Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

It would be hard to overstate the amount of lightning I’m seeing to my south from takoma park.  Saw some incredible gigantic Zeus bolts. 

It almost looked like on the radar that two different cells crashed into one another going different directions, I can imagine that leads to quite a bit of electricity build up.  Jealous of all the lightning. :)

8 hours ago, Herb@MAWS said:

Nice rains on east side of Columbia. Looks like the northern end of the DC storm built to the NE. 

That dumped 0.5” in 30mins last night. Thunder and lightning show from the DC storms and then the ones that developed over us was just wild. Haven’t seen anything like that in a long time.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Only 0.12" here overnight.

Looks like that shortwave moving in from the west, as the front sinks south, should get some steadier rain/convection going this morning.

.12” here too, with a meager .32” for these last two days that I had high hopes for, and still less than an inch for July. I guess this is payback for getting the goods in June.

40 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

.12” here too, with a meager .32” for these last two days that I had high hopes for, and still less than an inch for July. I guess this is payback for getting the goods in June.

That's how we roll with precip in the summer. It tends to even out, but going dry this time of year for weeks sucks. Happened here last July, even before the more widespread drought started.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I know it doesn't seem to matter much here either. Happens every year at this time. High sun and torchy temps.

yeah it's rather common at some point from mid-summer to early fall or so. seems moreso lately tho. 

11 minutes ago, Ian said:

yeah it's rather common at some point from mid-summer to early fall or so. seems moreso lately tho. 

Ever been to Texas in summer? It would surprise you how brown their grass is. You'd think nature would adapt to where it lives. Relevant to us, not sure what it means that we are getting brown grass during the summers..

20 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

Ever been to Texas in summer? It would surprise you how brown their grass is. You'd think nature would adapt to where it lives. Relevant to us, not sure what it means that we are getting brown grass during the summers..

Yeah I lived there for a few years as a teen. The subtropical ridge extensions tend to set up shop over that region so it often is cloudless during peak heat season. a good recipe to fry grass etc. Our climate is generally wet year round in comparison, but late summer/early fall in particular can be quite dry. It's not unusual historically but the frequency/intensity does seem to be on the increase. 

1 hour ago, Subtropics said:

Grass going dormant (brown) during the summer is the adaption to the climate in that region.  

In many instances the grass we grow in our yards is non-native so it is not adapted to our local climate and needs more watering and nutrients to survive.  This is compounded by newer, mid 90s on, developments completely stripping top soil and compacting subsoil.  The top soil is replaced but basically you have 6 inches of soil and greatly reduced water holding capacity.  It is striking to see water running out of lawns after a rainfall even during dry periods because the there is no water storage capacity.  

There is research being completed by UMBC researchers  on how to create better soil health in residential and urban areas to reduce runoff and increase the health of lawns and recreational green spaces.

Sorry this is banter delete if needed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

After another round of legit heat and humidity Sunday - Tuesday, the h5 pattern for the end of the month into early August looks like it will bring generally tolerable temps and humidity levels, and maybe some chances for rain.

Wonder if relative to averages  we will have seen the worse of the heat after  early next week.  Have to ponder the possibilities for later August and September. The driest part of the year waits ahead for us, but on the other hand  you have to respect the the odds of tropical moisture coming our way, whether directly or indirectly.   

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic