Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

23 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Interesting thing is this pandemic cured me of wanting to eat out.  Simpler life which hopefully continues on the other side.  So you’re saying consider GC?

You don’t want to be as far north as MPM was because that takes you out of quick striking distance to Northampton etc.

Cummington, Goshen, Conway, Chesterfield are all rural but a little closer to civilization. 
Lots of houses at elevation with good snow.

33 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Interesting thing is this pandemic cured me of wanting to eat out.  Simpler life which hopefully continues on the other side.  So you’re saying consider GC?

I love the East slope around 1500 ft. Some quality homes there or you could have Pete build you one.

11 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

You don’t want to be as far north as MPM was because that takes you out of quick striking distance to Northampton etc.

Cummington, Goshen, Conway, Chesterfield are all rural but a little closer to civilization. 
Lots of houses at elevation with good snow.

20 minutes is nothing 

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Nah I’m a few $$ below o suspect.  Not poor but by no means rich.

You can sell that house for a million and build one for 500k and be in snow heaven plus excellent summers. You have become alot like me. Eat at home, walks with the dogs, simple stuff. Put a pool in and you won't need to leave the house.  Happy retirement it really is like being a teenager all over, minus the hotties lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

We’re actually looking in Maine as well.  Maine is less tax friendly vs MA/PA but better vs VT.

ME is great. Much better snow climo and retention. Brutal springs though. You need to become a “spring bird” and leave every April and return Memorial Day. Lol

"The results of the first tests on human volunteers were published Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine. The trials showed that two shots of the vaccine resulted in antibodies in the bloodstream equivalent to those in COVID-19 survivors."

The only problem with that is the current number being used for antibody immunity is 6 weeks. That's quite an astronomical amount of shots that might be needed...

15 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

ME is great. Much better snow climo and retention. Brutal springs though. You need to become a “spring bird” and leave every April and return Memorial Day. Lol

ME is also rather underrated for severe wx...especially northern ME. Unfortunately too many trees and not enough people but they can get some nasty looking supercells. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Shore Slop said:

"The results of the first tests on human volunteers were published Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine. The trials showed that two shots of the vaccine resulted in antibodies in the bloodstream equivalent to those in COVID-19 survivors."

The only problem with that is the current number being used for antibody immunity is 6 weeks. That's quite an astronomical amount of shots that might be needed...

Well the point is....you get everyone vaccinated a few times, and keep vaccinating until the thing burns itself out. 

• Weenie 1

15 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

BTV valley seems attractive to me as a retirement destination.  Lots of culture, places to eat, bad snow retention/climo (good when you're old), but massive amounts of snow are only a short drive away with the best skiing in the NE.  Then in the spring you miss all the mank and days of misery mist, then in the summer you torch which is great for spending days out on Champlain on your manitou pontoon. 

1 minute ago, Whineminster said:

I thought ME gets the least amount of t-storms of anywhere in the US?

My guess is some of the west coast states (WA/OR...perhaps CA and ID) average less. (After this post I'll do a quick google check...I'm sure there is a map out there lol). ME does average around 2 tornadoes per year though...my guess is that could be slightly higher but they can get some mean looking supercells in the deep summer months...far enough south to tap into the warmer/humid air and just far enough north to usually get better jet support or steeper lapse rates

48 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Back to looking towards Stowe,VT.  We can sell, buy for straight cash and pocket the difference. Triple my snow in the process...

Look back through my "land purchase" thread. There are some good write-ups from people about the best spots to buy to maximize snow and minimize cost. That's how I ended up in Randolph, a place I had never even heard of before.

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

ME is also rather underrated for severe wx...especially northern ME. Unfortunately too many trees and not enough people but they can get some nasty looking supercells. 

Cannot have too many trees.  ;)

Back on topic - The Eagle Lake public lands, 22,000 acres just west of the town of Eagle Lake, has been blowdown central in recent decades.  The tract shared (equally) a 600-acre blowdown with the township to the east in September 1986, a strip 4 miles long and up to a half mile wide with damage consistent with straight-line winds 90-100.  Don't know if the folks at CAR did a ground check.  Then 14-15 years ago a storm left a 15-mile string of blowdowns across 3 townships centered on the state tract, with most in patches 1-5 acres but with one 65-acre wipeout on the state land just south of Eagle Lake itself.  The in 2013 (IIRC) an EF-0 tor in the town became straight-line wind and flattened about 200 acres along the north shore of Eagle Lake.  We picked up about 3,000 cords of blowdown in both the first and last event, perhaps half that from the 65-acre patch.

• Like 1