• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2020 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

Funny how it didn't even rain enough to get the pavement completely wet here, yet 3 miles away it rains an inch in an hour.  Pin-prick-sized stationary lake-breeze shower lasted 40 minutes.  Surprised there was no thunder.  There's a lot of moisture in the air, but it only comes out in one small random location.  Lots of places are very very brown.

Untitled.png

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Ridge was shunted, so some southward displacement of the heat on this run compared to 00z.

Good.  Maybe there will be a chance of ridge-riding complexes turning right / driving SE into the heat.  I'm so tired of this hot dry pattern with the jet up in Canada and organized convection confined to the northern border.

• Like 1

Nice isolated storm inland from Ludington.  I cloud see the tower blossoming up through the haze from here.  I thought it was much closer.  It seems like storms can pop up closer to the lake there because there's significant hills.  Southern Lake Michigan is surrounded by flat so it's hard for anything to pop up. :(

• Like 1

Off topic, but geez! Some of the flooding vid's out of China are sick stuff! Talk about "biblical", and there's a major dam that's shifting and bowing. Hate to see the results if that fails. What we had in the middle of the Mitt was horrible enough. I know it's a different culture and all, but that one video was just nuts. An open air kitchen/diner with the cook waste deep in flowing (nasty brown) river water while frying what looked like fish on a commercial frying grill barely above the nasty water and 2 customers calmly sitting on their stools waiting for their dinner. OMG how disgusting! Now all those multi-story building collapses as entire down-towns are getting washed away. I've watched wx vid's for decades and this is some of the craziest I can remember ever seeing.

5 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The heaviest cells bypassed me, but I still managed to get some solid training and finish with 1.52" of rain.  Once again, however, there was very little, very quiet thunder.  This will go down as the year without lightning/thunder.

There was lots of thunder here, but it was almost all soft rumbles from the middle part of the cloud.  It don’t know what it takes to create a lot of CGs.  I kept watching the rain shafts for big strikes but they never came.  Just flashes and soft peals.

It's going to be a race against time today.

Starting off warm with a temp of 77*F, clear skies and 925mb temps of 25*C, but the clouds and convection are steadily moving NE.

Most models still have us tagging 90*F though, which would make it the 9th consecutive day for Detroit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fluoronium said:

Had some nice storms yesterday, nothing crazy but it brought some desperately needed rain (and lightning :lol:)

Received about 3/4" of rain which was more than the entire month of June here. 

Where are you located?  I took Champaign for instance and they received over 7" in June.  Gradient is pretty stark clearly.