Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Banter 2020

George BM

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I have a friend who lives in Conway NH, and he is always moaning about how little snow he gets there compared to areas nearby. I think that area averages about 80". Whats the average annual snowfall where you are?

About 187" inches. Randolph had 207" this past winter. 

I am at about 1550". Conway is like 800 feet. So a decent difference.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

About 187" inches. Randolph had 207" this past winter. 

I am at about 1550". Conway is like 800 feet. So a decent difference.

That is a big difference.

I really like it up there, but not sure I want it for a primary place. The persistent brutal cold would become a drag in the winter.

I keep looking around out in the Canaan area. Gotta love the micro climate there, and it is a beautiful area for hiking etc. 130-160" of snow on average without the persistent cold. Sure it rains more and the snow doesn't stick around as long, but I am fine with that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

That is a big difference.

I really like it up there, but not sure I want it for a primary place. The persistent brutal cold would become a drag in the winter.

I keep looking around out in the Canaan area. Gotta love the micro climate there, and it is a beautiful area for hiking etc. 130-160" of snow on average without the persistent cold. Sure it rains more and the snow doesn't stick around as long, but I am fine with that.

Canaan is great. It’s a very long drive here too. We just wanted to go extreme. YOLO and all that. Haha

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I've chased Les  lots of times in Erie, Pa area and Erie sits at 800' but there's a little town just east of there called Edinboro and it sits at 1600' . The locals say they double Erie's totals almost every time.  Kind of a mini Tug Hill plateau lol.

Edinboro is one of the snowiest locales in PA. It is very close with the area of NW PA between Erie and Jamestown, NY. They average 150-180" of snow a year. It's a top 10 location east of the Mississippi.

Average snowfall NE Ohio and NW Pennsylvania

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ian said:

I (my gf) buzzed my hair the other night. First time ever. It's weird but also nice. I feel like I can go days without showering now. 

Also I'm gonna try to be back. I have missed the more focused and friendly discussion of this place lately. 

Welcome back!

With a beach trip upcoming, I finally broke down and cut my own hair last week.  Let's just say I'm not going to put my barber out of a job, but it looks and feels a lot better than it did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I just realized I could purchase a place and market rooms here during snow season. LOL that would pay for the place. 

We’d have The Panic Room referring actual business to the Redemption Retreat. 

:lol: 

Its almost mid July.

About time for a Winter 2020-21 discussion thread isn't it? Never too early to speculate about the next disaster. So many ways to fail..

20 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Its almost mid July.

About time for a Winter 2020-21 discussion thread isn't it? Never too early to speculate about the next disaster. So many ways to fail..

The southeastern one started one in January, and they’ve had better winters recently than we have!

1 minute ago, JakkelWx said:

Winter 20-21 couldn't possibly be worse than last winter, right?

No... it can’t be... All the kids usually want snow so school will close, but if school is online, then it will snow 3 feet each week because you cannot really close online school. Calling it now.

11 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Winter 20-21 couldn't possibly be worse than last winter, right?

Hard to imagine. I mean less than an inch of snow for almost the entire MA coastal plain? Philly had their most futile snowfall winter ever with 0.3" I think.

I will take my chances with a Nina, if that's where we are headed. We can do average snow in a Nina year. The back to back coastals that crushed the beaches in Jan of 17 and 18 happened in Nina winters. Also the Dec storm that is never to be mentioned here(2010) was a good hit for the Delmarva. particularly eastern areas.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I haven’t seen a good winter since 2013-14.

2017-18 was literally right at seasonal average in my yard, plus the bomb cyclone beach chase, so cant hate on that. But yeah outside of that, its been pretty lean for cold and snow lately.

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Welcome back!

With a beach trip upcoming, I finally broke down and cut my own hair last week.  Let's just say I'm not going to put my barber out of a job, but it looks and feels a lot better than it did.

I'm sorta in between barbers I guess.. long story. But the time seemed right. I do believe I will go back to professionals at some point tho lol.  

Ran off to Twitter with everyone there but have noted multiple times how it was nice to be cordoned off from the rest of the world in a place like this vs that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ian said:

I was trying to think of places that are warm with no humidity on the reg.. not like 100 warm I used to live in one in the desert of CA. San Diego and?

San Diego’s climate is so unique, it isn’t replicated anywhere in the US.  If you want dry, you are going to end up with a larger seasonal range of temps.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic