• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
July 2020 Observations

yotaman

Getting close to finishing July with under an inch of rain at the farm in Franklin County. 0.94." Beans are exceptionally dry. Western half of the farm, away from rain gauge, got a heavy storm over the weekend while eastern half was dry. Comparatively better at the house in Wake county but still a very dry month. Issue with relying on pop up showers all month with minimal forcing for rainfall. Maybe the next few days can help on that front

Big, Big storms this afternoon. May finally jackpot on rainfall. Been pouring for 2.5 hours. Also had pea-dime sized hail and some gusty winds I'd say were in the neighborhood of 50mph with the initial storm. Some great CTG lighting as well and it's been thundering since 3 pm. Great storm day, finally! Well over 1 inch, will check when the downpour ends but coming down hard still. 

EDIT storms have moved on but not before dumping 1.62” of much needed rain. Bout to go take a walk and check out the roaring creek down the hill 

Norfolk, VA with the daily double - record high of 102 and record hi-min of 82. The all-time hottest July record of +3.5 above normal will be shattered with a departure of +5  or more this month. Fifth 100+ day this month including four in a row from the 19th-22nd. I would say this will be a July to remember but I fear it's just a preview of what will be normal in 10-20 years.  

Really strange evening on the storm front:

Storm blew up right over my house around 8:30.  Radar returns showed bright yellows over me, and yet not a drop fell from the skies.  Then, as I was falling asleep around 10:30, I was rattled back awake by loud cracks of thunder, as another storm had developed over me.  This one dropped a little over a tenth of inch.  Finally, I was awakened around 1:00 AM, with very heavy rain, lightning, and thunder for another 0.68 inch of rain.

Typically, the storm activity diminishes as the evening wears on, but last night it seemed to do the exact opposite and get stronger as the hours passed.  Weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calculus1 said:

Storm blew up right over my house around 8:30.  Radar returns showed bright yellows over me, and yet not a drop fell from the skies.  Then, as I was falling asleep around 10:30, I was rattled back awake by loud cracks of thunder, as another storm had developed over me.  This one dropped a little over a tenth of inch.  Finally, I was awakened around 1:00 AM, with very heavy rain, lightning, and thunder for another 0.68 inch of rain.

Typically, the storm activity diminishes as the evening wears on, but last night it seemed to do the exact opposite and get stronger as the hours passed.  Weird.

Very impressive convective day yesterday and it continued through the night as you mentioned. We had thunder from 3pm to when I woke up at 3am. Storms consistently were developing in what appeared to be rain cooled air and end up training. We got nearly 2” of rain but I believe places just to the north of my may have gotten double that. Also, some very strong storms two. We had the VERY rare (first time in my life) occurrence of multiple hail events in the same day. First storm hit about 3:30-4 and it produced up to some size hail then again around 6:00 another cell blew up and we got pea sized hail. All the while it never stopped raining and dropped into the seemingly stable 70’s

• Like 1

Lots of thunder this morning but once again, no rain. Only good news is that our streak of 90+ degree days is over. High today was 87. Rain chances went from 80% this morning to 20% this afternoon. Chances have dropped the rest of this week too.

23 hours ago, yotaman said:

Mine have been in the mid 70's.

is that considered impressive for down here? I was just checking on the obs back where i used to live (long island) and even out where i was in the deep suburbs, they had a low of 80

which never happened pre-2016 but has happened quite frequently (lows upper 70s-80) since the super nino of 2015-2016 due to the SSTs that are really way above normal up there

https://pwsweather.com/station/khwv?date=2020-07-28&timespan=day

8 hours ago, calculus1 said:

The wonder of outflow boundaries 

43 minutes ago, Fantom X said:

is that considered impressive for down here? I was just checking on the obs back where i used to live (long island) and even out where i was in the deep suburbs, they had a low of 80

which never happened pre-2016 but has happened quite frequently (lows upper 70s-80) since the super nino of 2015-2016 due to the SSTs that are really way above normal up there

https://pwsweather.com/station/khwv?date=2020-07-28&timespan=day

Actually that is pretty normal for us this time of the year. Impressive would be either low above 80 or below 70.

Our wet period advertised all week has fizzled to 20-40% chances on NWS as most of the energy impulses look to stay in Virginia. Funny how all these advertised big rain events have quite literally dried up and we get our most widespread rain event of the summer with a modest 30% rain chance the other day... A humid 81 at the moment praying for some clouds this afternoon otherwise we will be roasting in this humidity