Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2020 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

55 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

Yah it really was quite a streak. Louisville which often is hotter there longest streak was like 21 so yah pretty amazing 

I remember toward the end of the Indy streak that there was a day where it looked like there was no way they were going to make it to 90 and yet they did.  That was quite a run. 

5 hours ago, Powerball said:

DTW managed an intra-hour 90*F today, so the streak continues...

Same happened at GRR.  Little backdoor cooling off Lake Huron and a thin cirrus canopy around mid-day wasn't enough.  Lower dews allowed it rebound late in the afternoon once full sunshine returned.  It briefly hit 90 between 5pm and 6pm.    From here on out the only event that could possibly thwart a long streak of 90s will be random thunderstorms.  I don't think the coverage will be widespread enough tomorrow, and wednesday through friday look so hot that it may hit 90 early, so even an afternoon storm/outflow probably won't get in the way.

Pretty big change in the 0z runs (GFS, GGEM) starting next weekend as far as heat goes. To this point they were showing the heat lasting to the 19th-20th area. Now both are showing the center of the ridge over the rockies instead of the plains with a trough over the lakes/ov. Now only showing highs in the 60's and 70's. This would be much welcomed relief.

sfct.us_mw.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The Cedar Rapids airport has not hit 90º since early June.

Cedar Rapids’ airport must be in an unfavored area for higher temps because I notice Waterloo consistently a few degrees warmer (but with lower dews) than Cedar Rapids.  I don’t think climatologically speaking there should be that difference.

Maybe the fact that the airport is in the SW side of town, when the warmer temps out of the W/S arrive there is no extra city warming being brought about may play a factor compared to other Iowa cities?

3 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Solid number ^

You might make it through this stretch without any real heat at this rate.  Usually there is a day or two with a stronger gradient out ahead of a low or something but not really seeing it at this point.  

3 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

Some unexpected cells popped up just to the north of Milwaukee, and are now bringing us bonus rain on a day where prior to the morning update, had less than a 20% chance of anything popping up.  A deluge in spots.

There was also a tiny cell over the GRR airport this afternoon.  Black cloud base drifted right overhead, but the rain shaft only appeared once it moved off to the SE of me.  I heard about two claps of thunder as it slowly moved away, but not even a single drop of rain fell IMBY.

4 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

Some unexpected cells popped up just to the north of Milwaukee, and are now bringing us bonus rain on a day where prior to the morning update, had less than a 20% chance of anything popping up.  A deluge in spots.

One washed out a railroad bridge near Oostburg and derailed a coal train bound for Sheboygan.

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

One washed out a railroad bridge near Oostburg and derailed a coal train bound for Sheboygan.

Wow, a bit unexpected for sure then.  I went to a hidden gem (not so hidden today) called Lion's Den Gorge Nature Area, on Lake Michigan near Grafton.  We were in between the two areas of convection, and the sky was completely blue out over Lake Michigan (as expected with the lake breeze subsidence).  On the way back we ran into the cell going through the Milwaukee area, which was pretty intense for a time, and the Sheboygan area storm looked even more intense.