Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2020 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

7 hours ago, Brian D said:

Muggy day here in Two Harbors, MN. Mid 80's with dewpoints in the upper 60's to 70deg. Lake Superior helping a little in keeping temps from blossoming.

Hi all. New member here. Chicago Storm, how you been after all these years? I'm Brisr from accuweather forum years ago. Hope everyone having a good day.

hot n humid.png

Welcome nice to see another MN member.  

Training thunderstorms producing flash flooding in the far southern metro and areas south this evening. 

11 hours ago, RobertSul said:

At least the wind chill is only 90 degrees!

The heat index made it up to around 100 which is about as hot as it gets up this way and yeah, the breeze did help :lol: .  Disappointed tho with all the moisture, only managed .22" of rain overnight/early this morning.  Won't complain much, 5.32" for the month.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Got about a half inch of rain this evening, and a pretty nice light show for a few hours.  Much heavier rains all around us, but I'll take what we got, as it looks dry for the next 7-10 days as Hawkeye said.

Normally I wouldn't mind dry and mild, but I need a lawn in order to get my final occupancy permit on my new home (which is dumb, but i digress). So I am going to be wasting money watering some dirt until the grass comes in. 

10 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Got about a half inch of rain this evening, and a pretty nice light show for a few hours.  Much heavier rains all around us, but I'll take what we got, as it looks dry for the next 7-10 days as Hawkeye said.

Pretty similar here.  About a quarter of an inch, the initial heavy band of precip passed without thunder or lightning, just heavy rain and wind, but then the lightning and thunder came for about 20 minutes after the heaviest was well to the south already.  Now a random wave of better convergence/moisture looks like it may pass with a wave tomorrow.  Another quarter to half inch would be satisfying to make sure we don't dry out too much.

On 7/26/2020 at 7:28 AM, weatherbo said:

The heat index made it up to around 100 which is about as hot as it gets up this way and yeah, the breeze did help :lol: .  Disappointed tho with all the moisture, only managed .22" of rain overnight/early this morning.  Won't complain much, 5.32" for the month.

do you have AC?

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

do you have AC?

Just a small window unit in the bedroom.  Average  low here during the peak of summer is generally around 55 so usually only use mother nature’s ac but this summer has been very different. As I mentioned in another post, 80’s have been pretty routine. The lake breeze has been nice in the afternoons tho. 

• Like 1

I learned something new today. “Mega-Rain” is apparently an official metrological term for a storm that produces six inches of rain or more over roughly 1000 square miles. 

The July 25-26 event over southern Minnesota is the first in the state since 2016.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/journal/southern-minnesota-mega-rain-july-25-26-2020.html

0FE573F2-A4A0-49B2-A517-D1F4454402AF.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/25/2020 at 3:06 PM, Brian D said:

Muggy day here in Two Harbors, MN. Mid 80's with dewpoints in the upper 60's to 70deg. Lake Superior helping a little in keeping temps from blossoming.

Hi all. New member here. Chicago Storm, how you been after all these years? I'm Brisr from accuweather forum years ago. Hope everyone having a good day.

How's it going? It's been a while...

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

We got dumped on this afternoon. I caught 2.21" in 45 minutes, approaching 2.5" for the day.  Street flooding galore.  A buddy said his weather station recorded a 5.17" rainfall rate at the peak of the storm.

Same thing here. Only 1.76" in my tippy bucket though. It did rain straight down and quite hard for a bit here also. Kind of reminded me of Taiwan type afternoon *showers*.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

How's it going? It's been a while...

About a decade I'd say. Still pluggin along. Doing good now. Still dabble in long range forecasts.

Speaking of which, the start of Met Fall, will seem like the weather for the true Fall start on the equinox. Especially in my neck of the woods. A bit chilly with earlier than normal widespread frosts up here.

Weather was so muggy this past weekend, but Sunday night, a Canadian front moved through with refreshing air. It's much nicer now. Not using a/c, so northern air is awesome.

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Was walking out to my truck after work a short while ago and noticed a large thunderhead waaaaay down on the distant northeast horizon.  Could tell it was quite strong, and kind of guessed it could be way up by Milwaukee.  Was quite surprised to see that the storm is actually way up by Sheboygan!

I think the cell on the South Dakota/Iowa border was more impressive.

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Was walking out to my truck after work a short while ago and noticed a large thunderhead waaaaay down on the distant northeast horizon.  Could tell it was quite strong, and kind of guessed it could be way up by Milwaukee.  Was quite surprised to see that the storm is actually way up by Sheboygan!

Different storm about an hour and a half thereafter, but this was taken from northern Ozaukee County looking toward Sheboygan:

C6BA5F15-F53E-4944-9351-C7656A957AC9.jpeg

Some incredible heat index readings on the other side of the world around the Persion Gulf this morning (afternoon there).  On shore flow off the blazingly warm Persion Gulf is blowing in extreme humidity, with dews in the mid 80s in several locations.  One location (Jask in Iran) has a dew of 90.  The big winner for what must be absolute hell on Earth goes to Bandar Iran, where they are at 109/86 with a heat index of 148 lol.  

wow.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2