Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I was doing pretty well with Python last summer...then the fall came and I got super swamped. I forget what I was using...was either Jupyter or Conda. But I was having fun with all the mapping packages/data packages. mpl_toolkits, cartopy (this was BRUTAL to get to work...absolutely BRUTAL...took me weeks and dozens and dozens of hours), matplotlib, numpy, etc. 

I really need to get back into it...only issue is time to devote. Like I need to devote at least several hours a day to it so I can not only understand it but grasp it. Do you know of any oneline python courses that are strictly designed for meteorology? I would certainly pay for those. 

Yup! That sounds like you already have it installed. You can install/configure certain libraries and modules using conda (windows terminal) and pip (anaconda terminal) for Jupyter Notebook.

I faced similar issues when I first started scripting. Basemap took a lot of time to install/configure... Overall, it took me ~1 year of constant scripting to understand Python pretty well. I started with MATLAB, but decided to move to Python since the script is compatible w/Linux (plus all of the utilities!).

I'm sure you can find a Python class as it relates to meteorology, however, I learned Python best by writing script that I was interested in. My first script I created was 1) obtain GHCN-D snowfall observations then 2) identifying suspicious observations using a spatial outlier algorithm. The intent was to use it on observations that were provided by members of this forum so I can label weenies w/statistical support :devilsmiley:

• Thanks 1

Went to dinner last night for our anniversary. Soon as we approached the door, there was sign that said AC in use, close door behind you. Normally wouldn't think twice but it got me a bit anxious. Thankfully it was early and only one table was seated ahead of us. Waitress wore face shield so that was appreciated. Case number is very low in the town we were in (Paris), but would feel better eating outside.

Side note, we got our new mini ductless heat pump installed. I think the guy undersized the unit. We have 750sqft with 20' cathedral ceilings and he installed 12K btu Daikin. Online load calculators say we should be 15-18K. We ran unit for three hrs yesterday afternoon and we couldn't get temp in room down one degree from 78F. Humidity was lower though and it felt more comfortable.
In comparison, our master bed which is 210sqft has 5K btu and works great.

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We have an 8K window unit in our family room and it keeps the whole downstairs level (1200ish square feet) comfortable.  We have small 5k units in each of our upstairs bedrooms. 

I’ve got just under 1200 sf on one level and have a 6000 btu unit in our bedroom window.  I shut all our windows and shades when the sun starts hitting the house. We can keep the house at 77-78 even on the hottest days.  We have insulated blackout shades on most of the windows so that helps. Of course we look like a drug house with shades pulled all day but it keeps it comfortable. 

12 minutes ago, kdxken said:

State reports 14 new confirmed coronavirus deaths, 167 new cases Saturday

Massachusetts

R naught has been creeping up. That’s not good.  
Good pool and brewery day today.  We hit up Timberyard again. Great smoked pork shoulder.  
Also, all 4 of us had the antibodies test done a few days ago, negative.  

25 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

R naught has been creeping up. That’s not good.  
Good pool and brewery day today.  We hit up Timberyard again. Great smoked pork shoulder.  
Also, all 4 of us had the antibodies test done a few days ago, negative.  

Sounds like a good day! I thought the r number was fairly stable?

23 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Went to dinner last night for our anniversary. Soon as we approached the door, there was sign that said AC in use, close door behind you. Normally wouldn't think twice but it got me a bit anxious. Thankfully it was early and only one table was seated ahead of us. Waitress wore face shield so that was appreciated. Case number is very low in the town we were in (Paris), but would feel better eating outside.

Side note, we got our new mini ductless heat pump installed. I think the guy undersized the unit. We have 750sqft with 20' cathedral ceilings and he installed 12K btu Daikin. Online load calculators say we should be 15-18K. We ran unit for three hrs yesterday afternoon and we couldn't get temp in room down one degree from 78F. Humidity was lower though and it felt more comfortable.
In comparison, our master bed which is 210sqft has 5K btu and works great.

It could be undersized but try leaving the unit on all day. Maybe turn it on early in the morning. If it was off and you turned it on in the afternoon during peak heat it probably won't be able to cool it quickly. The way they operate is they run nonstop but will run at a very low speed. On low speed my units will only use 150-200 watts. 

How much sun exposure do you have? That has a huge effect on your cooling load. I have a 12k unit in a similar size space that I just leave on and it has no issue keeping up. 

• Like 1

It could be undersized but try leaving the unit on all day. Maybe turn it on early in the morning. If it was off and you turned it on in the afternoon during peak heat it probably won't be able to cool it quickly. The way they operate is they run nonstop but will run at a very low speed. On low speed my units will only use 150-200 watts. 
How much sun exposure do you have? That has a huge effect on your cooling load. I have a 12k unit in a similar size space that I just leave on and it has no issue keeping up. 
Lots of windows with southwest exposure, but at this time of year the sun goes over the house. Only late in day do we get some sun through west side windows. Put it on yesterday at 3pm. Inside temp was 80f. By 9pm, room was only down to 76f. Left it on all night. Room temp is 71; same as outside. Meanwhile ouu master bed unit got temp down to 64f. I took the IR gun to both and they are both blowing out 58f air.

10 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
33 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Lots of windows with southwest exposure, but at this time of year the sun goes over the house. Only late in day do we get some sun through west side windows. Put it on yesterday at 3pm. Inside temp was 80f. By 9pm, room was only down to 76f. Left it on all night. Room temp is 71; same as outside. Meanwhile ouu master bed unit got temp down to 64f. I took the IR gun to both and they are both blowing out 58f air.

Leave it on all day. These units are designed to run at low speeds nonstop and will ramp up the fans and compressor as needed. The efficiencies of them at low speed are incredible. 

Keep in mind if you are using the remote the temperature setting is based off the return air sensor on the top of the unit. You may need to set it much lower on the remote as the air 8-10 ft up is significantly warmer. 

What Fujitsu model did you get? 

Leave it on all day. These units are designed to run at low speeds nonstop and will ramp up the fans and compressor as needed. The efficiencies of them at low speed are incredible. 
Keep in mind if you are using the remote the temperature setting is based off the return air sensor on the top of the unit. You may need to set it much lower on the remote as the air 8-10 ft up is significantly warmer. 
Model FTXS12LVJU. Are you saying run it in auto mode? I've been running it on cool mode, medium fan speed. Remote temp setting is at 64, low as it will go.

17 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
34 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Model FTXS12LVJU. Are you saying run it in auto mode? I've been running it on cool mode, medium fan speed. Remote temp setting is at 64, low as it will go.

I found mine run best at the medium or high fan speed. I never use the auto fan setting. Try setting the fan to high and I would set the remote to 66-68. That works best for most wall units in cooling mode. If it's too noisy set it to Medium. 

At full output your unit is rated at 23 seer but when it's running at low speeds it is probably running at 40+ seer. A typical central air unit is 10-16 seer for comparison.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:
2 hours ago, BrianW said:

Good advice from Brian, definitely set it lower and run constantly. 58 degree air discharge is great. You will stay ahead if you do as Brian suggested. My floor unit has been stellar this year, house hasn’t been above 71. One bedroom window unit and one floor unit have kept the house at 70/71. We haven’t even used the lower floor wall unit in AC only dehumidifier. Despite earlier suppositions the floor unit isn’t loud and it’s efficient. My electric bill with the pool pump and AC only went up 33 dollars from June 8th to July 8th and I used 25% less electricity than last year. Last year I ran two floor units and 3 windows. Using fans on the ceiling and one floor unit I finally figured out how to cool my house at 1750 sq ft the most efficient. Helps being home all the time to figure it out. I even shut the floor unit off at night and just run one window unit and fans.

One thing is certain, All this heat and rain has been good for the garden, Its early for my squash as I've picked a few summer ones the last two weeks.

Cauliflower

Garden1.jpg

Garden2.jpg

Jalapeno, Green and Red Peppers

Garden3.jpg

Cherry tomatoes

Garden4.jpg

Beef Steaks

Garden5.jpg

Cukes

Garden6.jpg

Butternut Squash

Garden7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

10 minutes ago, brentrich said:

Even on weekends since it's usually slow so that's BAD BAD SIGN and disney world just reopened yesterday. Not good. 

Testing has increased, but the percentage of people testing positive has risen even more dramatically. A month ago, fewer than 5% of tests came up positive on a daily average. Over the past week, the daily average exceeded 19%.

Advertisement