Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Banter 2020

George BM

4 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

A couple people on here may know I love beer and that I recently am doing a 30 day no alcohol challenge along with food diet, I just want to quickly tell my story in case anyone else wants help...

So since I’ve been doing this 30 day no drinking alcohol and diet thing I’ve been doing (day 20 by the way) the biggest difference other than the weight loss which is now 19 pounds is the change in my heart rate. Assuming Fitbit is somewhat accurate, my resting heart rate has went from the upper 60s to around 70, down to a new low of 56 today and I don’t have as many spikes in heart rate in just doing simple activity. Anyone who knows me knows I’m not a health freak by any stretch but it was time to do this 30 day thing and hopefully when I do decide to start occasionally drinking again, it will have helped me learn moderation. Anyone who’s looking to lose a little weight and just be overall healthier, I encourage you to try the 30 day no drinking and better eating plan! If you have any questions I’ll be happy to try to help! #NewMe #HealthierMe #2020sBeenWeirdButNotSoBadForMe!

Thanks for sharing. Been a crazy year and drinking def catching up to me, so need to pull back myself. Just imagine there are going to be lot of people running into all kinds of issues coming out of a tough year...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Awesome man! Good for you! Yeah, my health numbers that I’m aware of were never too out of whack (I’m only 32 though) however, I could just feel that I wasn’t well. Heart rate was very jumpy, I was always lethargic and tired after drinking even if just 3-4 beers the night before, I just couldn’t handle it anymore. So I started doing no alcohol and just a better diet. For the first 10-14 days I still felt kind of crappy (body may have been in shock from the abrupt stop in alcohol lol) but over the last week I feel much better and my heart rate has really responded beautifully. I don’t do any sort of special exercising either, really just the no alcohol and a better diet has done it for me. Good story man, keep it up! I look forward to occasionally drinking some again (I have about 50 various beers in my fridge) this is a good opportunity to let the stouts age until winter though haha, but I hope this will have helped me learn moderation when I do drink again. 

I feel the alcohol the most the next day when I drink high ABV beers.  I actually find a glass of whiskey or two to not really have any adverse affects the way beer does.  Nothing scientific to back that up of course.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I feel the alcohol the most the next day when I drink high ABV beers.  I actually find a glass of whiskey or two to not really have any adverse affects the way beer does.  Nothing scientific to back that up of course.  

Gotcha. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was truthful to some degree. Carbonation/acidity in beer messes up the insides and then add High abv to it. I mostly prefer beer but I do have a bottle of basil Hayden that will eventually be used to make manhattans and old fashioneds. When I decide to drink a little bit again of course 

13 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

Thanks for sharing. Been a crazy year and drinking def catching up to me, so need to pull back myself. Just imagine there are going to be lot of people running into all kinds of issues coming out of a tough year...

Yes I imagine it’s been very difficult for addicts, although I guess I could consider myself an addict to some degree. My body was forcing me to make a change though, I’m glad I listened to it

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

Gotcha. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was truthful to some degree. Carbonation/acidity in beer messes up the insides and then add High abv to it. I mostly prefer beer but I do have a bottle of basil Hayden that will eventually be used to make manhattans and old fashioneds. When I decide to drink a little bit again of course 

But also as an older guy (mid 30s) with two young kids who are up and active early I can't really afford to drink too much anymore.  Plus I like to sneak a run in before my kids are awake so that means I have to be awake extra early. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

But also as an older guy (mid 30s) with two young kids who are up and active early I can't really afford to drink too much anymore.  Plus I like to sneak a run in before my kids are awake so that means I have to be awake extra early. 

True. No kids here, just a needy girlfriend and an attention whore dog:lol:. They try to keep me straight though. 

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

Same with me. Beer messes with me way worse than a whiskey or two. Tequila is the absolute worst, but I’m not a fan anyway.

