• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs 2020

George BM

It is down here in central TX, JakkelWx. I am no warminista, but I am having the time of my life in the triple digit heat enjoying luggin 50 lb sacks of gravel all over our ranch south of Austin! Today we get to enjoy 102 degrees, while on Monday it will top out at a toasty 106. Ditto for Monday and Tuesday. Ridge is somewhere between the 99th percentile and outright record territory, at near 600 dcm. We will get to enjoy these kinds of summertime heat anticyclones many times during this high sun season!

I never in my wildest dreams, ever imagined I would ever have this much fun down here in the Deep South (or in the Deep Southwest) smack in the middle of July!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Picked up 0.28” last night. Very welcome and surprising. 

I was up at 12:30 this morning.  It was pouring, with minor thunder and maybe a couple brief lightning flashes.  During the evening there was a fairly sold line of rain (lots of yellows and reds) moving east out from the Potomac Highlands.  The line gradually began diminishing and breaking up, but there was one small red cell that survived and just happened to pass over Columbia.

Location, location, location!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jebman said:

It is down here in central TX, JakkelWx. I am no warminista, but I am having the time of my life in the triple digit heat enjoying luggin 50 lb sacks of gravel all over our ranch south of Austin! Today we get to enjoy 102 degrees, while on Monday it will top out at a toasty 106. Ditto for Monday and Tuesday. Ridge is somewhere between the 99th percentile and outright record territory, at near 600 dcm. We will get to enjoy these kinds of summertime heat anticyclones many times during this high sun season!

I never in my wildest dreams, ever imagined I would ever have this much fun down here in the Deep South (or in the Deep Southwest) smack in the middle of July!

You must be in good shape though. How did you end up on a ranch in Texas?

28 minutes ago, Herb@MAWS said:

I was up at 12:30 this morning.  It was pouring, with minor thunder and maybe a couple brief lightning flashes.  During the evening there was a fairly sold line of rain (lots of yellows and reds) moving east out from the Potomac Highlands.  The line gradually began diminishing and breaking up, but there was one small red cell that survived and just happened to pass over Columbia.

Location, location, location!!!

You got what moved over me at 11/11:30. Got 1.21" out of just one storm as it passed over. Occasional lightning. I am in SW Frederick Co.

• Like 1

It's summer. Methinks it is going to continue to be hot and humid for a while. This is what has generally been advertised on the means.

Random op runs showing 100+ heat are more believable than when they advertise brutal cold in winter, but still mostly end up wrong.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

You must be in good shape though. How did you end up on a ranch in Texas?

Mom and her late husband have a few acres down here. I have kind of fallen in love with this place. I love carrying big cedar poles, 80 lb sacks of quickcrete, 40 lb sacks of mulch and 50 lb sacks of gravel in the Texas heat, with the sun nice and high in that Texas sky! This isnt hell at all, this is PURE HEAVEN!

I think I like being a ranch hand, lol. It kind of grew on me!

Forecasters say this is a historic heat dome, they say it will go on for weeks. Its gonna hit the Mid Atlantic too. Some forecasters down here say we might exceed record heat for Austin. You know what the all time record for Austin is? Its about 112 degrees, lol. Thats AMBIENT temp, not heat index.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Mom and her late husband have a few acres down here. I have kind of fallen in love with this place. I love carrying big cedar poles, 80 lb sacks of quickcrete, 40 lb sacks of mulch and 50 lb sacks of gravel in the Texas heat, with the sun nice and high in that Texas sky! This isnt hell at all, this is PURE HEAVEN!

I think I like being a ranch hand, lol. It kind of grew on me!

Forecasters say this is a historic heat dome, they say it will go on for weeks. Its gonna hit the Mid Atlantic too. Some forecasters down here say we might exceed record heat for Austin. You know what the all time record for Austin is? Its about 112 degrees, lol. Thats AMBIENT temp, not heat index.

That’s pretty cool.  I like to do some manual labor in short stints but I don’t think I’m built for the heat, I’d melt out there trying to carry stuff around when it’s 99/75.

• Like 1

No suspense about day #16 today.  Tomorrow looks like a lock.

Monday is trending ok.  Might be touchy, but the models have been low lately and they are spitting out upper 80s.

Tuesday is the big day.  The NAM has 850s mid-day around 13C.  That wouldn't do it.  The GFS is a bit higher and the Euro actually warms to 18C by 00z.  So, if the NAM is right the streak ends, if the Euro is right it rolls on.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic