Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Testing has increased, but the percentage of people testing positive has risen even more dramatically. A month ago, fewer than 5% of tests came up positive on a daily average. Over the past week, the daily average exceeded 19%.

Advertisement

Don't forgot hospitalized and deaths is going up now. About 56 hospitals in Florida are full so that's not good. 

Posted this yesterday in the NNE thread, just wanted to put this here as well.  This Facebook post was yesterday, there were 5 positive Covid tests from just this one clinic in town here.  My wife is friends with the Doctor at the clinic and they had 26 more positive cases just today. 31 in 2 days in a small VT community seems like a big outbreak. 

20200712_214436.thumb.jpg.fccd6af28ae242d0ba58eb572c969740.jpg

Fellow wx freaks. Be thankful you don't live in Floridah. Virus is totally in control, the narrative coming from the politians doesn't  fit what's actually occurring. 

I moved trying to distance myself. Nearest neighbor is over a thousand feet away. Surrounded self by 10 acres. Room to spread out, eventually a self sustainable off the grid farm. Two barns, 2500 sq/ft. of house. A ton of work. LOL

Into full summer here Temp 95F daily, dews mid upper 70's. Soon I'll get my instruments up and working just in time for hurricane season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ROOSTA said:

Fellow wx freaks. Be thankful you don't live in Floridah. Virus is totally in control, the narrative coming from the politians doesn't  fit what's actually occurring. 

I moved trying to distance myself. Nearest neighbor is over a thousand feet away. Surrounded self by 10 acres. Room to spread out, eventually a self sustainable off the grid farm. Two barns, 2500 sq/ft. of house. A ton of work. LOL

Into full summer here Temp 95F daily, dews mid upper 70's. Soon I'll get my instruments up and working just in time for hurricane season.

Roosta - not sure where you are, but not “out of control” where I am in S FL. A majority (Not all)  of the case increases have been in the immigrant farm worker communities around and just south of Lake Okeechobee, Palm Beach County to Dade.

• Weenie 1

On 7/12/2020 at 9:15 AM, Ginx snewx said:

Good advice from Brian, definitely set it lower and run constantly. 58 degree air discharge is great. You will stay ahead if you do as Brian suggested. My floor unit has been stellar this year, house hasn’t been above 71. One bedroom window unit and one floor unit have kept the house at 70/71. We haven’t even used the lower floor wall unit in AC only dehumidifier. Despite earlier suppositions the floor unit isn’t loud and it’s efficient. My electric bill with the pool pump and AC only went up 33 dollars from June 8th to July 8th and I used 25% less electricity than last year. Last year I ran two floor units and 3 windows. Using fans on the ceiling and one floor unit I finally figured out how to cool my house at 1750 sq ft the most efficient. Helps being home all the time to figure it out. I even shut the floor unit off at night and just run one window unit and fans.

Spoke to the install guy and told him we can't get room temp less than 5F below outside air temp. This seems unacceptable, but he says it's not and his AC evap froze up yesterday at his house do to the high dews/temp. It was only 80F. Can't imagine our unit doing squat when it's 90F+/70. I think the issue is the high cathedral ceiling/loft area that obviously traps a lot of heat. The indoor unit is mounted ~9ft. Using the IR gun, the top of the unit was 77F while room temp at couch level was 75F. I had remote setting on 64F. There's no way our room will cool to that level, so the compressor will be constantly running right? The bedroom unit was set for 68F on remote and I woke up to the same temp on our room thermostat, so it seems clear to me the new unit is likely undersized and with such a large cubic vol of hot air, the new pump will not be able to do much for temp. Humidity OTOH was lowered to 60%, so that was good and achieves a more comfortable level, but for $4K, I'm pretty disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Spoke to the install guy and told him we can't get room temp less than 5F below outside air temp. This seems unacceptable, but he says it's not and his AC evap froze up yesterday at his house do to the high dews/temp. It was only 80F. Can't imagine our unit doing squat when it's 90F+/70. I think the issue is the high cathedral ceiling/loft area that obviously traps a lot of heat. The indoor unit is mounted ~9ft. Using the IR gun, the top of the unit was 77F while room temp at couch level was 75F. I had remote setting on 64F. There's no way our room will cool to that level, so the compressor will be constantly running right? The bedroom unit was set for 68F on remote and I woke up to the same temp on our room thermostat, so it seems clear to me the new unit is likely undersized and with such a large cubic vol of hot air, the new pump will not be able to do much for temp. Humidity OTOH was lowered to 60%, so that was good and achieves a more comfortable level, but for $4K, I'm pretty disappointed.

Just spent 4 days at my sisters, she had two units and the house was freezing all 4 days I was there, she runs them like the guys above are saying, her house is 1680 sf and she also has high ceilings and they're mounted high up. I asked her the size and she wasn't sure.

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

Just spent 4 days at my sisters, she had two units and the house was freezing all 4 days I was there, she runs them like the guys above are saying, her house is 1680 sf and she also has high ceilings and they're mounted high up. I asked her the size and she wasn't sure.

Here's a pic of the install. cat seems comfortable:D

kevin123.jpg

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

kevin123.jpg

Run a floor upright fan from that balcony.  I assume you have no ceiling fans. You have a stratified environment.  Air needs to mix and move more. Could be undersized too but I would move air from that ceiling to create thermals . I would also invest in shades and curtains to block those windows out during the day. You are fighting a lot of things there.

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Run a floor upright fan from that balcony.  I assume you have no ceiling fans. You have a stratified environment.  Air needs to mix and move more. Could be undersized too but I would move air from that ceiling to create thermals . I would also invest in shades and curtains to block those windows out during the day. You are fighting a lot of things there.

Good advice. We hung some temp curtains yesterday. We do have a large ceiling fan, not pictured. Will turn on. I assume we want to have it spin such that air is pushing down or will that only push more hotter heat down, making AC more difficult to cool?

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Good advice. We hung some temp curtains yesterday. We do have a large ceiling fan, not pictured. Will turn on. I assume we want to have it spin such that air is pushing down or will that only push more hotter heat down, making AC more difficult to cool?

She does run fans all the time, over time I guess she figured out where to put them for the best airflow. She has one ceiling fan she runs all the time.

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

If those windows south anywhere near south, you must roast in there during the day?  That unit looks a bit small for that space but I also like Ginxy’s advice.  I’d have a fan going in the loft.  My parents have a loft/open area like that and they run a ceiling fan 24/7 to clear out the eaves.  

That unit looks like it’s fighting larger space and a lot of heating from those windows.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

If those windows south anywhere near south, you must roast in there during the day?  That unit looks a bit small for that space but I also like Ginxy’s advice.  I’d have a fan going in the loft.  My parents have a loft/open area like that and they run a ceiling fan 24/7 to clear out the eaves.  

That unit looks like it’s fighting larger space and a lot of heating from those windows.

We do face S/SW. Great in the Winter. Thankfully in Summer the sun goes over the roof, so we get no sun through front of windows, but we also have a "hot roof", so temps get very warm up near ceiling fan. Late in day, we get couple hrs of sun through the wall the unit is on which is why we put some curtains up yesterday.

I read online that if ceiling is >8ft, you should add ~30% more BTU. Our guy clearly didn't take that into acct.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

kevin123.jpg

The heat pumps (times 3) at our church look like yours though about 1/4 wider, befitting a room 65' by 45' with cathedral ceiling.

Off topic, but is that a Hawken reproduction hanging below the balcony railing?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The heat pumps (times 3) at our church look like yours though about 1/4 wider, befitting a room 65' by 45' with cathedral ceiling.

Off topic, but is that a Hawken reproduction hanging below the balcony railing?

I forget. Was my Dads. Single action. Has emblem with three presidents on the stock. Early 70's rifle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I forget. Was my Dads. Single action. Has emblem with three presidents on the stock. Early 70's rifle.

Nice. I run my high ceiling fan backwards so it draws the cool air up which displaces the hot air without driving it down into the living space. Once you get air moving you find your AC is more efficient. Definitely shade those windows even ambient IR produces heat and windows definitely absorb heat. Run your IR on the window frame mid day.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

kevin123.jpg

This windows definitely aren’t helping. We have a huge bay window that we had to put some shades on to help with cooling. We also have huge vaulted ceilings in the kitchen and living area.

Central air does a pretty good job keeping it cool without running 24/7, but we also have a big ceiling fan in that area that circulates the air really well.

On 7/12/2020 at 10:13 AM, dryslot said:

One thing is certain, All this heat and rain has been good for the garden, Its early for my squash as I've picked a few summer ones the last two weeks.

Lurker here...and I was hoping these pics would be posted again this year so I could remember which person was doing this setup.  I saw them before and wondered more about the setup.  Not hydroponic?  Yields look amazing for the space used.  Care to share info via forum or PM?  Around me there are a lot more backyard gardens this year than previous years.  My take on #GrowFoodNotLawns.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CPJcET3cRDqNKadg7

8 minutes ago, TwoDogNight said:

Lurker here...and I was hoping these pics would be posted again this year so I could remember which person was doing this setup.  I saw them before and wondered more about the setup.  Not hydroponic?  Yields look amazing for the space used.  Care to share info via forum or PM?  Around me there are a lot more backyard gardens this year than previous years.  My take on #GrowFoodNotLawns.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CPJcET3cRDqNKadg7

The album is empty 

3 minutes ago, TwoDogNight said:

Lurker here...and I was hoping these pics would be posted again this year so I could remember which person was doing this setup.  I saw them before and wondered more about the setup.  Not hydroponic?  Yields look amazing for the space used.  Care to share info via forum or PM?  Around me there are a lot more backyard gardens this year than previous years.

You can PM me i can give you more details.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

When is that from?  That sure as hell ain't no Bobcat or Lynx.   I probably know a dozen people in W MA and S VT that swear they have seen a Catamount.

I think it was recent but not sure when, Actually, It was posted 9 hrs ago.

Just now, dryslot said:

I think it was recent but not sure when.

No question that is a lion.  I know a retired DCR officer from Greenfield who told me the state knew of at least 2 different Catamounts in the Charlemont/Savoy area of W MA but he said the state nor feds would ever admit to it.  That was probably 8 or 9 years ago I had that conversation. 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

No question that is a lion.  I know a retired DCR officer from Greenfield who told me the state knew of at least 2 different Catamounts in the Charlemont/Savoy area of W MA but he said the state nor feds would ever admit to it.  That was probably 8 or 9 years ago I had that conversation. 

Supposedly their extinct, I guess it could be also an Eastern Cougar which is the same, But that's no bobcat.