Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Now with COVID, the real estate agents around here are talking like it's similar to post-9/11 with an ever increasing demand of folks looking to leave the city or get a place away from the city.  The next couple years of real estate will be interesting given the economic repercussions of COVID, but countered with a demand to leave the city.

Similar down this way. My wife works for a real estate company and out of state buyers are purchasing stuff sight unseen, cash, within hours of some homes being listed. Ever since I've been here its normally a really slow market with most stuff being listed for many months and even on and off for years.

Just today someone from NY called looking for a rental during the school year to send their kid to one of the schools here, budget was 10k month for the rental.

10 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Similar down this way. My wife works for a real estate company and out of state buyers are purchasing stuff sight unseen, cash, within hours of some homes being listed. Ever since I've been here its normally a really slow market with most stuff being listed for many months and even on and off for years.

Just today someone from NY called looking for a rental during the school year to send their kid to one of the schools here, budget was 10k month for the rental.

Yep. My uncle is a mortgage rep In Westport ct and he had a client who was trying to purchase a $2.8M  house cash, but got outbid by multiple other cash offers. Lots of people fleeing the city at the moment.

37 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Same in Western Massachusetts.  Rents from Northampton to Greenfield or Brattleboro are moving steadily up, which is terrible news for all of the poor and under employed folks who have lived here for a long time. 
Wehave a small two bedroom house on 3 acres and it’s gone up about 8k on Zillow in the past two months. I would rather not have my towns assessed value of my house move up, I pay enough property tax as it is.

46 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Yep. My uncle is a mortgage rep In Westport ct and he had a client who was trying to purchase a $2.8M  house cash, but got outbid by multiple other cash offers. Lots of people fleeing the city at the moment.

Mortgage brokers are cleaning up. A guy I know made 320k last month.

30 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Same in Western Massachusetts.  Rents from Northampton to Greenfield or Brattleboro are moving steadily up, which is terrible news for all of the poor and under employed folks who have lived here for a long time. 
Wehave a small two bedroom house on 3 acres and it’s gone up about 8k on Zillow in the past two months. I would rather not have my towns assessed value of my house move up, I pay enough property tax as it is.

My house went up 23k on Zillow since April, yikes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I think we’re up about 10% this year alone. Most of that in the past 3-4 months. Flight to exurbs is real at the moment. 

• Like 1

I posted back when all this stuff started about real-estate prices going up in rural places and most said that they would                                                                                                                             

remain the same.

• Like 1

The Zillow estimate of my house has gone up over 30k since we bought the house last year. And that value doesn’t take into account the landscaping we’ve done (the yard was all dirt and weeds) and the updates inside the house. I’d bet if we got an appraisal today it’s be worth 50-60k more than we paid for it.

Plus living on the edge of a multiple thousand acre reserve/swamp for privacy doesn’t hurt either.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Work is nuts for us.  Developers/clients are building houses/townhomes like crazy.

Same around here... town homes seem to be the big desire.  A few have popped up locally in the past year after a dearth of development.  Now we just got a notice for a selectboard hearing for a gravel/sand pit area that's oddly hidden pretty well near here in town along the river and Rec Path that they are looking to turn into 15 new townhouse units.

4 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

That's how it was with our place in Randolph. It turned into a bidding war almost overnight. We nearly lost it. We were up against some "tech CEO" from NYC who wanted the place and was willing to pay us to walk away... it's crazy out there.

30 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Can any NH folks speak to what’s open/happening in the North Conway areas currently? As well as sites like lower falls along the kanc, is that open?

We have the chance to go for a long weekend at the end of August and are wondering if it would be worth it to make the trek up.

It's all open. The vibe in northern NH is very chill. Everything in Coos County is wide open and they barely ever wear masks... (not saying that's a good thing).

In Grafton and Carroll counties, they have mask mandates in most places but most restaurants are open. Call ahead, as hours are very weird and don't match what you find on Google. Been burned several times already in Conway area. They suddenly close at strange times on strange days.

Just now, PhineasC said:

It's all open. The vibe in northern NH is very chill. Everything in Coos County is wide open and they barely ever wear masks... (not saying that's a good thing).

In Grafton and Carroll counties, they have mask mandates in most places but most restaurants are open. Call ahead, as hours are very weird and don't match what you find on Google. Been burned several times already in Conway area. They suddenly close at strange times on strange days.

Maybe they run out of provisions?  That has happened at places near me. 

40 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Can any NH folks speak to what’s open/happening in the North Conway areas currently? As well as sites like lower falls along the kanc, is that open?

We have the chance to go for a long weekend at the end of August and are wondering if it would be worth it to make the trek up.

I’d go.

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Maybe they run out of provisions?  That has happened at places near me. 

That definitely seems to be a factor. The restaurants we have been in have all had shortages of various things. Smaller menus too. I am enjoying the vibe myself. Small crowds and menus makes it feel like you are at an upscale place. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Anyone know the snow climo for Raymond, ME/Sebago Lake area?

It’s pretty damned good there. Prob 75-90” average (from southeast to northwest) with excellent retention....that retention is the big thing. Once you get near Sebago and north or northwest, the retention is ridiculous. By the time you are up toward Brigdton, it never melts. Western Maine (and adjacent NH) is the CAD capital of New England. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
2 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:
Anyone know the snow climo for Raymond, ME/Sebago Lake area?

~75" avg. Three winter's ago 132"

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s pretty damned good there. Prob 75-90” average (from southeast to northwest) with excellent retention....that retention is the big thing. Once you get near Sebago and north or northwest, the retention is ridiculous. By the time you are up toward Brigdton, it never melts. Western Maine (and adjacent NH) is the CAD capital of New England. 

Thanks guys. Seems like a good Winni alternative down the road. An all season getaway.  Close to Portland too, which is a plus. I like NH, but there’s something about ME I just really like. 

1 hour ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Thanks guys. Seems like a good Winni alternative down the road. An all season getaway.  Close to Portland too, which is a plus. I like NH, but there’s something about ME I just really like. 

I absolutely love the Sebago/Bridgton area. We used to go camping there when we were first married. Couple decent golf courses, Sebago State Park and some decent restaurants. Great area. 

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Saco River Valley play a roll in that cold retention.

9 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Bridgton is a great spot.  We've had a family vacation home up there since 1980.  It's close enough to not have to travel very long yet far enough away that crowds are kept down.  Naples is a huge congregating spot since you have Long Lake, Brandy Pond and Sebago Lake all interconnected for boaters.  Bridgton has a few large ponds lakes as well.  We're near Moose Pond.  Your 25 min to North Conway and 45 min to Portland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Bridgton is a great spot.  We've had a family vacation home up there since 1980.  It's close enough to not have to travel very long yet far enough away that crowds are kept down.  Naples is a huge congregating spot since you have Long Lake, Brandy Pond and Sebago Lake all interconnected for boaters.  Bridgton has a few large ponds lakes as well.  We're near Moose Pond.  Your 25 min to North Conway and 45 min to Portland.

Yeah we’ve become addicted to that area ever since we vacationed on Moose Pond back about 4-5 years ago. We’ve returned to the same house every summer. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah we’ve become addicted to that area ever since we vacationed on Moose Pond back about 4-5 years ago. We’ve returned to the same house every summer. 

Is it off Mountain Road?  If your in the market, there are cheap properties to be had.  This is our Association which straddles Knights Hill Road.  The pool is in the bottom of the image and the beach is on the right, which has a marina for boats, canoes.

Capture.JPG.a564dd226b47cf743a9e9df8e931a231.JPG