SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Discobs 2020

George BM

14 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro Sunday ...

PhotoPictureResizer_200717_213335647_crop_1152x2368.jpg

For my immediate area the Euro has consistently been 5 - 10 degrees too warm for the past week with afternoon highs.  The GFS and GEM have been more accurate.

24 minutes ago, CAPE said:

91 here.

I have been suspecting my DP has been reading a bit high... 70 right now. Not totally out of whack, but most other obs are in the mid 60s currently.

Could be corn sweat.  My DP went from upper 60s to low 70s this afternoon.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

GFS has plenty of dews in the 50s next weekend. Some 40s even. We shall see about that.

Ggem and euro suddenly look way less impressive for rainfall next week. Gfs still pretty wet. That’s never a fair fight. Going to get pretty toasty IMBY after the next 3-4 days if we fail on rain.

• Sad 1

Just now, SnowtoRain said:

Could be corn sweat.  My DP went from upper 60s to low 70s this afternoon.

Yeah I am surrounded by corn fields, and closer in- a bunch of trees.

Also, my experience with capacitive based RH sensors is they are subject to drift over time, and tend to read higher until they saturate. I am pretty sure that is the sensor type that is used in most of these stations. I used to replace the RH sensor on our station at work every couple years. My station is pretty new though, so not thinking thats a problem.

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Ggem and euro suddenly look way less impressive for rainfall next week. Gfs still pretty wet. That’s never a fair fight. Going to get pretty toasty IMBY after the next 3-4 days if we fail on rain.

Despite nearly 4" of rain last week, I am back to watering lol. Doesn't take long to go dry this time of year. Looks like some chances for scattered stuff Tues- Thurs, and maybe something more widespread heading into next weekend, but thats just looking at the GFS.

eta- 12km NAM has some convection late Mon into early Tues. Looks like some upper level perturbations moving west to east in the flow aid in initiating it. Looks scattered though.

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Despite nearly 4" of rain last week, I am back to watering lol. Doesn't take long to go dry this time of year. Looks like some chances for scattered stuff Tues- Thurs, and maybe something more widespread heading into next weekend, but thats just looking at the GFS.

I’m at about 1.5” for July. Things still mostly green but things will get crispy quick with 100F heat and limited rain.

18 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m at about 1.5” for July. Things still mostly green but things will get crispy quick with 100F heat and limited rain.

I am at 3.9", but it all fell between the 6th and the 12th. Was bone dry the 2 weeks prior, and the last 5+ days.

Amazing how dry the soil is already, outside of where I have watered the past few days.

• Like 2

From Mount Holly AFD on rain potential mid week-

Wednesday-Thursday... Most signs point to this being the most unsettled stretch of the extended period. Guidance is in good agreement that the stalled front will lift back north into the region for midweek. This will bring humid air surging back into any areas that dried out on Tuesday. Cloud cover in the vicinity of the boundary should keep a lid on temperatures for these days, but highs still look to approach 90 each day, which combined with the humidity will yield heat index values in the upper 90s to near 100. The bigger story for this period will probably end up being convection. Multiple convectively enhanced shortwaves will propagate along the stalled frontal boundary Wednesday and Thursday and serve as triggers for what could be multiple rounds of convection. Both low level and deep layer flow are modest, so am not overly concerned about severe weather outside of the usual gusty wind potential in stronger storm cores. However, setups like this often produce at least locally heavy rainfall, and suspect hydro will be an issue on one or both of these days. PWATs climb to near 2" on Wednesday and may be even higher Thursday at least to the south. This combined with very deep warm cloud layers argues for efficient rainfall production, and wind profiles are supportive of potential for training storms.

2 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Heat advisories up for the southern portions of the region. well up into PA too But nothing for most of us. 

This is that thing where LWX dots every i and crosses every t for heat products... 104 heat index sorry y'all. I get it but it is funny to compare to svr as noted earlier in this thread. Watch they'll fill it in overnight or something. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic