Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs 2020

George BM

6 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

82/72 for my morning run in Takoma Park.  In this weather I can notch about 4 miles feeling decent and then my body is like nahhhhhhh. 

Ditto. It was the awesome running weather for my run this morning. /s :frostymelt:

IAD at 83/72 now after a surprisingly cool low of 75F.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ian said:

climo is already pretty warm compared to historical values. we'll get new normals once this year is done... I think they start to trickle out in spring or so been a while. I am curious if DC will get 90s for a portion of days. I could see it not. 

That's really exciting and I didn't know that. Will new climo norms be 1991-2020? So all values we are recording now through the rest of this year would count in the new climo stats?

(Current is 1981-2010) right?

6 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

That's really exciting and I didn't know that. Will new climo norms be 1991-2020? So all values we are recording now through the rest of this year would count in the new climo stats?

Yes, I believe this is correct.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Subtropics said:

I like to track the new daily averages to include 2020. For what it’s worth, from July 1-19 the 1981-2020 average high is 89.2. A lot more goes into it than simple averaging but there are eight individual days with rounded average high temps over 90.

There’s even one day with an average high of 92 but frustratingly, another with an average of 87. It will be close to see if we crack 90 on any days in the official climo.

• Thanks 1

Just now, astarck said:

I like to track the new daily averages to include  2020. For what it’s worth, from July 1-19 the 1981-2020 average high is 89.2. A lot more goes into it than simple averaging but there are eight individual days with rounded average high temps over 90.

There’s even one day with an average high of 92 but frustratingly, another with an average of 87. It will be close to see if we crack 90 on any days.l in the official climo.

Wow really nice insight! Super cool. Thanks Astarck. I'm not as familiar with the 90s temps so perhaps that was still a cooler period than we've seen in the past 15 years.

10 hours ago, Ian said:

climo is already pretty warm compared to historical values. we'll get new normals once this year is done... I think they start to trickle out in spring or so been a while. I am curious if DC will get 90s for a portion of days. I could see it not. 

since this july will be factored it, it might push it over the top.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Perhaps more movement on the lows? I feel like our low temps have been rising faster than even the highs.

Higher nighttime lows is consistent with what we'd expected with higher CO2 levels and UHI.  Our atmosphere is more moist than what was typically seen in the late 19th / early 20th centuries.  High dews = higher overnight lows.

23 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

I think they use a Gaussian smoother to calculate the 30 year averages.  Otherwise the daily averages would be jaggedy.  

they do smooth it but the process isn't entirely transparent from what I've been able to gather 

22 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The models were suggesting cloud debris yesterday.  They weren’t wrong there.

I only looked at max temps and heat index... heat mode. ;) 

It did warm fast late yesterday and the air mass is legit but it'd be impressive given it's still rather cloudy here. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic