Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2020

George BM

10 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

Has anyone stepped outside to see the Comet yet? The previous week you could see it really early in the morning, Tomorrowish you’ll be able to see it in the evening once it’s dark.

I was actually out for an early morning run (4am hour) this morning but never saw it despite clear skies. I was looking towards the northeastern horizon for it as I ran.

On 7/8/2020 at 1:59 PM, NorthArlington101 said:

Trying to write another article for CWG and I could really use the voice of a weather-loving teacher. I'm pretty sure @psuhoffman and @WinterWxLuvr are both teachers,  but there might be more of you! Reply or send me a message on here if you might be interested. No pressure, and I'm happy to tell you more about it.

Sorry I just saw this. Wasn’t on much. Crazy week at work then took some family time over the weekend. I would be glad to help any way I can if it’s not too late.  Just PM me 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, George BM said:

I was actually out for an early morning run (4am hour) this morning but never saw it despite clear skies. I was looking towards the northeastern horizon for it as I ran.

It might be an evening thing this week instead of a morning one...

1 hour ago, Rhino16 said:

It might be an evening thing this week instead of a morning one...

Correct. It was, however, only 5 degrees above the NNW horizon yesterday evening 80 minutes post-sunset (I did not see it). IIRC it will be 10 degrees above the horizon 80 minutes post-sunset by tomorrow evening (7/14) and up to 20 degrees above the NW horizon by 7/19 at the same time relative to sunset. All the while, however, it will probably ever so slowly be getting dimmer night by night as it moves away from the sun.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 5:40 PM, Ian said:

I'm sorta in between barbers I guess.. long story. But the time seemed right. I do believe I will go back to professionals at some point tho lol.  

Ran off to Twitter with everyone there but have noted multiple times how it was nice to be cordoned off from the rest of the world in a place like this vs that. 

It's funny how complicated the barber relationship can get.  Thinking of the great Seinfeld episode on that.

Twitter has its place, but so does this place.  The volume of posts on Twitter can get overwhelming, and its easy for the quality to get lost in the noise.  Plus, as you note, it's hard to compartmentalize topics.  So, when I just want to find out what's going on with the weather, I have to wade through a lot of unrelated material.  I keep it manageable by only following ~40 people.  I don't know how people like you manage following thousands of people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JakkelWx said:

After July 20th it's all downhill from here for avg daytime highs.

This better happen! Sweat my butt off at at horse show yesterday. It was down right oppressive and wearing a mask to watch the youngest Miss J compete I for one will be grateful for cooler temps. Although we did get rained on and that felt down right fantastic. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

It's funny how complicated the barber relationship can get.  Thinking of the great Seinfeld episode on that.

Twitter has its place, but so does this place.  The volume of posts on Twitter can get overwhelming, and its easy for the quality to get lost in the noise.  Plus, as you note, it's hard to compartmentalize topics.  So, when I just want to find out what's going on with the weather, I have to wade through a lot of unrelated material.  I keep it manageable by only following ~40 people.  I don't know how people like you manage following thousands of people.

Lists. I have many of them that i utilize during high traffic events. On those days I only follow the lists I've made vs my usual feed. While I don't follow thousands (less than 2K total) it does make it easier when you just want to see one topic and not 10 topics at once. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mappy said:

Lists. I have many of them that i utilize during high traffic events. On those days I only follow the lists I've made vs my usual feed. While I don't follow thousands (less than 2K total) it does make it easier when you just want to see one topic and not 10 topics at once. 

Twitter's biggest problem might be that it never stops. There's something to be said about a slower conversation. Plus I can't stay out of politics these days given the travesty of everything... so there's the angle of me potentially hurting myself by tweeting. I'm treating it like any other addiction for the moment.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

Just bought RadarScope the other day... no more rain for me until next year! 

That might be my favorite app. Pro Tier 1 is well worth the money if you don't already have it. Tier 2 has a ton of cool features but it's $100/year.. too much for my needs.

2 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

It was nice to see Ian post the other day. I was worried after he had both legs amputated but I was happy they were able to save his feet.

Is this a short joke? I missed you too. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Ian said:

Twitter's biggest problem might be that it never stops. There's something to be said about a slower conversation. Plus I can't stay out of politics these days given the travesty of everything... so there's the angle of me potentially hurting myself by tweeting. I'm treating it like any other addiction for the moment.

breaks are good, friend. do what you gotta. its nice having you post here in the meantime. if only the weather was more exciting. 

• Like 1

A couple people on here may know I love beer and that I recently am doing a 30 day no alcohol challenge along with food diet, I just want to quickly tell my story in case anyone else wants help...

So since I’ve been doing this 30 day no drinking alcohol and diet thing I’ve been doing (day 20 by the way) the biggest difference other than the weight loss which is now 19 pounds is the change in my heart rate. Assuming Fitbit is somewhat accurate, my resting heart rate has went from the upper 60s to around 70, down to a new low of 56 today and I don’t have as many spikes in heart rate in just doing simple activity. Anyone who knows me knows I’m not a health freak by any stretch but it was time to do this 30 day thing and hopefully when I do decide to start occasionally drinking again, it will have helped me learn moderation. Anyone who’s looking to lose a little weight and just be overall healthier, I encourage you to try the 30 day no drinking and better eating plan! If you have any questions I’ll be happy to try to help! #NewMe #HealthierMe #2020sBeenWeirdButNotSoBadForMe!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mappy said:

breaks are good, friend. do what you gotta. its nice having you post here in the meantime. if only the weather was more exciting. 

I find on Twitter that you need to have a decent amount of cat and dog accounts to follow. Breaks up everything else. Of course I have an account for my crazy crew of tabbies and their antics. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

A couple people on here may know I love beer and that I recently am doing a 30 day no alcohol challenge along with food diet, I just want to quickly tell my story in case anyone else wants help...

So since I’ve been doing this 30 day no drinking alcohol and diet thing I’ve been doing (day 20 by the way) the biggest difference other than the weight loss which is now 19 pounds is the change in my heart rate. Assuming Fitbit is somewhat accurate, my resting heart rate has went from the upper 60s to around 70, down to a new low of 56 today and I don’t have as many spikes in heart rate in just doing simple activity. Anyone who knows me knows I’m not a health freak by any stretch but it was time to do this 30 day thing and hopefully when I do decide to start occasionally drinking again, it will have helped me learn moderation. Anyone who’s looking to lose a little weight and just be overall healthier, I encourage you to try the 30 day no drinking and better eating plan! If you have any questions I’ll be happy to try to help! #NewMe #HealthierMe #2020sBeenWeirdButNotSoBadForMe!

Good for you!  I hope others follow your lead.  

My turning point was in December when my checkup revealed high blood pressure (154/95!) and high cholesterol levels, even though I was pretty active and I was within normal weight range at around 205 pounds.  So I cut back drinking substantially (went from 25-30 beers a week to now 5-10 beers a week, which is a challenge owning a brewery).  My diet is now whole grains, beans, nuts, fruits, vegetables and only the occasional helping of meat (usually fish).  I also bought a Nordic Track bike for indoors and a mountain bike for outdoors, and have used them every day for over 5 months.  Throw in a little resistance training and some meditation and I'm down to 180 pounds, my blood pressure this morning was 108/64 and I feel great every day, am more productive, and I've learned how to deal with stress so that its almost non-existent.  Over 7 months now and I can't imagine going back to my old ways.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Good for you!  I hope others follow your lead.  

My turning point was in December when my checkup revealed high blood pressure (154/95!) and high cholesterol levels, even though I was pretty active and I was within normal weight range at around 205 pounds.  So I cut back drinking substantially (went from 25-30 beers a week to now 5-10 beers a week, which is a challenge owning a brewery).  My diet is now whole grains, beans, nuts, fruits, vegetables and only the occasional helping of meat (usually fish).  I also bought a Nordic Track bike for indoors and a mountain bike for outdoors, and have used them every day for over 5 months.  Throw in a little resistance training and some meditation and I'm down to 180 pounds, my blood pressure this morning was 108/64 and I feel great every day, am more productive, and I've learned how to deal with stress so that its almost non-existent.  Over 7 months now and I can't imagine going back to my old ways.

Awesome man! Good for you! Yeah, my health numbers that I’m aware of were never too out of whack (I’m only 32 though) however, I could just feel that I wasn’t well. Heart rate was very jumpy, I was always lethargic and tired after drinking even if just 3-4 beers the night before, I just couldn’t handle it anymore. So I started doing no alcohol and just a better diet. For the first 10-14 days I still felt kind of crappy (body may have been in shock from the abrupt stop in alcohol lol) but over the last week I feel much better and my heart rate has really responded beautifully. I don’t do any sort of special exercising either, really just the no alcohol and a better diet has done it for me. Good story man, keep it up! I look forward to occasionally drinking some again (I have about 50 various beers in my fridge) this is a good opportunity to let the stouts age until winter though haha, but I hope this will have helped me learn moderation when I do drink again. 

3 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

I find on Twitter that you need to have a decent amount of cat and dog accounts to follow. Breaks up everything else. Of course I have an account for my crazy crew of tabbies and their antics. 

Mine gets broken up with GIS stuff. But yes, cat/dog accounts to follow are good!

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic