Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs 2020

George BM

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’ve managed .14” in the past week and a half. I hate doing it, but I’m going to start watering the back yard this evening,

We all go through it this time of year. Feast or famine. Learn to love that sprinkler. It is your very good friend. :D

• Haha 2

Holy crap!! 8,000+ J/kg SBCAPE over northern central Oklahoma right now with temps near 100 w/77-80 degree dews. Crazy.

7 PM OBS at select cities in Oklahoma:

TUL Tulsa: 96/78

KOKC Oklahoma City: 95/75

KOKM Okmulgee: 96/78

Honorable mention:

KBKM Blackwell: 100/75. This station reported a temp of 100/79 around 4:30 PM.

Almost every PWS on WU in Tulsa has temps in the upper 90s with dews in the lower 80s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

Holy crap!! 8,000+ J/kg SBCAPE over northern central Oklahoma right now with temps near 100 w/77-80 degree dews. Crazy.

7 PM OBS at select cities in Oklahoma:

TUL Tulsa: 96/78

KOKC Oklahoma City: 95/75

KOKM Okmulgee: 96/78

Honorable mention:

KBKM Blackwell: 100/75. This station reported a temp of 100/79 around 4:30 PM.

Almost every PWS on WU in Tulsa has temps in the upper 90s with dews in the lower 80s.

That would equate to a heat index of 119 degrees. I dont think I want to be out working in that.

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

You’re always optimistic. Last year it was mid October.

We are in the period of summer now where 'cold' fronts don't change sensible weather much. Typically as we get into September we can see a more legit front or 2 come through that actually provides more noticeable short term relief.

Tomorrow looks pretty interesting, although models are kind of all over the place on the timing of the front, and overall not too impressive with storm coverage. Pretty decent shortwave energy will be rotating through, but the location and degree of convection probably comes down to timing. SPC does have much of the region in a marginal risk for tomorrow.

gfs_z500_vort_neus_6.png

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ian said:

Here are the averages of 90-degree streaks of 14 days or more. Not imagined this one isn't all that intense so far... did start earlier than many. 

image.thumb.png.8da14d65f2eb703cca746fa8e38c321b.png

Good stuff....but it feels like using 90 degrees as the point to determine a heat wave seems odd around DC when our average high temp around now is 89-90. Looking at the graph, maybe at least 93 or 95 for three consecutive days is a better indicator of a true heat wave?

24 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

Good stuff....but it feels like using 90 degrees as the point to determine a heat wave seems odd around DC when our average high temp around now is 89-90. Looking at the graph, maybe at least 93 or 95 for three consecutive days is a better indicator of a true heat wave?

I would imagine there is at least some regional research on this but have not done any myself really. I do know of some other indexes like the wet bulb global temp which apparently have their uses. https://www.weather.gov/tsa/wbgt

I do agree it is imperfect but I am not sure it's a hill to die on. As long as we're comparing against like values... people will prob always gravitate toward 90 or 95 vs 92 for instance. 95 is prob too high here at least at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

We are in the period of summer now where 'cold' fronts don't change sensible weather much. Typically as we get into September we can see a more legit front or 2 come through that actually provides more noticeable short term relief.

I was just teasing you. Though I don’t like big heat, I’m not ready for fall weather just yet, but I’d sure appreciate some rain.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I was just teasing you. Though I don’t like big heat, I’m not ready for fall weather just yet, but I’d sure appreciate some rain.

I actually ran the sprinkler a bit this morning lol.

I spread a dry fungus/disease control product on the lawn yesterday, and wanted to get it working into the soil. Does most of the work at the root level.

• Like 2

West of 95 is dry!!!!! I haven’t seen it this dry and dusty in a while! Some of you are screaming yay I got 0.32 in my back yard.....big deal? The majority of the area is really dry. Over the next week or so doesn’t look to be much different. Boring, hot, dry weather continues.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic