Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2020 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

4 minutes ago, DLMKA said:

What’s the primary driver(s) for the air quality alerts across much of CONUS?

A few things combining to create these: frequent evening fireworks this weekend, low wind and dry dewpoints.  It's another benefit of living near the lake; typically if you have a lake breeze that's enough air current to mitigate the poor air quality once the lake breeze kicks up.

1 hour ago, wisconsinwx said:

A few things combining to create these: frequent evening fireworks this weekend, low wind and dry dewpoints.  It's another benefit of living near the lake; typically if you have a lake breeze that's enough air current to mitigate the poor air quality once the lake breeze kicks up.

The lake breeze clears out dust and pollen but increases invisible ozone.  If you're sensitive to ozone the lake makes it worse.  It tends to have less pollen and dust though if that's what bothers you.  It's kind of a choose your poison thing. 

It's not as clean as an ocean sea-breeze because the smaller volume of the inversion-trapped marine air can collect more and more pollution over time.  Stagnant high pressure is causing high ozone levels near the lakes.  There's some trapped fireworks smoke around as well. 

• Like 3

Yep, it looks like this heat dome is going to stick around for awhile this month with only minor fluctuations.  I have moved from central IN up to Griffith to keep an eye on our moderator Hoosier.  lol     Actually I have moved up here to be closer to family in my retirement five minutes away in Highland.  But I will miss sending in reports to all of you from the ne side of Indpls metro as I have been doing for the past six years.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Yep, it looks like this heat dome is going to stick around for awhile this month with only minor fluctuations.  I have moved from central IN up to Griffith to keep an eye on our moderator Hoosier.  lol     Actually I have moved up here to be closer to family in my retirement five minutes away in Highland.  But I will miss sending in reports to all of you from the ne side of Indpls metro as I have been doing for the past six years.

Enjoy your retirement and welcome back to da region.

1 hour ago, Indystorm said:

Congratulations on your retirement, but do people in your profession really ever retire? I'm glad that you have the opportunity to be close to your family.

Thanks for the well wishes Hoosier and IWXwx.  Since I grew up in Hobart it's like it's around the world and back again.  Now if we can just get past coronovirus with a vaccine or effective treatment I will be most happy and thankful.  In the meantime I intend to get out hiking locally and watching the weather.

Looks to be a little bit higher threat for a few thunderstorms in the region this afternoon, with the lake breeze slowly moving inland and a weak disturbance now in NW IA/SW MN. Storm motions will be <10KT so the few who get rain may get a good/brief soaking.

Boundary palooza as it has been the last few days.  Always interesting when you have a shortwave and the lake breeze both in play.  Those storms near Madison look pretty angry, but we know how this can play out, already had a weakening storm move through so at least on the board once again.

• Like 1