WTF is it with people driving even crazier than normal lately?  We were driving back from Nantucket on Saturday - the BW Parkway was literally a shtshow....about 5 different groups of cars weaving in/out of traffic going at least 100 mph - caused multiple cars to have to veer off into the shoulder to avoid accidents.  And the same can be send for any interstate around here lately.

Also, I’m astounded by how many people don’t use blinkers...no offense to the MD posters here but I find its usually MD drivers. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I still haven’t been able to find any up here. 

It's the first I've seen them anywhere since this started... tho Target had their off brand recently as well. I stocked up back in Feb so still have some but was starting to worry about my stock. 

2 hours ago, mappy said:

oh! i have a large bottle, plus walmart has had them in stock. 

Ordered two bottles off Amazon.  Was supposed to be july 28th before delivery but just got an email today its coming this weekend.   WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Anybody listen in to last evening's virtual Baltimore county school board of ed meeting? I did ...even though I live in Carroll county I wanted to get a feel for what  other counties are doing with respect with kids going back to school in the  fall . I listened for 45 minutes and what a disorganized mess it seemed to be . Every couple minutes there was dead air and someone would say ..I think we lost Mr . Smith..lol or someone would be reading off line 6 and the other members would be reading off line 4 for some reason :lol:. I lost interest quick and I swear I didnt hear anything about kids . The only thing I heard that made any sense was someone motioned to have an "in person" board meeting at one of the highschool auditoriums. They said making big decisions by email or virtual isn't  the right way to go about it .Hopefully Carroll county's live meeting tonight goes wayyy better . 

Fx Co schools are doing two options.  2 day in school/2 day distance OR 4 day distance.  Classes limited to 10 kids in school and proper spacing to maintain 6'

Its both good and bad for what they are offering as it still means theres a non zero chance a kid can get it and bring home not knowing.  What happens when teachers get it and so on is still unclear.  Masks are to be worn at all times except lunch.

Parents have tough choices to do whats best for each kid and also try to keep them safe.  My two girls each need something different.  One needs to be around others and in a school setting to thrive.  The other can get by with distance but my hope is to let her go 2 days as its her first year in middle school and the experience would do her good.

Not to get going down that rabbit hole but I wish things were better across the country so that schools would be in a better place not guessing if the surge seen elsewhere will get here.

Fx Co schools are doing two options.  2 day in school/2 day distance OR 4 day distance.  Classes limited to 10 kids in school and proper spacing to maintain 6'
Its both good and bad for what they are offering as it still means theres a non zero chance a kid can get it and bring home not knowing.  What happens when teachers get it and so on is still unclear.  Masks are to be worn at all times except lunch.
Parents have tough choices to do whats best for each kid and also try to keep them safe.  My two girls each need something different.  One needs to be around others and in a school setting to thrive.  The other can get by with distance but my hope is to let her go 2 days as its her first year in middle school and the experience would do her good.

Not to get going down that rabbit hole but I wish things were better across the country so that schools would be in a better place not guessing if the surge seen elsewhere will get here.

I’m gonna be slightly shocked if you don’t end up following Arlington and going all-online to start. Watched their school board meeting... it’s gonna be interesting for them.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

It is also interesting to watch the results come in.  75% response as of 10am (closes today).  In-person 53% vs distance learning 47%.  One thing about the 2 day hybrid is that the other days are asynchronous learning.  Which effectively means homework to my ears.  After watching my Kindergartener struggle to pay any attention to online learning in the Spring, we opted for the 2 days in person.

9 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

It is also interesting to watch the results come in.  75% response as of 10am (closes today).  In-person 53% vs distance learning 47%.  One thing about the 2 day hybrid is that the other days are asynchronous learning.  Which effectively means homework to my ears.  After watching my Kindergartener struggle to pay any attention to online learning in the Spring, we opted for the 2 days in person.

Yes about asynchronous learning.  My wife is an AP at an elementary school and basically it’s 2 days in school then a packet sent home without instruction.  I’d imagine they will go to full online learning to start the year given other districts moving there.

PG Co just decided on an all virtual online first semester. Have heard MoCo is moving in that direction. Tonight Fred Co has a virtual town hall with the BOE and FCPS. From what I can gather parents in Fred Co are pushing and all online first semester. Will be tuning in from 6-8 with parent in the FCPS system to see what the decision will be. 

1 hour ago, Mrs.J said:

PG Co just decided on an all virtual online first semester. Have heard MoCo is moving in that direction. Tonight Fred Co has a virtual town hall with the BOE and FCPS. From what I can gather parents in Fred Co are pushing and all online first semester. Will be tuning in from 6-8 with parent in the FCPS system to see what the decision will be. 

I have a feeling the rest of the state will follow suit, at least, most counties anyways. I imagine places like Garrett and Allegheny counties can send their kids without issue. But those in the 95-corridor... i just cant imagine them sending kids to school. 

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Carroll county put a questionnaire for parents out a few weeks ago and gathered opinions from faculty and staff etc and they released a pie chart and the majority wanted full in person instruction for the kids so we'll see tonight after the meeting what they're leaning towards probably. Unfortunately ( let's just say )I don't think families have much say in the end . 

Balt Co did the same thing. I believe a majority went with a hybrid. But cases in the state are rising steadily and its concerning. 

29 minutes ago, mappy said:

I have a feeling the rest of the state will follow suit, at least, most counties anyways. I imagine places like Garrett and Allegheny counties can send their kids without issue. But those in the 95-corridor... i just cant imagine them sending kids to school. 

Ms Mappy, I was able to look at a portion of the guidelines for NYC school openings. The guideline for sanitizing the entire school building, to be doable/successful would take a dramatic increase in trained custodial personnel and that’s  “If” the supplies to accomplish the task were actually and readily available. As always .......

7 hours ago, ErinInTheSky said:

I want to check out Comet Neowise tonight. Is there a good place in the region I can find a dark sky and an unobstructed view of the horizon?

Was at Darnestown Park last night. Still kinda bright but I could barely make it out with the naked eye. Much better with binoculars. I bet if you went farther down route 28 you could find open fields that were darker.

image.png.2be04f715ea80a1b60f1dc26f89aa6de.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Md is doing very well . Carroll county is doing well . I'd like to know the science and specific metrics they are using to come to there decisions. Decisions should be made on  County to county basis  . All the studies I've seen show extremely low risk for kids 18u either getting or spreading Covid. I say if large Daycares and YMCAs can open why not schools. Imo.

I believe the most sensible direction would be give the families the choice of 100% in person or 100% online . Also the teachers who don't want to come in person maybe  can be assigned to the online learning . :)

This is a very difficult decision. I’m torn. I really miss teaching live. I want to get back. Imo virtual instruction is woefully inadequate. Primary and even secondary education is just as much about the social aspect as the curriculum. Most job specific training comes as an adult. Yes kids needs basic reading and writing but mostly they need to learn how to analyze the world and participate in productive conversations that produce and expand knowledge. You can’t do that in an online class. Not very well.  

I also have an issue with how some teacher unions are marketing their policy advocacy.  “Dead kids” is bunk.  More kids are likely to die from accidents and other infections ancillary to attending school than covid.  The real threat is to the staff and the community.  And there are signs covid could cause less lethal but still serious side effects in some kids.  But all that is harder to fit in a sign then “dead kids”.

That said I’m also not sure how feasible an open is. The odds of avoiding mass closing seen low. Covid is still around. We just had a student in summer school diagnosed. Luckily it’s an online program but it highlights the issue. Every time a student gets diagnosed groups and schools will get closed.  I’m curious to see a district announce their mitigation strategy in the event a student gets diagnosed then a simulation run by a legitimate reputable source on how that would play out.  I’ve not seen that yet mostly because schools are being guarded with clear strategies. They don’t want to be boxed in. But it makes it impossible to run accurate impact calculus without those details. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic