Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs 2020

George BM

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The 15:05 ob has 90°. The raw ob has a temp of 32° which would definitely mean it hit 90 then, right? The other obs were 31.

some 32s earlier so prob not

the suspense is killing me 

edit: does look to be clearing both outside and on sat. we got this. 

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

I think we have to wait a bit longer to confirm.  It appears that wasn't a Special METAR as I had previously thought.

yeah the site has been wonky lately throwing random obs onto the main page. 

27 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

There are now 10 different 5 minute obs that have been at least 89.  If we don't squeak out a 90, we riot.

starting to understand what waterboarding feels like

image.png.be18d999d65b77b13d76a82b4779df2b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Is Tony Pann a climate skeptic?  He is weirdly hostile to this streak on Twitter.

Not sure but I'd guess perhaps. He used to have a radio show with Berk waaay back. Similar ideologies overall I think. A lot of these folks are just lazy (intellectually or otherwise). BWI may have run warm last year.. so now it's king of heat. Also it was pretty hard to prove BWI was running warm last year. Not sure anyone ever really did. Meanwhile two of the days that missed at BWI were 88s and one was 89. DCA broke the other way this time on a few days.. it tends to run warmer than BWI/IAD esp before late season. 

43 minutes ago, Ian said:

Not sure but I'd guess perhaps. He used to have a radio show with Berk waaay back. Similar ideologies overall I think. A lot of these folks are just lazy (intellectually or otherwise). BWI may have run warm last year.. so now it's king of heat. Also it was pretty hard to prove BWI was running warm last year. Not sure anyone ever really did. Meanwhile two of the days that missed at BWI were 88s and one was 89. DCA broke the other way this time on a few days.. it tends to run warmer than BWI/IAD esp before late season. 

Tony and I think Chris Martz were going around about BWI having some rogue sidewalk that was setting everything off too warm. I'm not sure if it was really or not but it seemed a bit silly. It was almost a daily thing when other sites were within a degree or two of BWI.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Tony and I think Chris Martz were going around about BWI having some rogue sidewalk that was setting everything off too warm. I'm not sure if it was really or not but it seemed a bit silly. It was almost a daily thing when other sites were within a degree or two of BWI.

I think they have a point with BWI. It did get a new area near the ASOS paved just over a year ago.

Berk definitely is a “skeptic”. I think Pann used to be at least but seems more open minded. Tom Tasselmeyer is the one that’s disappointed me. Check his “Likes” on Twitter. Yikes.

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I think they have a point with BWI. It did get a new area near the ASOS paved just over a year ago.

Berk definitely is a “skeptic”. I think Pann used to be at least but seems more open minded. Tom Tasselmeyer is the one that’s disappointed me. Check his “Likes” on Twitter. Yikes.

I was going to write about it but in my cursory look there was no smoking gun. There was also some precedent. My rough analysis didn't show much correlation to the disturbed area as it came to wind direction etc. Granted it could just warm the ambient temperature somewhat but LWX also tested it and didn't find a problem with the equipment.  It did seem weird yes. I have not followed this year much. 

for the period of 90+ at DCA thru yday... stations look like they're running pretty close compared to themselves at least.

IAD 5th warmest
DCA 6th warmest
BWI 9th warmest (4th warmest at current spot)

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

DCA is ridiculous when it comes to snowfall, but BWI has had its share of problems measuring it, as well.

I agree on the new area that's paved near the temperature station. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic