Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

11 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Watching storms hammer MD and miss NH would be torture beyond belief. I like to think I haven't angered the cosmic snow gods to that degree. 

2009-10!  Four KUs and MBY featured 3 total whiffs plus the ugliest 10" snowstorm I ever hope to see, followed by 1.1" of 33-34F RA while NYC had a 21" snowicane.  Probably would be worse for one who has just moved from MA to NNE.

June had the widest range of temps I've seen in that month, from 27 on the 1st to 90 on the 20th.  That 27 was equaled at the Farmington co-op and tied 6/9/1980 for their coldest June morning in their 127-year POR.  Ironically, just 3 days earlier they set a new record high minimum for the Month of May.  With the wide extremes AN and BN, June finished a bit over +1 for temps.  Also, June 1-27 had 0.61" and 28-30 brought 3.58"; the 4.19" total was also about 1.1 BN.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

2009-10!  Four KUs and MBY featured 3 total whiffs plus the ugliest 10" snowstorm I ever hope to see, followed by 1.1" of 33-34F RA while NYC had a 21" snowicane.  Probably would be worse for one who has just moved from MA to NNE.

Based on the numbers from that nearby CoCoRaHS site in Randolph, NH though, even a 2009-2010 type of winter would still be far better overall up in that part of NNH than anywhere in the Mid Atlantic outside of perhaps a few select mountain areas.  From the data I saw, didn’t that Randolph site still have over 200” of snow in 2009-2010? If even record snowfall seasons for most Mid Atlantic sites are below 100”, it seems like it would take an even more incredibly anomalous/localized pattern than 2009-2010 to really make it remotely disappointing up in the mountains of NNH.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Based on the numbers from that nearby CoCoRaHS site in Randolph, NH though, even a 2009-2010 type of winter would still be far better overall up in that part of NNH than anywhere in the Mid Atlantic outside of perhaps a few select mountain areas.  From the data I saw, didn’t that Randolph site still have over 200” of snow in 2009-2010? If even record snowfall seasons for most Mid Atlantic sites are below 100”, it seems like it would take an even more incredibly anomalous/localized pattern than 2009-2010 to really make it remotely disappointing up in the mountains of NNH.

True.  The Whites and Greens (and BTV) did a lot better than CAR's 71", their 4th lowest on record and 7" less than BWI.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

True.  The Whites and Greens (and BTV) did a lot better than CAR's 71", their 4th lowest on record and 7" less than BWI.

Randolph got destroyed in the retro-storm in late February....they stayed mostly (or all) snow looking at the totals. Probably a lot of upslope assist there on east winds to isothermally cool the column.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Randolph got destroyed in the retro-storm in late February....they stayed mostly (or all) snow looking at the totals. Probably a lot of upslope assist there on east winds to isothermally cool the column.

We got crushed in one of those... like a couple feet of heavy dense QPF rich snow.   It snuck up too, all the sudden it was like 1.5-2.5” QPF on models.

Mansfield depth went from 60” to 100” towards the end of February, so something big happened in there.

I do remember one morning showing up to the mountain and finding 14” at 5:30am since the 4pm clearing the day before in the base area and being like, huh that produced.  Think we added another foot during the day.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We got crushed in one of those... like a couple feet of heavy dense QPF rich snow.   It snuck up too, all the sudden it was like 1.5-2.5” QPF on models.

Mansfield depth went from 60” to 100” towards the end of February, so something big happened in there.

I do remember one morning showing up to the mountain and finding 14” at 5:30am since the 4pm clearing the day before in the base area and being like, huh that produced.  Think we added another foot during the day.

No sneaky qpf here for the late Feb event in 2010 - models were showing 3-4" several days prior to the first flakes/stuff, the only question was P-type.  Verified at 3.81" here for the total event, 2.67" in 10.7" mush and 1.14" in cold RA.  Maybe 5F away from duplicating what occurred on the same dates 41 years before.  (Capping the winter's frustration.)