rd but on the other side of the lake. Schrader Lane I think it’s called. It has an amazing view of pleasant mountain (the mountain next to Shawnee). 

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Literally grew up skiing that mountain.  There used to be a T-Bar across the street from the Main Lodge where they would have lessons.  I also took lessons Sunday River, long before the days of it being the behemoth it is now.  The South Ridge area had a lone T-Bar and that's where I'd go.  The last place I learned was at Evergreen Valley, which closed in the early 80s.  That photo location looks lite it's directly across from our beach area.

Hilarious story about evergreen valley...first time I took Megan up to Sunday River years ago, we were doing a budget trip and found this little place called “evergreen valley inn”....like 20-25 minutes south of Sunday River. We pull up and there’s six packs of beer and a gallon of milk sitting outside in the snow staying cold and about 25 snow mobiles parked on the side of the place. The guy at the desk asks if I’m paying cash or credit, I say cash, and he writes me a paper receipt that looked like it was from 1975. 

I asked him what was up with the snow mobiles and such and that’s when he gave me a mini history of the place and how it used to be the main ski hotel for a former ski resort called “Evergreen Valley”. It’s now used as a popular lodging spot for riders as there’s several trails that intersect around there...and they get the occasional Sunday River skier too as a budget option not too far from the resort like we were doing that trip. 

We drove by the old ski lodge once it was light out the next morning...you could see the old trails still faintly visible too in the growth of the trees on the mountain. Apparently it went defunct after the 1981-1982 winter. 

• Like 1

Oh and I forgot that when we got in the the room, all the decor looked straight out of like the early to mid 1970s....which now makes sense because the place opened in 1970 and hasn’t been updated since....lol

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s off mountain rd but on the other side of the lake. Schrader Lane I think it’s called. It has an amazing view of pleasant mountain (the mountain next to Shawnee). 

Hilarious story about evergreen valley...first time I took Megan up to Sunday River years ago, we were doing a budget trip and found this little place called “evergreen valley inn”....like 20-25 minutes south of Sunday River. We pull up and there’s six packs of beer and a gallon of milk sitting outside in the snow staying cold and about 25 snow mobiles parked on the side of the place. The guy at the desk asks if I’m paying cash or credit, I say cash, and he writes me a paper receipt that looked like it was from 1975. 

I asked him what was up with the snow mobiles and such and that’s when he gave me a mini history of the place and how it used to be the main ski hotel for a former ski resort called “Evergreen Valley”. It’s now used as a popular lodging spot for riders as there’s several trails that intersect around there...and they get the occasional Sunday River skier too as a budget option not too far from the resort like we were doing that trip. 

We drove by the old ski lodge once it was light out the next morning...you could see the old trails still faintly visible too in the growth of the trees on the mountain. Apparently it went defunct after the 1981-1982 winter. 

That's a great story. I was a youngin' when I skied Evergreen. 6-7 yrs old.  Warm winters, no snow-making, and bad financial deals doomed the place.

http://www.nelsap.org/me/evergreen.html

Pleasant Mountain is the highest summit along that monolith.  Some nice hikes I'd recommend there.  Nice views up on top where old fire tower is.

https://www.loonecholandtrust.org/places-we-protect/preserves/pleasant-mountain-preserve/

Looks like Schrader is technically in Denmark.  I believe I've told this story before but my family has long roots in Denmark.  They used to own a lot of the land around the south end of Moose Pond.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oh and I forgot that when we got in the the room, all the decor looked straight out of like the early to mid 1970s....which now makes sense because the place opened in 1970 and hasn’t been updated since....lol

If you were ever to peek in the old lodge, you'd see the menu board still reads from when it closed.  cool yet eerie at the same time

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I was originally hopeful that the spike down south/out west would be more manageable because of more medical knowledge and the lower median case age, but sadly that seems to have been too optimistic.

Really hope they can get a handle on this in the next month. 77,000 new cases yesterday. Hospitalizations up and deaths rising. Testing delays in hot spots. Not good at all.

Brother in GA says a lot of people there are still refusing to wear masks. 

Is a post like this ok?

I am so grateful CT continues to do so excellent. 

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Interesting the biggest bass of my life came out of Moosup Pond down here 8.75 lbs a whopping 34 inches long

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hammerz_nailz said:

not a bass.jpg

I once caught a 33 inch Pickeral 4.5 lbs, won the fishing contest at work , 75 bucks, have only caught 1 Northern Pike in my life and lost it at the boat at Pachaug Pond, huge fish. Pretty sure I know my fish, have been fishing for 55 years plus.

1 minute ago, crossbowftw3 said:

DCAPES 1200-1300 as well, strong shear profiles, it's gonna look last July 19th all over again 

maybe LCL's are too high but I was shocked they didn't mention risk for a strong tornado very early on in the game...perhaps just a small window too b/c everything will become linear quickly but the ingredients are there that should a discrete cell take off it could go nuts. Thinking we see a 4'' hail report today 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

maybe LCL's are too high but I was shocked they didn't mention risk for a strong tornado very early on in the game...perhaps just a small window too b/c everything will become linear quickly but the ingredients are there that should a discrete cell take off it could go nuts. Thinking we see a 4'' hail report today 

Yeah, last year's event had that 15 hatched tornado/45 hail but here its just a 15 hail (for early stage storms) and a large 5% tornado; thinking early storms could indeed have that chance for a strong tornado or two before things grow upscale, likely within 2-3 hours of what I think should be rather rapid CI