Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2020 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

6 hours ago, Powerball said:

It's going to be a race against time today.

Starting off warm with a temp of 77*F, clear skies and 925mb temps of 25*C, but the clouds and convection are steadily moving NE.

Most models still have us tagging 90*F though, which would make it the 9th consecutive day for Detroit.

DET did tag an intra-hour 90*F before the storms moved in, but unfortuntely DTW wasn't so lucky only making it to 87*F.

So the 90*F+ streak officially ended yesterday, after 8 consecutive days.

15 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Off topic, but geez! Some of the flooding vid's out of China are sick stuff! Talk about "biblical", and there's a major dam that's shifting and bowing. Hate to see the results if that fails. What we had in the middle of the Mitt was horrible enough. I know it's a different culture and all, but that one video was just nuts. An open air kitchen/diner with the cook waste deep in flowing (nasty brown) river water while frying what looked like fish on a commercial frying grill barely above the nasty water and 2 customers calmly sitting on their stools waiting for their dinner. OMG how disgusting! Now all those multi-story building collapses as entire down-towns are getting washed away. I've watched wx vid's for decades and this is some of the craziest I can remember ever seeing.

I couldn't find the diner with waist-deep brown water flowing past him video, any link or what keywords to search for? That would be two insane wx videos in 24 hours. BTW, did you find out what date that severe thunderstorm you were mentioning about from 2003?

The instability is extremely high here today where convection just exploded all over southern ON around 12:20 pm. I wasn't expecting rain til 2 or so and it poured at 1:30 pm instead. Still raining lightly but should intensify. Its too bad the day is ruined with clouds and rain now. Strong thunderstorms? lol.

• Like 1

Well, that was fun.  The MCS didn't look impressive on radar but boy did it pack some nasty winds.  I got about 6-8 minutes of 60-70 mph gusts.  Had a brief brownout about 1 minute after the winds started.  The winds came 3-4 minutes before the rain and they were the strongest before the rains hit.  Pretty sure hawkeye_wx cashed in on this, although not sure if he has power.  I never lost power here.

• Like 4

On 7/10/2020 at 2:17 PM, Torchageddon said:

I couldn't find the diner with waist-deep brown water flowing past him video, any link or what keywords to search for? That would be two insane wx videos in 24 hours. BTW, did you find out what date that severe thunderstorm you were mentioning about from 2003?

The instability is extremely high here today where convection just exploded all over southern ON around 12:20 pm. I wasn't expecting rain til 2 or so and it poured at 1:30 pm instead. Still raining lightly but should intensify. Its too bad the day is ruined with clouds and rain now. Strong thunderstorms? lol.

About 1:12 into this video you will see the kitchen or open market food prep going on: 

(I don't remember mentioning a T-storm event circa 2003. Can't help with that one)

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2020 at 2:16 PM, Powerball said:

DET did tag an intra-hour 90*F before the storms moved in, but unfortuntely DTW wasn't so lucky only making it to 87*F.

So the 90*F+ streak officially ended yesterday, after 8 consecutive days.

yes but DET was also 88 on the 4th and 89 on the 5th, so their streak, even with the extra day, was only 5 consecutive days.

Been quite busy so I did not comment earlier but had very interesting weather on Friday. Torrential downpour hit wyandotte dropping 2.55" of rain in 45 minutes around 730pm. Caused some brief flash flooding and flooded basements despite the parched landscape. I was actually not home when it happened, I was north of Detroit where it was bone dry at the time but that would be the among the heaviest rainfall rates I could recall. DTW, just 7 miles west received only 0.01" from that same storm. Conversely earlier in the afternoon, DTW was soaked with a 1.59" storm when wyandotte only had a trace. All in all the total rainfall for the day was 2.06" at DTW and 2.67" at Wyandotte. Definitely much needed rain and much of SE MI got in on heavy rain but it was really weird how it was coming in a bunch of isolated torrents hitting different areas at different times.

• Like 1

Not in this sub, but some pretty incredible stuff from out at Death Valley California, at Furnace Creek.  They haven't been below 100 degrees (on the hour) since early Saturday morning when it dipped to a frosty 93 degrees.  Saturday night, and Sunday night both stayed above 100 degrees.  Looks like they hit 127 yesterday.  This is a NWS maintained sensor site btw.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=DEVC1&num=72&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Not in this sub, but some pretty incredible stuff from out at Death Valley California, at Furnace Creek.  They haven't been below 100 degrees (on the hour) since early Saturday morning when it dipped to a frosty 93 degrees.  Saturday night, and Sunday night both stayed above 100 degrees.  Looks like they hit 127 yesterday.  This is a NWS maintained sensor site btw.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=DEVC1&num=72&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

That should be something I do one day, experience 100F in the middle of the night. A good trip I'd say!

It was mainly cloudy for the 3rd straight day today, awful. 

14 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Nice storm about to roll in from the northwest. CAMs I looked at earlier today didn't really show Madison getting much of anything, so that's nice although the severe threat kind of went pfffft.

New warning with the cell to the west.  Tons of lightning with these things 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madwx said:

New warning with the cell to the west.  Tons of lightning with these things 

20% chance of any rain overnight, yet the remains of this complex survived all the way to the lake.  I'm thinking it's a positive feedback effect of all the rain we had last week; sure beats negative feedback we've had some years with drought developing in summer.  Some house rattling thunder even.

really like the idea of a linear MCS riding down the lake early sunday morning on the euro, hope it verifies

I definitely think we are in play for an MCS or two that forms in MN and vicinity, to make it in during the Sat night to Mon morning timeframe.

But that idea on the Euro of having a complex push SSW from Northern-Lower MI is not gonna happen in a solid zonal W-E pattern.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1